Or sign up using Facebook

First Experience Teaching English to Japanese Students

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bloodborne
New in Town

First Experience Teaching English to Japanese Students

Postby Bloodborne » February 19th, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I just got done with my first session of speaking practice with Japanese students at my college, and it was a blast! I've thought for a while now that I might want to teach English in Japan, but I didn't have any prior experience. I definitely feel really good about that aspiration now. Here is a post I put up on my blog about it. Has anyone helped Japanese students with their English, at a college or otherwise? Have any current English teachers in Japan decided to do so because of an experience like this? Let me know what you guys have done like this. :)

My First Encounter with Teaching English to Japanese Students

Today I got my first chance at something I’d hoped I’d be able to do for a while now: help Japanese students with their English. A few weeks ago, while I was getting some basic information about studying abroad in Japan, I met Kevin, who told me all about being over there while he was an exchange student just out of high school. He mentioned also that he was an intern at the Intensive Language Institute and was going to be helping organize some conversation partners for Japanese students who just arrived from Hirosaki University. I jumped at the chance to help out. So how did my first session go? In a word, amazing.

I woke up today a bit nervous, like I always do before going to try something new. But there was an extra bit of trepidation here: what if I can’t speak with these students? What if they don’t understand me? What if I come across as boring, or intimidating? What if I just don’t like it? I’ve felt for a while now that I would like to spend some time in Japan, and teaching English too, so there was a lot riding on this. But there was excitement, too. So with that, I went off to the Union where everyone would be meeting.

When I got there, I was a bit concerned because I didn’t see any Japanese students or people who looked like they were there to be conversation partners. The email they sent out the night before said that the meeting place was Hauck Auditorium, so of course I went up and yanked on the large brass door to check. It didn’t budge and I felt a little stupid. Luckily, the feeling didn’t last long as a parade of Japanese people came around the corner, led by what appeared to be the two guys (Dave and Chris) in charge of today’s speaking practice. The students lined up, and then we were separated into groups. I was paired with two really interesting guys, name Yoichi and Tasuku. After a quick introduction, we made our way over to the tables in the Union to sit down and get started. They had these lists of questions on a sheet of paper that they had been given earlier, and we went off of that. I quickly found myself enjoying talking to these guys and helping them to practice English. Their English was leagues better than my Japanese, but I still made sure to speak slowly and deliberately, because if I went too fast or found myself rambling, they would ask for me to repeat.

They asked basic, get-to-know-you questions, and it was great fun to get to know them and them to know me. Yoichi and Tasuku are both from Aomori, which is a city to the east of Hirosaki University. One is 21, and one 28. Yoichi, the older guy, is programmer and is getting married next February. Tasuku was the more outgoing type, and he did a lot of speaking. When I asked him if he liked American girls, his reaction was quite humorous. He looked around, shifted his glasses up and down, and said, “Yeah! Beauty everywhere!” We all got a good laugh out of that. They seem to enjoy it here in Maine, and we talked a bit about the weather of the state, and how Hirosaki and the University of Maine compared in terms of size. They learned some new vocabulary, too, because as we went I found them writing down certain words. It really made me happy when we were able to figure out that Tasuku’s part-time job was moving, since he never knew how to say that before. They were impressed too, when they asked me if I knew any Japanese. I introduced myself again in Japanese, and told them about my plans to possibly study abroad in Hirosaki. If I go next Spring, they said they will still be around, so that will be at least two familiar faces!

I really enjoyed talking to these students and getting to know them. The time seemed to fly by, and we still had plenty to talk about once the time was up. I can’t wait for Wednesday now. I’m glad to say with confidence now that I want to teach English in Japan, if today was any indication. I feel that just the little bit of help I gave Yoichi and Tasuku today will really make a difference in the long-run, and I hope to do that for many more students of English.

Link to the blog post

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » February 20th, 2007 3:05 am

Sounds like a great experience! I tried to get into a similar conversation partner program, but they ran out of space for volunteers! I'm very glad you had better luck than I did, and I hope you get the teaching position you want.
By the way, I made it to Japan

Get 40% OFF
annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 20th, 2007 3:30 am

If that's the sort of experience you want from English teaching in Japan, you might want to consider going the eikaiwa (language school) route and not the public school (ALT/JET) route.

My first experience with language teaching was in Japan, doing that sort of conversation exchange. But I was interested in teaching long before that, so I don't think that had any inflluence over my decision to come back and teach. In fact, I taught for 3 years in the States before coming back to Japan.

