Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Why there are not Electronic Dictionaries for foreigners?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Marius
New in Town

Why there are not Electronic Dictionaries for foreigners?

Postby Marius » July 7th, 2009 1:32 am

Please somebody can explain why the Japanese don't make electronic dictionaries for foreigners??? Of course you can use one they sell in Japan for Japanese, but that's not the point. Maybe there are not many foreigners in Japan to produce exclusively a product for them, but what about the rest of the world outside trying to learn Japanese. It seems like they don't even want to spread their language. This is my first complain about Japanese of a very long list I have after living two years in Japan.
Japanese is a nightmare.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: Why there are not Electronic Dictionaries for foreigners

Postby untmdsprt » July 7th, 2009 11:24 am

Marius wrote:Maybe there are not many foreigners in Japan to produce exclusively a product for them, but what about the rest of the world outside trying to learn Japanese. It seems like they don't even want to spread their language.

You've answered your own question. A majority of the people I come in contact with will speak English even when I first speak Japanese to them. I special ordered an electronic dictionary about 2 years ago when I was in the states, and I made it a point to learn most of it so I can get to the things I need. Doesn't matter to me that the menus aren't in English. Makes learning Japanese faster than ever.

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » July 7th, 2009 12:02 pm

It's definitely difficult, if not impossible for beginners, but if you've been studying for a few years then an all-Japanese interface shouldn't be much of a problem, and it might even help you learn a few words here and there.

AngryKatie
New in Town

Advice a bit late

Postby AngryKatie » September 26th, 2009 11:23 am

When I was moving to Japan I knew I would need an electronic dictionary but most of the really nice ones were expensive and the interfaces were quite daunting.

What I did was purchase a Nintendo DS. The DS is region free so it can play games/software from both countries and the charger is exactly the same for both countries so no converter is needed.

There is an electronic Japanese to English (and vice versa) program you can buy for the DS that has been a lifesaver for me in Japan. You can type in English, Kana, or draw Kanji that you don't know with the DS touch pen.

A Nintendo DS will cost you $129 (US) and the software will run you about $50. The software is not sold outside of Japan so I suggest you purchase it online from YesAsia or the retailer of your choice. The game I mentioned can be found here: http://www.yesasia.com/us/kanji-sonomama-ds-rakubiki-jiten-japan-version/1004145615-0-0-0-en/info.html and http://www.jbox.com/PRODUCT/DS3516.

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » November 18th, 2009 8:27 am

Even better, buy an iPod Touch and download a fully featured dictionary ( Kotoba ) for free.

mslozada
Been Around a Bit

Re: There are no Electronic Dictionaries for foreigners?

Postby mslozada » November 18th, 2009 10:36 am

Marius wrote:It seems like they don't even want to spread their language. This is my first complain about Japanese of a very long list I have after living two years in Japan.
Japanese is a nightmare.

After 2 years in Japan and already having a long list of complaints about Japanese is not a good sign. Not only Japanese, but there quite lots of other stuffs that don't (or should not) make it outside Japan. If you could just accept the fact how things are and " let it be as it is ", then all your problems will dissapear.

(South Park: " They've been doing that for a longtime, but its just the way they are ")

:D

1 year in Japan is enough to pass the JLPT lvl 2 from zero Japanese. Your Japanese should be now by lvl 1, so why on earth are you having trouble with that " easy to understand " 電子辞書 (denshi jisho) Japanese Electronic Dictionary. What have you been doing until now ?

Using a 電子辞書 is pure luxury and an easy way of life. I know some people who passed the JLPT lvl 1 without using " not even once " a 電子辞書. So cheer up :!:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: There are no Electronic Dictionaries for foreigners?

Postby untmdsprt » November 18th, 2009 12:41 pm

mslozada wrote:
Marius wrote:1 year in Japan is enough to pass the JLPT lvl 2 from zero Japanese. Your Japanese should be now by lvl 1, so why on earth are you having trouble with that " easy to understand " 電子辞書 (denshi jisho) Japanese Electronic Dictionary. What have you been doing until now ?

I beg to differ on that one. I study every day and I'm still struggling to get past level 3. I've been here nearly two years myself. My biggest complaint is I've yet to find a person that won't keep switching to English when I ask them to repeat themselves. Switching to English is not going to do any good when all they need to do is to speak up!

My listening practice has been limited to conversations at school (not involving me), train announcements, audio CDs, and TV.

If you'd care to shed some light on what I'm doing wrong in why I'm not at level 2 by now, I'm all ears.

