Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How long have you been studying Japanese?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Less than 1 year
27%
1-2 years
18%
2-5 years
32%
5-10 years
9%
10-15 years
5%
over 15 years
9%

Total votes: 22

mvogel
New in Town

Postby mvogel » January 12th, 2009 9:25 pm

Just a curious question. I have been going at it on and off for 15 years. The first 2 were intense with 2 hours a day. The next 12 years was on and off just to maintain and I have been back on it again seriously for the last year.

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » January 13th, 2009 8:37 pm

15yrs is a long time! It's most of my age, how advanced are you in the language now then?

I learnt kana when about two years ago, just to get by with Japanese websites I visited, then picked up Japanese from media that I watched/listened to. But, I officially started learning Japanese in October 2008. I think I've learnt quite a bit in that time, although I have exams, so I'm talking two weeks off.. (well, I still read, write, speak and listen to Japanese everyday, but not as much now I have to study other things).

Is that on and off too? Maybe. But, I never thought I'd fully learn Japanese, now I'm quite determined to and I can't wait to get to the level of fluency of some people I know and some people on this site too.

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 13th, 2009 11:00 pm

I officially started learning when I signed up to this site (February 2007). I've tried to do some amount of studying every day, even if it's just listening to a couple of Jpod lessons. Since I started late (age 21), I've tried to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible. Aside from Jpod, the biggest help has been Heisig and Anki.

momopeaches
New in Town

Postby momopeaches » January 14th, 2009 4:06 am

I started really studying Japanese when I took my first formal college class in the fall of 2007. I couldn't afford to take the next class, so it was a year and some change before I was able to take the next one. Wouldn't you know it, I got sick the whole quarter. I've recently been going back and memorizing all the information I forgot from when I first started. Directions still give me issues! I'm trying to study a little bit every day, using Anki, my own flash cards at home, the textbook Genki, Jpod, and other Japanese podcasts. I'm not amazing yet. I've only just started to do kanjis..

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 17th, 2009 10:20 am

Javizy wrote:Since I started late (age 21)

21 late?! Oh to be so young and carefree again. Barely an adult in Japanese society.
Late is the 70 year old woman who takes up Japanese. (taught by an acquaintance of mine)

kino261988
New in Town

Postby kino261988 » January 17th, 2009 11:20 am

i study Japanese for about a year already, i study on my own because Japanese language school in my country is too very expensive i can't afford it, but because of free audio lesson of Japanesepod101.com i learn so much ... i noticed that learning from a book is too different from voice lesson... today my free 7 day trial had expired... i only can access is the free audio... i don't had money to pay to subscribe to a premium one... tomorrow back to the book again.... all i can say is i had a nice experience here in Japanesepod101.com... mina san gambatte...

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » January 17th, 2009 3:46 pm

FYI kino261988-san, if you subscribe to Japanesepod101 on iTunes you can continue to get new lessons for free as they are released. You only need a basic or premium account to listen to the lessons older than three weeks. So if you subscribe to the iTunes feed and get the lessons as they're released you can still continue to listen even without a subscription. :)

You can read more about it here: http://blogs.japanesepod101.com/blog/2008/11/07/change-dont-be-left-behind/

kinyobi
Been Around a Bit

Postby kinyobi » January 30th, 2009 4:25 am

For me it's really hard to say, I've heard Japanese spoken nearly every month when mom used to call her relatives in Japan. But I didn't really indulge in learning it because we both had other objectives.

I did learn most of the Kana as a child mostly Hiragana, but found Katakana to be a little difficult so I put it off. I never learned Kanji aside from the numbers 1-10 and the simple ones like Big and Small, up and down.

Recently I got the bug to push myself to learn again; I tried in the past with just books like Living Language (Conversational Japanese) but they only taught me just Romaji and I felt I was missing the big picture. So now I am learning Japanese usage through Podcasts here and trying to incorporate the Hiragana and lessons taught here. I am itching to learn Kanji because it looks fun, but a friend of mine who is on her 4th of Japanese course in Hawaii told me to learn the basics first before jumping head first into memorizing Kanji. (Reluctantly I believe she is right, I just want to rush things - that actually take time for your brain to absorb).

Still playing catch up on the lessons and still time warped back in 2006-07 - as each new Jpod lesson comes out now I feel like darn I must be missing something good, but a failthfully listen to them in order (Survival, Newbie and Beginner Lessons).

I will have to go back and review the PDF when time permits because each class seems to build upon previous information.

I think what got me inspired again was some searches on YouTube has shown a lot of Foreigners are learning Japanese and were self-taught speaking well in video blogs and such - made me feel jealous in a way, thinking I am a Ni-Sei and can't speak the language (how sad is that).

So the drive to learn was sparked.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”