Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

less culture and blogs, more high level lessons please.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rion
New in Town

less culture and blogs, more high level lessons please.

Postby rion » September 5th, 2007 11:55 pm

Thanks for the good lessons.

I would appreciate some lessons that deal with calling up a place business. There are some set phrases in business Japanese that would be good to know.

Why don't the blogs have basic content, kanji, transcripts, or target structures? I don't listen to them because there seems to be no objective and nothing to reinforce the content.

Also, while the culture class may be fun and interesting to some people, maybe it should be located somewhere else on the site since it has nothing to do with improving Japanese language skills.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: less culture and blogs, more high level lessons please.

Postby Jason » September 6th, 2007 2:11 am

rion wrote:Why don't the blogs have basic content, kanji, transcripts, or target structures? I don't listen to them because there seems to be no objective and nothing to reinforce the content.

You mean Miki's audio blog?

rion wrote:Also, while the culture class may be fun and interesting to some people, maybe it should be located somewhere else on the site since it has nothing to do with improving Japanese language skills.

That's not true. A language is more than grammar and vocabulary. To lift a line from an ex-professor of mine, a language is a conveyor belt of that culture. By better understanding the culture, you can gain a better understanding of why the language works the way it does and get a better grip of the subtleties of the language. And in a language and people as indirect as Japanese (especially in business and other formal type situations), understanding the subtleties is vital to really getting good. Grammar and vocab are certainly vital too, but if that's all you have you're only scratching the surface of the language.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 6th, 2007 7:14 am

Thanks for the comments!

I'm with Jason and his professor on this one! :wink:
And given the extreme popularity of Miki's Blog, I can't envision us stopping it in lieu of business oriented material without a major backlash from listenership.
Also if we don't do a culture class in a while (June 1st was the last before yesterday's), we get a lot of messages from people asking for them. These especially come from our overseas listeners.

That said, Japanese business culture is very unique and we've only scratched the surface here. Trust me, we've been wanting to do a series on business etiquette and language and in due time we'll put one together.

In the meantime, "Tokyo Travelblogue Day 16" had a great PDF about business phone calls. It focus more on receiving a business phone call than making one. Also the distinctions between humble and honorific languages are spelled out as well.

Here's a link to the PDF:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/pdfs/505_ ... pod101.pdf

Also, today's Lower Intermediate Lesson "Change in Personnel" deals with typical corporate hierarchies in Japan.
http://www.japanesepod101.com/2007/09/0 ... personnel/
(available after 18:30 Tokyo time 9/6/2007)

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » September 6th, 2007 10:39 am

Ooh, a sneak preview!

And I'm not sure if Rion is aware, but by paying for a subscription, you get a lot of stuff to reinforce stuff learned.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » September 6th, 2007 9:09 pm

rion wrote:Thanks for the good lessons.

I would appreciate some lessons that deal with calling up a place business. There are some set phrases in business Japanese that would be good to know.

Why don't the blogs have basic content, kanji, transcripts, or target structures? I don't listen to them because there seems to be no objective and nothing to reinforce the content.

Also, while the culture class may be fun and interesting to some people, maybe it should be located somewhere else on the site since it has nothing to do with improving Japanese language skills.

Rion-san! :wink:

I want to assume that you are referring to JP101 blogs page not Miki's blog right :?

If not then I'm sorry my friend but Miki's blog IS NOT going anywhere! :twisted:

I will support her stay in JP101 until the end! I will also support JP101 blogs because they are very interesting and helpful. 8)

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » September 8th, 2007 12:39 am

It just occurred to me that I have talked to other Japanese learners and when I mention jPod, they say something like "yeah, I listen occasionally but I'm not really into it. The only show I listen to <i>every week</i> is the audio blog".

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 8th, 2007 5:06 am

yeah. i thinkit all comes down to the medium.

if this were a controlled classroom setting everyone could be broken up into levels and subject matter.

but the reality of doing this via the internet is we can reach all kinds of people. they are of varrying levels, various seriousness, varying interests and varying motivations.

i think miki's blog is so popular for several reasons:
1) it's serious, unfiltered japanese*
2) the topic changes every week
3) a lot of cultural tidbits can be gleaned from it
4) no lesson portion, you're on your own
5) miki's endearing personality

excepting for 2 and 5, i think the ghost stories were so popular for the same reason. and there's no rule saying we can't give that format a try for an advanced series. we're completely open to suggestions. afterall, we're all in this together and we obviously all love studying japanese! :niwatori:

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

rion
New in Town

Postby rion » September 10th, 2007 12:06 am

Jason wrote:That's not true. A language is more than grammar and vocabulary. To lift a line from an ex-professor of mine, a language is a conveyor belt of that culture. By better understanding the culture, you can gain a better understanding of why the language works the way it does and get a better grip of the subtleties of the language. And in a language and people as indirect as Japanese (especially in business and other formal type situations), understanding the subtleties is vital to really getting good. Grammar and vocab are certainly vital too, but if that's all you have you're only scratching the surface of the language.