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » November 18th, 2009 3:23 pm

untmdsprt, I think your correct on that one. Personally I was able to pass jlpt lvl 2 but that took me about 1 year and three months, and that was going to a formal language school 5 days a week 4 hours a day. My results on the test were passing but not even so spectacular... around 310 out of 400. mslozada's friend who passed JLPT1 without using a 電子辞書 (denshijisho) even one is probably a 中国人 (chugokujin) Chinese person. My main issue with the dictionary is not the interface but that it isn't a real dictionary. They give you translations.

for example if you look up 国 it will come up with country. but in the japanese/japanese dictionary it says 一つの政府治められている地域。国家。国土

I want that same explanation in English. Not just the translation country. On such an easy word it may not seem like such a big deal but when it comes to adjectives, emotions and other things that aren't so easy it would make a huge difference.

by the way I do agree with the other poster. I don't think the Japanese want others to learn their language. Especially native English speakers. Its like because you speak English and your in Japan your sole purpose in life is to teach them English, and their friends English... and their children English.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » November 18th, 2009 4:51 pm

mieth wrote:I want that same explanation in English. Not just the translation country. On such an easy word it may not seem like such a big deal but when it comes to adjectives, emotions and other things that aren't so easy it would make a huge difference.

Get an iPod with 大辞林. The worst thing about electronic dictionaries is that they're an overpriced waste of space since iPhone/iTouch was released. I actually can't imagine studying Japanese without one any more. If you insist on using a pen for character recognition, there is a third party stylus available, although I haven't tried it.

untmdsprt, I'd recommend making SRS for all grammar points, vocabulary, and kanji you need for the test. Itemising everything you need to know gives you some idea of how long it's going to take to get to your goal, and the SRS will make sure you don't forget it. The test itself is easier than you might think, since the questions don't fully test your understanding. I've been doing loads of JLPT2 questions lately, and it's hard to get them wrong even if I barely understand what the words mean.

mieth
Expert on Something

Postby mieth » November 18th, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks for heads up on that dictionary. I guess It is time that I be making the move to japanese/japanese anyway.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » November 18th, 2009 9:04 pm

mieth wrote:Thanks for heads up on that dictionary. I guess It is time that I be making the move to japanese/japanese anyway.

Cool, let me know what it's like. I've wanted a 国語辞書 for a while now, but I don't know if I would get my money's worth out of it. Nowadays, I just use my Jap-Eng dictionary to add the word to a vocabulary list. I e-mail the list to myself, then run it through a program that makes Anki cards with goo definitions and Tanaka corpus example sentences. This way, I should never forget a word that I look up, although I have a backlog of about 4000 from a JLPT list...

You can find this stylus on Amazon by the way. I saw another video where the guy used a drawing app, but he was using a thick brush, so it was hard to tell how good it would be for kanji. It has to be more accurate than your finger though. I might give it a try.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » November 19th, 2009 3:24 am

Javizy wrote:
untmdsprt, I'd recommend making SRS for all grammar points, vocabulary, and kanji you need for the test. Itemising everything you need to know gives you some idea of how long it's going to take to get to your goal, and the SRS will make sure you don't forget it. The test itself is easier than you might think, since the questions don't fully test your understanding. I've been doing loads of JLPT2 questions lately, and it's hard to get them wrong even if I barely understand what the words mean.

I've been using the smart.fm site for the SRS learning. They now have an iPhone app so I can study all the time and not have to be at my computer. I've found the more Japanese words I know, the easier it is to continue in Japanese. I have started speaking in a mixture of English and Japanese but it's helping to making that transition to all Japanese. :)

mutley
Been Around a Bit

Postby mutley » November 30th, 2009 4:11 am

I can't see how the average person can go from zero Japanese to 2-kyuu in just 1 year unless they were studying pretty much not stop at a language school as well as using most of their free evenings to review as well.
From what I've seen I'd say even living in Japan and studying most days, zero-3-kyuu would take a about a year, then another to 2-kyuu and another to 1-kyuu. I've met a lot of people who studied Japanese at university for 3-4 years and are still only around 2-kyuu. I don't know anyone who has taken 1-kyuu after just 2 years. Maybe it's possible, but not for the average person, especially if they are also working and have limited free time.

Back on topic though. I only started usuing an electronic dictionary recently after studying for a couple of years. It's pretty easy to navigate and understand most of the Japanese explanations with about 2-kyuu level Japanese. The one time I find it much more useful than a regular dictionary is when you are talking to someone and you want to look up a word neither of you can translate quickly.

Hatailor
New in Town

Re: Why there are not Electronic Dictionaries for foreigners

Postby Hatailor » November 30th, 2009 4:27 am

Yes there are electronic dictionaries for foreigners. Go to ectaco.com or lingvosft.com and buy a dctionary for japnese with romaji. I look up everything very well. I bought the palm edtion a few years ago and use it in an old sony clie pda. Many phones will run the palm emulator, but also the windows CE which ectaco sells. Ask them.

Marius wrote:Please somebody can explain why the Japanese don't make electronic dictionaries for foreigners??? Of course you can use one they sell in Japan for Japanese, but that's not the point. Maybe there are not many foreigners in Japan to produce exclusively a product for them, but what about the rest of the world outside trying to learn Japanese. It seems like they don't even want to spread their language. This is my first complain about Japanese of a very long list I have after living two years in Japan.
Japanese is a nightmare.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”