a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to get started working in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Lostaholic
Been Around a Bit

How to get started working in Japan

Postby Lostaholic » November 24th, 2013 3:47 pm

I find it really hard to to get some good information on how to get work in Japan. A better phrase would be how to get started to find a job there. I am from Holland, and I want to travel to Japan and find a job. I don't care what I would be doing, from cleaning somewhere to working in a restaurant, anything works. The point is, where do I get started? Maybe someone here has good idea's on what I could do, or has successfully done this already!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Greetings Tibo Dupuy from Holland.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: How to get started working in Japan

Postby community.japanese » December 2nd, 2013 2:37 pm

Lostaholic-san,
kon'nichiwa!

I think finding a job in foreign countries is always difficult.
It'd also depend on what kind of job you're looking for. Considering the visa issue, the best would be
to contact consultant company in your own country. Some jobs require Japanese proficiency, such as JLPT N1 or N2
level. If the company you work for is not Japanese but those of foreign capital, they might worry more
about English proficiency than Japanese. It all changes what you want.

Maybe some online job hunting sites would be also helpful. Good luck!

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
lewisahmed86_503134
New in Town

Postby lewisahmed86_503134 » December 10th, 2014 11:19 am

If you’re looking for a non-teaching job, you need to have some sort of skill that would be likely to land you a job in Japan anyway. You just take those skills to Japan and find a job there. You could even get transferred to Japan from a Japanese company based in your home country. It’s also very important, way more than a teaching job, to be really good at speaking, reading, and writing Japanese. It’s definitely harder to find a non-teaching job in Japan than it is to find a teaching one.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » December 14th, 2014 6:57 am

lewisahmed86 さん、
Konnichiwa.
Thank you for sharing the information.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

johnner
New in Town

Postby johnner » December 19th, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi Tibo,
Yeah there seems to be so little information out there about how to just get the whole thing of finding a teaching job in Japan. Most of the sites out there
are company sites. So of course if you google "teaching in Japan" you will find Aeon's, Geos, Berlitz company sites and so on. Not much info. on there other
than a page or two on life in Japan and then there is there job application pages and that's about it. For finding work you might look into OHaysensei.com
they have a host of jobs and I think they publish it twice a month. Both part-time and full-time.
Another site out there is www.all-about-teaching-english-in-japan.com. This site attacks from the perspective of getting your first job teaching in Japan.
It also has some good info. on TEFL certifications.
http://www.all-about-teaching-english-in-japan.com/onlineTEFLcourse.html
Some stuff on the J.E.T program and how to find a place to live. What to expect on your first job. ALT info. Videos on typical apartment sizes and prices and some other stuff. The site is focused on teaching English in Japan so you won't find anything much on working in a restaurant or other teaching unrelated stuff.
Oh.. they also have a job board where you can find work also. It's kind of like a step by step site on getting into teaching in Japan...at least that is the way it looks to me. This should at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Hope this helps and hang in there.

LeesaJohnson
Been Around a Bit

Postby LeesaJohnson » January 16th, 2017 10:16 am

If you are looking for a job in Japan then it's good to search using some platform as if you need to search for a tutoring job then you can visit http://www.selectmytutor.co.uk/

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 1st, 2017 10:29 am

Johnner san and LeesaJohnson san,
Konnichiwa.
Thank you for your help. :)
The information must be useful.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”