Sounds like something a University professor would say.

Some of us are in Japan (and not cosmopolitan Tokyo) and surrounded by Japanese culture, I suppose a minority of the listeners. We depend on these podcasts to teach the language and not so much the culture - understand?

But since majority rules, I'll just be happy if there are more intermediate lessons.

Thanks.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » September 10th, 2007 1:03 am

rion wrote:Sounds like something a University professor would say.

I'll take that as a compliment.

rion wrote:Some of us are in Japan (and not cosmopolitan Tokyo) and surrounded by Japanese culture, I suppose a minority of the listeners. We depend on these podcasts to teach the language and not so much the culture - understand?

Yes, I understand perfectly. I also understand that the majority of our listeners do not live in Japan and are not immersed in the culture everyday, so the JCCs are a valuable resource to them. I understand thatt ou want practical Japanese without the culture.

I also understand that this issue has a very simple solution. Don't listen to the JCC lessons.

Miki's blog is meant to be just that: a blog. They are not lessons like the other categories. Miki's blog is meant to be pure Japanese content for those who want more advanced listening practice outside the structure of a typical lesson environment.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 10th, 2007 4:29 pm

rionさん、

i saw your comment on the Personnel Change lesson, so thanks for checking it out. :wink:

But since majority rules, I'll just be happy if there are more intermediate lessons.

the majority rules...
hmmmm... it's true and it's not true.
a lot of our lesson focus comes directly from listeners. we're putting out lessons 5 days a week. that's a pretty rigorous schedule! so, there's definitely room to work with.

please skype me at tokugawa_yoshinoya. let's chat a bit so i can get a clear idea of what you're looking for.
on our end, i can say this, we are always looking for new ideas or a fresh perspective on things.

marky
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » September 11th, 2007 5:02 am

markystar wrote:rionさん、

i saw your comment on the Personnel Change lesson, so thanks for checking it out. :wink:

the majority rules...
hmmmm... it's true and it's not true.
a lot of our lesson focus comes directly from listeners. we're putting out lessons 5 days a week. that's a pretty rigorous schedule! so, there's definitely room to work with.

please skype me at tokugawa_yoshinoya. let's chat a bit so i can get a clear idea of what you're looking for.
on our end, i can say this, we are always looking for new ideas or a fresh perspective on things.

marky

Marky-san! :wink:

It's ok that he gives suggestions/ideas for more advance lessons for the intermediate listeners but please your not going to please him just because he said so, who is this individual anyway:twisted:

We (all listeners that post on Miki's blog support Miki's blog) just ask them personally I also would like to invite you and listeners who supports Miki's blog on Skype at Ulver_684 and lets give out our point of view to each other.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » September 11th, 2007 11:28 am

sindyさん、don't worry, miki's blog isn't going anywhere :flower:

but other people have voiced a similar interest in some business topics, so i'd like to pursue them as well.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » September 11th, 2007 10:22 pm

markystar wrote:sindyさん、don't worry, miki's blog isn't going anywhere :flower:

but other people have voiced a similar interest in some business topics, so i'd like to pursue them as well.

Marky-san! :wink:

Thank you very much, I was very worry, I couldn't even sleep last night! :shock:

JP101 Rules!!! 8)

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » October 1st, 2007 8:47 pm

I think if you were to have a moan up about one of the levels, it would be Beginner S2. Don't get me wrong, the content is good and everything else is what you would expect from Jpod, but I haven't bothered looking at a PDF or reviewing one for longer than I can remember because they're too short and easy, it's like printing 4-5 pages for as many lines of dialogue, and I only started studying in February.

After you complete the beginner lessons, you're already pretty much ahead of Beginner S2, and the lower intermediate level is a nice intermediary between beginner and intermediate, which gradually introduces more and more Japanese. So, Beginner S2 is pretty much redundant in my opinion, and could easily make way for the advanced lessons (I'm not ready for these yet, but I'd like them to be there when I am :wink: ).

I think a good format for advanced lessons would be dialogues a bit shorter than the kaidan stories, so there is some time left over to explain some key points and nuances that you wouldn't pick up yourself. Things that might still confuse you after you look them up in the dictionary, such as,に違いない, に決まっている, の代わりに, etc.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”