a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Awesome "hidden" feature

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mrarlen
New in Town

Awesome "hidden" feature

Postby mrarlen » January 18th, 2008 11:08 am

I just noticed that the podcasts I downloaded from the paid site have the vocabulary for the lesson in the "lyrics" section of the audio podcasts.

That's such an awesome feature!

I only found it by accident, but when I listen on my iPod Touch (or iPhone), I can get the Vocab words to come up in English, Roomaji, Kana, and Kanji!

That's incredible. Japanesepod101.com is the most awesome Japanese learning tool ever!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » January 19th, 2008 6:15 am

thanks!! glad to see people are noticing that!

in the future that won't be a "hidden feature" and you should be able to access it by pressing the center button of your iPod. the review track info is also included (minus the few we throw in to challenge or contrast with other words). 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 20th, 2008 12:13 am

markystar wrote:thanks!! glad to see people are noticing that!

Just to add someone else in there: I've noticed it too and I love it. My only gripe is that the only dialogue script available is romaji!

in the future that won't be a "hidden feature" and you should be able to access it by pressing the center button of your iPod. the review track info is also included (minus the few we throw in to challenge or contrast with other words). 8)

I'm not sure why anything would need to be changed, seeing as I can already do this on my previous-generation iPod nano. I love that the thing supports Japanese script.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » January 20th, 2008 3:10 am

Psy wrote:
markystar wrote:thanks!! glad to see people are noticing that!

Just to add someone else in there: I've noticed it too and I love it. My only gripe is that the only dialogue script available is romaji!

I'm not sure why anything would need to be changed, seeing as I can already do this on my previous-generation iPod nano. I love that the thing supports Japanese script.

My only gripe is I can't access this in WMP on my WM5 PDA.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » January 20th, 2008 1:36 pm

My only gripe is that the only dialogue script available is romaji!

actually that's not true.

for free lessons:
newbie, beginner = romaji and trans
lower intermediate, intermediate, upper intermediate = hiragana and trans

premium lesson
everything = kanji, hiragana, romaji, trans! :wink:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » January 20th, 2008 4:05 pm

I wish I can make use of all these hidden features...Japanese can't be displayed on the iPhone's iPod.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 20th, 2008 9:51 pm

markystar wrote:

for free lessons:

premium lesson

Oh. Well I feel sheepish (I'm a freeloader, you know that!). I've listened to a few intermediates but never actually looked at the notes! Nowadays I suppose I'm just too determined to run through all the beginner ones first.

... kanji in the lesson notes, huh? That's almost enough to make me subscribe...
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 9th, 2008 9:28 am

markystar wrote:

for free lessons:

premium lesson

you sure? i just check on itunes and on my ipod, and the beginners are just romaji, but the survival phrases have vocab and kanji words...

This is from the lastest lesson, premium subcription;

Rōmaji:
(Tokei no oto)
Kumi: Mō 7-ji han ka.(Ima tsuku) nante, Tarō wa itsumo uso bakkari. Haa.... Ā ā. (Naki)
Keibiin: O-kyaku-san, daijōbu desu ka. Samui desu yo ne. Kairo tsukaimasu ka? Dōzo.
Kumi: Arigatō gozaimasu. Watashi no kare, mainichi shigoto bakarishite ite, watashi wa itsumo hitori. Saikin, kenka bakari shite iru n desu. Konya, watashi no tanjōbi na no ni....(Naki) A, gomen nasai. Watashi, monku bakari itte imasu ne.
Keibiin: Kareshi, kitto kimasu yo. Mō sukoshi, machimashō.

Translation:
(the sound of clock ticking)
Kumi: It\'s already 7:30. Yeah, "I\'ll be there soon" all right. Tarō always lies. Oh no....(sobs)
Security guard: Ma\'am, are you okay? It\'s very cold, isn\'t it? Would you like to use a pocket warmer? Please, be my guest.
Kumi: Thank you very much. My boyfriend is always working, and I am always alone. These days, all we do is argue. And today\'s my birthday... (sob) Oh, sorry. All I\'m doing is complaining.
Security guard: I\'m sure your boyfriend will come. Let\'s wait a little bit longer.

I'm looking for a progran to edit it myself at the moment :wink:
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 10th, 2008 6:47 am

that's not a premium lesson. :lol:

at this time we can't tag lessons differently for free or premium users.

but only premium users can download the ghost stories or sights & sounds, so they can get everything. but if you check the tags for the review track and dialog track, you'll find all the kanji and everything.

:wink:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 10th, 2008 1:33 pm

あっ!そっか。。。オレ、ちょっと恥ずかしいんだて、ジョサイアのバカなぁ。。。
えっ。。。、ごめんごめん!ボクの敬語とか、いつもいられないんだね。 マーキーさん、えっとね、ごめんさない!ほんまによ!あのさ、ボクに今英語で話させるよ。
みなさんごめんなさい!
just felt like throwing some japanese in there!, hope it was readable! my polite japanese is really horrific, i can understand yet can't speak it very well :lol:

anyhoo, i totally misread your post marky :arrow:

premium lesson
everything = kanji, hiragana, romaji, trans!

i thought you said premium subscription. my bad!
tho, is there anyway that the text can be manipulated and altered somehow?

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 12th, 2008 3:59 am

tho, is there anyway that the text can be manipulated and altered somehow?

yeah, if you right click on the file in iTunes and go to the lyrics tab you can change the tags or copy and paste it into anything you'd like! 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 12th, 2008 2:48 pm

true, but it still can't be shown on the ipod screen.
is there a way to do that?

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 12th, 2008 4:06 pm

right now we can only do that with the main lesson audio. but it's in the works. i've been pushing for it for a long time, so it will be available soon (i thought we'd have it as of jan. 1, 2008 but it didn't quite work out. seems to be a more difficult process than i had thought.)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 13th, 2008 1:41 am

unfortunately you can't do that with the main audio lessons either, only romaji available unfortunately.
i have a query that i'm sure many people would love to know the answer to as well;
why does jpod101 still use romaji rather than japanese on all these advanced lessons?
if someone is studying beginner lesson 176, or lower intermediate lesson 61, just having kana or just having kanji is not going to help them get better at reading or encourage someone further.
when i read a straight kana sentence i have to use the dictionary more, but if i can see the kanji word i can read it immediately.
just kana makes it confusing,
and just romaji, i believe is a waste of time and makes no sense.
i'm sorry if my opinion seems to be so strong, but i don't have time for the learning centre, or my time spent there is unproductive as i get distracted.
if i had the ability to edit podcasts text then i wouldn't be bothered if you used romaji at all.
i just want normal japanese so i can improve my reading skills.

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Return to “Feature Requests”