Or sign up using Facebook

ほうがいい vs. からいい

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

thegooseking
Expert on Something

ほうがいい vs. からいい

Postby thegooseking » April 13th, 2017 9:28 am

みなさん、こんにちは、

I was listening to Beginner season 2 episode 55, which introduced the grammar point [past verb]+ほうがいい to suggest that someone should do something. Although it wasn't mentioned in the lesson, from what I understand, we use the [past verb]+ほうがいい to suggest that someone should do something in the current situation or for a particular reason, and [dictionary form verb]+ほうがいい to say that it's generally better to do something, without having such a strong sense of suggestion that it should be done.

Anyway, I was also watching an episode of 銀魂 (I think it was 193 - 「料理は根性」) and Shinpachi said this:-
神楽ちゃん、たしかに卵かけご飯をおいしいけど。でも毎日じゃきついよ。あれはたまに食べるからいいんだよ。
Kagura-chan, tashika ni tamagokakegohan wo oishii kedo. Demo mainichi ja kitsui yo. Are wa tama ni taberu kara ii n da yo.
Kagura-chan, it's true tamagokakegohan is delicious, but every day is too much. It's better to eat that once in a while.

So my question is, what's the difference between ほうがいい and からいい in this sense?

よろしくおねがいします、
小狼

jim.schuler
Established Presence

Re: ほうがいい vs. からいい

Postby jim.schuler » April 13th, 2017 10:12 pm

Seems like the difference is the same as it is in your translation: "it's better/good" versus "you should." からいい sounds much more indirect than ほうがいい in that it doesn't reference the person you are talking to at all, making it a more general statement.

Get 40% OFF
poyo1107
New in Town

Postby poyo1107 » April 14th, 2017 9:17 am

I'd say "kara ii" means "it's good because...", "hou ga ii" means "it's better (to)...".
So there is a pretty big difference in meaning and usage in my opinion.

The meaning of the last sentence should be "It's (so) good because you eat it only once in a while".

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » May 9th, 2017 2:03 am

小狼さん、jim.schuler san, poyo1107 san,
Konnichiwa.
I agree with poyo1107.
ほうがいい means ‘should’ or ‘had better’ or ‘might as well’ or ‘it might be a good idea to’ and so on.
On the other hand, から from からいい means ‘because’ so the whole meaning is ‘it is good because…’
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”