Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: EC2953 の Progress (Beginner)

Postby community.japanese » February 14th, 2015 11:42 am

ec2953さん、
今日は。
はい、ほしの王子様を少し読んだことがあります。

Regarding the last post, you really tried hard.
GOOD! :oiwai:

Here is my suggestion.
ビギナーの第一シリーズやっと学び終わってよかったです!I am happy because I finished learning beginner’s series 1.
それはそうですけど、レッスン全部をもっと真剣に復習しないといけないですね。
By the way, I have to have review of all lessons more seriously.
しかし、簡単な言葉とかなんてが書けるし、それに、もっとすばやく読るようになったみたいなのです。However, I can write easy words and it seems that I can read Japanese faster.
やっぱり、Japanesepod101のおかげで私にのちょうかい能力がだんだんにすこしずつ上手になってきました。As I though, my listening skills have been improving because of Japanesepod101.

多分これからもっと勉強するとすると、日本人とぺらぺらに話し合いができるでしょう。
If I study hard from now on, I will be able to speak with native Japanese speakers fluently.
それでは、失礼します。
Now then I will be leaving.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 16th, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello Yuki sensei !

How are you?

Thank you very much for your correction ^^

I have a few questions regarding it:

You wrote 「。。。読るようになったみたいなのです」、did you mean 読む instead of 読る? :o

Also, you made the following correction: 「。。。私にのちょうかい。。。」, is the structure にの very common? Can we simply either say 私に or 私の?

I'd really appreciate your clarification =D

Get 40% OFF
ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 16th, 2015 10:26 pm

I haven't been updating my progress for a little while, since I was working on the books I bought.

Here we go:

Beginner S1

170 (Review to be done after I finish the Lower Intermediate Season 1)

Beginner S2

Lower Intermediate (Japanese for Everyday Life)

(~4)

Lower Intermediate S1

5 (~11)

Some poetic lessons and formulations with the Postcard mini-series ^.^

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 16th, 2015 10:44 pm

I bought today a lot of books (it hurts quite a lot the purse but I am confident that they are really worth it as long term investments for anyone who is serious about learning Japanese):

Shin Kanzen Master (Listening N3)

Shin Kanzen Master (Reading N2)

Shin Kanzen Master (Vocabulary N2)

Nihongo Nouryoku Shiken "Target" 2000 N2 Tango (日本語能力試験ターゲット2000 ー N2 単語)

Nihongo Tango "Speed Master" (Quick master of vocabulary, INTERMEDIATE 2500 - Including 2 CDs) (日本語単語スピードマスター) N2

So, although I am far from being able to ace the JLPT N3, I have already purchased in advance the books for the N2.

I think that it can't hurt too much to start learning new vocabulary as soon as one can. The two last references (in blue) seem to be really nice at first glance at least. I didn't find any equivalent for the N3 but I think the vocabulary for that level isn't that difficult to remember as the words from the N3 vocab list are seen quite often in addition of being very handy in every day's life (which explains why book authors would call them "basic").

I flipped through the first pages of the Shin Kanzen N2 and it is quite difficult right now given my lack of knowledge and vocabulary (there are too many sentences that have meanings I can't be 100% certain of, which as a result drastically slows me down). We'll see later then ^^

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 17th, 2015 8:26 am

ec2953 san,
こんにちは。
I am so sorry I made you confused.
They are my mistakes. :oops:
読む are 私の are correct.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 19th, 2015 5:28 pm

Hello Yuki sensei !

大丈夫ですよ!全然問題ありません〜

:D

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 19th, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi everyone ! As always, every time I finish 25 lessons or so I will work on a translation~

The following text comes from the first page of every Shin Kanzen Master books which explains briefly the contents of the JLPT and its main aim ^^

I've listed down as usual the vocabulary and will start my non-native English translation asap ^^

JLPT 3 (Kanzen Master)

日本語能力試験は,1984年に始まった、日本語を母語としない人の日本語能力を測定し認定する試験です。受験者が年々増加し。現在では世界でも大規模の外国語の試験の一つとなっています。試験開始から 20年以上経過する間に、学習者が多様化し、日本語学習の目的も変化してきました。そのため、2010年に新しい「日本語能力試験」として内容が大きく変わりました。新しい試験では知識だけでなく、実際に運用できる日本語能力が問われます。本書はこの試験のN3レベルの問題集として作成されたものです。
まず「問題紹介」で問題の形式とその解法を概観します。次に「実力養成編」で三つの問題形式別に、必要な言語知識を身につけるための学習をします。「最後に模擬試験」で、実際の試験と同じ形式の問題を解いてみることによって、どのくらい力がついたかを確認します。