Teaching in Japan is fun, but isn't always that rewarding, but that's my own personal thought on it. If I really wanted to be teaching English for the sake of teaching English I'd be doing it in Vietnam or Thailand where there's a serious need for people to learn it and learner motivation is a great deal higher. Or ESL in the States.

snoopy83
New in Town

Postby snoopy83 » February 21st, 2007 3:43 am

is it hard ?

Bloodborne
New in Town

Postby Bloodborne » February 26th, 2007 9:30 pm

snoopy83 wrote:is it hard ?

If that question is directed at my post and not annie's, then no, it wasn't hard to speak with Japanese students - in fact, quite the opposite. :) At least the ones I've been speaking to, they know a good deal of English and can understand you 80-90% of the time. They are engaging and fun people, because they are always so curious about English and America, and I in turn get to sate my curiosity about Japan by asking them questions about their home. Being in this conversation partner program has been a very enlightening experience for me, so I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Japan or Japanese. :)

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 27th, 2007 12:03 am

snoopy83 wrote:is it hard ?

And if that was directed at my post...

It can be hard, it really depends on the situation and you're own personality.

Teaching English in Japan, there are generally two different options: and AET/ALT at a regular school (elementary, jr. high, sr. high, or a combination of the 3) or a private language school (eikaiwa), where you can be teaching kids as young as 1 year old to adults in their 80s.

Both types of work have their frustrations and difficulties. (as does every job I've ever had.)

As an AET, you'll likely feel under-utilized and you will function as a tape recorder on occasion (at least at jr high school). There will be days where you have no classes. There will be teachers who foist their classes off on you for the day, and there will be other times when you have absolutely no input on the day's lessons. You may end up at a school where even the English teachers don't speak English.

As an eikaiwa teacher, your biggest frustration will likely be scheduling. It isn't fun to teach for 6-8 hours with only 5 minutes between classes for bathroom/meal breaks, but it's good for business. You may get tired of making small-talk all day long, and talking about the same things every day. The small kids will climb all over you. It really depends on your personality as to whether these are things you can deal with. You may work at different times every day and have frequent last minute changes, making it difficult to do anything besides work.

Honestly, I find working in a public school to be a lot less fulfilling than eikaiwa work, but I like the public school environment a lot more. But then, I'm at a good school.

You never know what the situation is going to be like until you get here. Even talking to last year's teacher at the school might not do you any good, because the school may react differently to you than they did to him/her. And the situation will constantly evolve as you get more comfortable in your school and in your job and as your coworkers get more comfortable with you.

osekihan
Been Around a Bit

Postby osekihan » March 20th, 2007 2:08 am

About how much to you get for being an eikawa teacher? How hard is it to find a job to be an eikawa?

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » April 3rd, 2007 11:02 pm

I want to get my degree in Japanese at UF. I can't wait till I can go to Japan! I hope I can get in the JET program. I just wish in Florida there was more Japanese people. I have no one to practice with!

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » April 4th, 2007 12:24 am

osekihan wrote:About how much to you get for being an eikawa teacher? How hard is it to find a job to be an eikawa?

eikaiwa salaries are generally about 250,000-270,000 a month, with a paid 5-10 day vacation.

ALT salaries (unless you're on JET) are usually no more than 250,000/month with unpaid 3-7 week summer vacation.

if you're a native english speaker, look "normal" [english schools sell an image- tatoos and piercings, are generally a no-no, same with dyed hair (or long hair on guys)], and not totally incompetent, you'll have no problem finding a job.

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Postby Spiderwick » June 2nd, 2007 12:10 pm

Hello all
I made a post awhile back about working in Japan, and after doing a bit more research I was wondering if you can help me with a couple of queries.

People are often telling me to steer clear of agencies like AEON and go direct to the school itself. A friend of mine in Japan has forwarded me a couple of links and I was wondering what your views are. (I live in England where I am a qualified high school teacher undertaking the EFL course at the moment - whether that makes any difference). ANyway, the places she mentioned are:

British Council
Shane English School
What is your opinion on these?

Just to put my mind at rest though. On the subject of tatoos - I have two on the top part of my arm. No one ever knows they are there or even exist. Would this still be a problem in Japan? I hide them very well. Oh, and piercings I have had my ears done three times but I only use one of them - the others have healed over years ago though a mark can be seen. Please tell me these won't be a problem :)

Anyway, back to applying for a post. As I will be travelling to Japan on my own, I would prefer to be with a school whereI would gain support. I know at the Shane School accomodation is thrown in. I'm sure there are many things I should worry about, can you give me at least 5? Money is at the top of my list (so I'm saving up like crazy) with feeling isolated and alone a close second. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I don't intend to go until next year, but I really want to make sure there will be no unexpected :shock: surprises.

