pdf, layout, etc

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

nandemoii
Been Around a Bit

pdf, layout, etc

Postby nandemoii » June 16th, 2007 3:17 am

See this thread too:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... 0333#10333

I do not think the pdf format is good, you can't use any pop up dictionaries.
How about .html instead?

Words in the hiragana transcription should be written with spaces between them.

The text, the trascription and the translation should all be placed side by side in VERTICAL parallel columns. It is much easier to find the meaning.

Sentences in GRAMMAR BANK sould be recorded as well, learning a language without audio is a source of hell of a lot of mistakes.
And instead of senteces short dialogues are much better.

And why not recording, let's say fifty or at least twenty differnt verbs and i-adjectives, all of them conjugated in as many forms as possible?

And less English in the recordins to download, all in Japanese but with transcripts and translations.

What about some longer stories?

And some jokes, sex, and poetry?

And a new section on pronunciation (moras, TONES) would be much appreciated.

I know it means much more work, but ......
After all life is too short to waste it on trifles, I mean short dialogues about nothing in particular.

By the way, yours is probly the best site out there for learners of Japanese (I've seen hundreds of them in many languages), but it is still too traditional.
Last edited by nandemoii on June 19th, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scnnrc
New in Town

Postby scnnrc » June 18th, 2007 11:37 pm

I totally disagree with you
I do not think the pdf format is good, you can't use any pop up dictionaries.
How about .html instead?

The PDF file is the best way to print file, it's multi-platform, it's standard and instead of using pop-up dictionaries it'd be better to add furigana.

Words in the hiragana transcription should be written with spaces between them.

Why there should be space between hiragana words? Japanese people do not put them.

The text, the transcription and the translation should all be placed side by side in VERTICAL parallel columns. It is much easier to find the meaning.

It'd would be enough to add some blank lines, so that the text and the translation are on the same line as in the first lessons (I would appreciate it a lot)

Sentences in GRAMMAR BANK sould be recorded as well, learning a language without audio is a source of hell of a lot of mistakes.
And instead of senteces short dialogues are much better.

I do no use the GRAMMAR BANK.

And why not recording, let's say fifty or at least twenty differnt verbs and i-adjectives, all of them conjugated in as many forms as possible?

I suppose that the JPOD101 team needs to sleep from time to time, and I do not think that an average student can learn
fifty or at least twenty different verbs and i-adjectives
a day.

And less English in the recordins to download, all in Japanese but with transcripts and translations.

I find rather difficult to understand a lower Intermediate lesson, I cannot image a beginner lesson all in Japanese.

What about some longer stories?

IMHO intermediate and lower intermediate lessons are longer enough, you should try an audio-book

And some jokes, sex, and poetry?

There are already Peter's jokes
For sex there is a site called akiba online (I will NOT post the link) there you'll find as much as you want
I think that few people would like to learn poetry (I like it, but it's a VERY advanced level)

By the way, yours is probly the best site out there for learners of Japanese (I've seen hundreds of them in many languages), but it is still too traditional.

I've tried chinesepod, spanishsense, eslpd ... and JPOP101 is by far better! :wink: there's nothing unnecessary, it reaches where others don't . It's the only one which do a lot of grammar, that has kanji sheets, that has nice voice actors. Yes maybe it could be better but I do not see anything traditional that it's not necessary! These are lesson that are made to be listened to by an MP3 player, you cannot make them too long or complicated!!!
Bye

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
nandemoii
Been Around a Bit

Postby nandemoii » June 19th, 2007 5:30 pm

I can imagine a beginner to start from novels!
See these two threads to get an idea what I mean.
I started learning Japanese using Rashoumon by Akutagawa, and it was my first text ever, and it is much more complecated than texts at this site.
What matters is the layout and the way of studying.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... 0333#10333
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... 0237#10237

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”