母語(ぼご):mother tongue 
測定(そくてい): measurement
測定する : to measure
認定(にんてい):authorization, certification, acknowledgement
認定する : to certify
受験(じゅけん):take an examination
受験者(じゅけんしゃ):examinee
年々(ねんねん):year by year, annually
増加(ぞうか): increment, addition
増加する:to increment, to increase
大規模(だいきぼ): large scale / scope, plan, structure
開始(かいし):start, commencement, initiation, beginning
経過(けいか): passage, expiration, progress
学習者(がくしゅうしゃ): learner, student, scholar
多様化(たようか):diversification
変化する(へんか): to transform
運用(うんよう): make use of, application, practical use
問う(とう):to ask, to question, to inquire / to care (about)
問われます : to be questioned (on?)
本書(ほんしょ):this book
問題集(もんだいしゅ):question collection, problem collection
作成(さくせい):drawing up, writing, framing 
解法(かいほう):(key) to solution
概観(がいかん):general view, outline
養成編(ようせいへん):skills development (part of the book)
言語(げんご):language
身につける(み):to learn, to acquire knowledge
模擬(もぎ):imitation, sham, mock
模擬試験 : mock test
解く(とく): (here) to solve, to work out, to answer

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 19th, 2015 6:14 pm

EDIT: some typos and even a sentence that I forgot to translate here :oops:

Excuse my "English" :oops:

I hope you guys will be able to understand what I wrote (or you can simply try to make your own translation ^^).

I am simply not really sure of the meaning of 〜てみることによって (through the attempt to?) =/

Could anyone help me out here? Thanks xD

日本語能力試験は,1984年に始まった、日本語を母語としない人の日本語能力を測定し認定する試験です。受験者が年々増加し。現在では世界でも大規模の外国語の試験の一つとなっています。試験開始から 20年以上経過する間に、学習者が多様化し、日本語学習の目的も変化してきました。そのため、2010年に新しい「日本語能力試験」として内容が大きく変わりました。新しい試験では知識だけでなく、実際に運用できる日本語能力が問われます。本書はこの試験のN3レベルの問題集として作成されたものです。

The JLPT test, which first started off in 1984, is a test that measures and certifies the Japanese language skills of the people whose native language isn't Japanese. The number of examinees is increasing every year. Now, it has become one of the large scale language examinations in the world. Since the beginning of the test, 20 years have passed and during that period of time the types of learners have varied and the goals of the students of the Japanese language have also changed. For that reason, the contents of the new JLPT have considerably been modified. The new (JLPT) examination is not only about knowledge, it requires Japanese language skills that can be used in practice. This book was written as a collection of problems for the level N3 of the test.

まず「問題紹介」で問題の形式とその解法を概観します。次に「実力養成編」で三つの問題形式別に、必要な言語知識を身につけるための学習をします。最後に「模擬試験」で、実際の試験と同じ形式の問題を解いてみることによって、どのくらい力がついたかを確認します。

To begin with, a general overview of the type of questions and how to solve them will be made in the section “question presentation”. After that, the “skills development section” will be separated in three types of questions: we will study how to acquire the necessary language knowledge. In the last part “mock exam”, we will assess the level of knowledge (“power / strength”) that has been reached through an attempt to solve the questions that follow the same pattern as the one of the actual exam.
Last edited by ec2953 on February 23rd, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 21st, 2015 8:30 am

ec2953さん、
こんにちは。
タイピングミスは本当に済みませんでした。
今後気をつけます。

ec2953 wrote:I am simply not really sure of the meaning of 〜てみるによって (through the attempt to?) =/

Could anyone help me out here? Thanks xD

Isn’t it “てみることによって”?
I don’t think 〜てみるによって exist…

てみることによって means “by trying to (te-from verb)” or “trying to (te-form verb) courses” or “as a result of trying to (te-form verb)”.

Regarding the translation, I freely translated Japanese sentences and it’s different from direct translation. I am not a native English speaker either so it’s not the best.
試験開始から 20年以上経過する間に、学習者が多様化し、日本語学習の目的も変化してきました。
There has been diversification of learners and changes in learners’ aims since the test started, for 20 years.

そのため、2010年に新しい「日本語能力試験」として内容が大きく変わりました。
The content of the test was greatly renewed in 2010 due to those changes.

新しい試験では知識だけでなく、実際に運用できる日本語能力が問われます。
You need not only knowledge of the Japanese language but also practical language skills in the new test.
問う have meanings which you listed up however, it means “you will get questions to check” here.

本書はこの試験のN3レベルの問題集として作成されたものです。
This book is a workbook for JLPT N3.
問題集 means “textbook”.

まず「問題紹介」で問題の形式とその解法を概観します。
Firstly, in “sample questions” section we will overview the format of examination questions and the way to answer them.

次に「実力養成編」で三つの問題形式別に、必要な言語知識を身につけるための学習をします。
Secondly, in “practical training” section we will learn skills though practice of answering three different types of questions to acquire important language knowledge

最後に「模擬試験」で、実際の試験と同じ形式の問題を解いてみることによって、どのくらい力がついたかを確認します。
Finally, in “practice test” we will check whether we have enough skills through answering similar questions to the test.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 23rd, 2015 1:57 pm

Oh awesome! That's so cool that you did your own translation too! It became much clearer ^.^ it's a good training for all of us :D

It's fine, we all make typos! And I made a lot of huge mistakes and mistypings too ! I even forgot to translate a sentence in the text lol. Did the job too fast in a local busy noisy Starbucks :P

So yes, ~によって can also mean by (the mean of). It's also in the JLPT 3´s grammar bank (cf. Shinkanzen Master).
Last edited by ec2953 on February 23rd, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 23rd, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello everyone! I was recently curious about the words 一応(いちおう) which can be roughly translated as "sort of" in many situations. It seems that it is quite often used during conversations. I think this expression is interesting as it conveys another example of the complexity of the Japanese language and psychology. It appears that we see these kind of nuances quite a lot, but we are most of the time unaware of the true meaning behind these types of words. What seems to be humble could in fact be a form of bragging (or humble bragging) and vice versa.