Thanks
Anne

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 2nd, 2007 2:31 pm

Spiderwick wrote:Hello all
I made a post awhile back about working in Japan, and after doing a bit more research I was wondering if you can help me with a couple of queries.

People are often telling me to steer clear of agencies like AEON and go direct to the school itself. A friend of mine in Japan has forwarded me a couple of links and I was wondering what your views are. (I live in England where I am a qualified high school teacher undertaking the EFL course at the moment - whether that makes any difference). ANyway, the places she mentioned are:

British Council
Shane English School
What is your opinion on these?
Just to put my mind at rest though. On the subject of tatoos - I have two on the top part of my arm. No one ever knows they are there or even exist. Would this still be a problem in Japan? I hide them very well. Oh, and piercings I have had my ears done three times but I only use one of them - the others have healed over years ago though a mark can be seen. Please tell me these won't be a problem :)

Anyway, back to applying for a post. As I will be travelling to Japan on my own, I would prefer to be with a school whereI would gain support. I know at the Shane School accomodation is thrown in. I'm sure there are many things I should worry about, can you give me at least 5? Money is at the top of my list (so I'm saving up like crazy) with feeling isolated and alone a close second. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I don't intend to go until next year, but I really want to make sure there will be no unexpected :shock: surprises.

Thanks
Anne

tatoos aren't a huge issue. you'll have to keep them covered at work. you'll likely be refused membership to gyms/pools/athletic centers unless you lie about the tatoos. (and you'll have to keep them covered too.... even in the changing room.... other patrons will turn you in.)

piercings aren't an issue at all. i know a lot of japanese girls with belly button piercings.

I've met people who worked for Shane and thought it was decent, the British Council has a good reputation here amongst Japanese people. But, honestly, if you're a qualified teacher you should really consider looking at postions that are looking specifically for qualified teachers (unless you're looking for more of a career change).

Is there a reason you're looking at eikaiwa rather than regular classroom English positions?

Things to worry about:
-money for the first 2 months. (most schools pay 2-4 weeks behind)
-difficulty communicating with people if you're living outside of the Tokyo/Osaka metro areas
-cockroaches in the summer (and other weird funky bugs)
-different accessible foods, or paying a lot for the things you like from home.
-working with 22 year olds that you have nothing in common with, who spend every night drinking at the izakaya.

As for housing, there are a lot of guesthouses in Tokyo of varying sizes (where you get a private room and share bathroom/kitchen/lounge areas). So, even if housing isn't provided there are options.

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Postby Spiderwick » June 2nd, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks, Annie for your advice (especially about the tatoos!)

In terms of teaching, I must admit to being a bit confused by the options available to me! I would like to go straight into English language teacher and hopefully this year my efl will give me a boost in that field. My Japanese is progressing alright at the minute too

So do you think I should apply straight to the school? If so what kind? A friend in Japan has given me a couple of links (http://www.wys.gr.jp/english.html and http://nokko.dip.jp/) Now I think all of these are agencies - will they still have full teaching posts? I'm sorry to mither about this but I feel I've got information overload. Different companies offer different perks (accomodation, air fare, pay etc.) but I'm more interested in the school and the classroom environment.

If I'm looking for a job what should I do? I'm going to try to have around £2,000 when I go (enough?) but I just want to feel secure. Should I steer clear of certain companies? Should I feel confident to apply straight to the school? I really want to make a firm career choice and not to just experience teaching in Japan. I also don't want to make the wrong decision!

In terms of some of the problems you mentioned, as someone who is not a pub goer, I'd like to spend evenings either visiting restaurant, cinema, theatre or staying in with a good book. Hopefully none of this will alienate me from my co-workers.

Sorry to mither you about this, Annie, but I really appreciate the help you have given me so far :D

Anne

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 2nd, 2007 10:46 pm

I've started taking a TESL class this summer to gain the experience in teaching English. I would at least like to find a job with somewhat regular hours so I can explore Japan.

I already know about the apartments, and I need about 4 months salary saved before I go, but what about interaction with your students after class? Do teachers go out to eat, concerts, movies, shopping with their students? How about time to pursue your own studies in Japanese?

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”