I would definitely recommend Maggie Sensei's website as she always gives excellent and thorough explanations in addition to a myriad of practical example sentences ^.^

Cheers!

Link below (please copy paste the entire link since the link doesn't take into account the Kanjis in the address) :

[*]http://maggiesensei.com/2012/06/12/request-lesson-howwhen-to-use-一応-ichiou/
Last edited by ec2953 on February 24th, 2015 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 23rd, 2015 2:36 pm

Yo ! So I wanted to share again some of my questions in the lessons that I found interesting as these subtleties are not often well explained or even catching people's attention. It all comes again to politeness ^^

LESSON 19 (A.P.B. on Kinoshita I - Lower Intermediate Series 1)

Hi everyone ! I know this question was already asked below and that Motoko Sensei gave an explanation regarding the use of か in the following pattern, but yeah, I still cannot get it. I tried to get more information on Google, without success.

〜かと思いますので

So 〜 かともいます means “I wonder if …”. No issue so far.

Therefore かと思いますので would be translated as “Because I wonder if …” if I am correct.

To make the sentence politer, the customers are indirectly mentioned by adding the か after the noun (取引先). I understand the logic behind the explanation, but it doesn’t make much sense to me so far as I don’t get the true logic of the grammar point. I know we can’t do a literal translation here, but it seems so farfetched to me.

“Because I wonder if they are important customers / partners, let’s ask Kinoshita to do it.”
=> “They are important customers (because I wonder if they are so), so let’s ask Kinoshita to do the job.”

Could anyone help me out here?

Moreover, can I therefore say something like: 大切な友達かと思ってから、絶対にお前(を)許せない!
(PS: I made a typo again, it should be 思っていた)

Thanks !

Ed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

JapanesePod101.com
FEBRUARY 22ND, 2015 AT 5:49 PM

Ed-san (ec2953-san),
konnichiwa!

I think it’d be easier if you think ~かと思います as a shorter version of ~ではないかと思います
and the meaning is ‘I wonder’, like you wrote. :sunglasses: :thumbsup:
So, if the meaning is ‘to wonder’, then it’s not what you ‘believe(d)’ 100%, right?
~かと思いますので is a polite expression to say ‘I believe….’, but to be modest we’re using
this かと思います instead of だと思います and show ‘wondering’ there.
We can say both
大事な取引先かと思いますので
AND
大事な取引先だと思いますので
However, if you say 大事な取引先だと思いますので, this means you’re very sure that this client is a very
important one. When you state something in such a way to your superior, sometimes you could sound
a bit ‘cocky’ or ’snobbish’ (i.e. ‘I know everything very well’).
So, when we speak to our superiors, we often use かと思います and soften our speech.

On the other hand, in your sentence of friend, this is to your close friend and you absolutely
believed s/he was your important friend. There is no wonder there. For this reason, you have to say:
大切な友達だと思っていたから、絶対にお前(を)許せない!

Hope this helps!

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 23rd, 2015 2:44 pm

It appears that the difficulty of the lessons is stepping up quite a lot from the lesson 19-21 of the Lower Intermediate Series 1.

That's a good thing ! I wish the first beginner series will become 朝飯前(あさめしまえ)or 楽勝(らくしょう)a piece of cake after I'm done with the Lower Intermediate ones !

What I find excellent is that no matter what, I still learn a lot of new vocabulary and expressions in the Beginner seasons that I feel wouldn't be found in most of other materials available (anyway, I am still a beginner so ^^).

This is one of the super strengths of Japanesepod101 and I can't recommend more to go through every lesson even if you feel that your listening skills are getting past the beginner level ! You will always learn something fresh or cool, in addition to having fun with new stories and host conversations xD
Last edited by ec2953 on February 24th, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » February 24th, 2015 6:21 am

ec2953 san,
konnichiwa.
Lessons seem to be getting harder. :(
If you can say lessons are 朝飯前(あさめしまえ)or 楽勝(らくしょう), that will be great.
一緒にがんばりましょう。 :D
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

ec2953
Established Presence

Postby ec2953 » February 25th, 2015 2:51 pm

先生、お元気でいらっしゃいますか。

そうですかね。
というか、難しくなってくることは難しくなってきましたが、レッションの勉強をするたびに様々な語彙や文法点などを勉強になっていきます。

ま、心がけて努力しさえすれば、何とも恐ろしくなくなるんですね。

一緒に一生懸命がんばろうとしましょう! :D
Last edited by ec2953 on February 28th, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”