a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

If I could spare a moment of your time I need a dire opinion

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

redsunsfc3s
New in Town

If I could spare a moment of your time I need a dire opinion

Postby redsunsfc3s » June 3rd, 2007 4:57 pm

Hello, my name is Matt, I'm a recent college grad as of May 11, 2007. I graduated with a degree in Contemporary Arts B.A. Honors yada-yada-yada... I've always wanted to explore Japan for my passion was language and especially the high performance car scene in Japan.

Recently, my girlfriend is over there for 7 weeks, and I am truthfully very jealous at the moment.(of course I would not ruin her experience she has been enjoying herself since this first week she is there she is just having fron living with a friend and living it up.)

Her going there has made me look at my current career path. I wanted to find some way for me to stay and learn in the country while being able to travel and see the country. I know I could teach english through Jet or something, but I guess I wonder if it will suck all of my free time being strapped to after school activites with the kids and all that jazz?

I must truely say I have been frustrated since I've graduated. I'm not so keen on working. I wish their was an option for me to go there and just experience it all. I have been bitten with the bug all over again, and frankly I have been waiting 7 years for a chance like that. I almost want to throw my career in a maelstorm just to make my passion come true. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way as I.

But, can anybody tell me other options I could do besides teaching english? If I did english is it going to nuke all of my time away? Please hear me out! to college grads of the past and new college grads a like please give me a shout! Japanese tunning cars have been my thing since day one as well as culture and language. Anything would be a great help in guiding me in the right direction.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 3rd, 2007 11:39 pm

It's really difficult to both work and travel in Japan.
Vacations are short. And if you're teaching English your vacations are likely to be at the same time as everyone else in Japan, making travel less pleasant.

But if you're not teaching English you'll be working even longer hours.
If you live in Tokyo, chances are good that your free time will be eaten up by commuting.

And on top of that traveling in Japan is expensive.
I had 10 days off for Golden Week. I left Tokyo once... to drive to Mt. Fuji. (horrendous traffic jams... because the entire country had the day off)

Personally, I think that working and saving all of your money and then going on a lengthy trip is a lot more fun. (But that has whole other problems.)

Get 40% OFF
redsunsfc3s
New in Town

Postby redsunsfc3s » June 4th, 2007 1:32 am

annie wrote:It's really difficult to both work and travel in Japan.
Vacations are short. And if you're teaching English your vacations are likely to be at the same time as everyone else in Japan, making travel less pleasant.

But if you're not teaching English you'll be working even longer hours.
If you live in Tokyo, chances are good that your free time will be eaten up by commuting.

And on top of that traveling in Japan is expensive.
I had 10 days off for Golden Week. I left Tokyo once... to drive to Mt. Fuji. (horrendous traffic jams... because the entire country had the day off)

Personally, I think that working and saving all of your money and then going on a lengthy trip is a lot more fun. (But that has whole other problems.)

are you teaching in Japan right now? You're profiles says you are? are you teaching?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 4th, 2007 4:45 am

i am teaching in Japan.

I've taught eikaiwa in Chiba-ken (45 minute train ride from Tokyo).
Also junior high ALT in Nagano-ken (45 minute walk from the nearest station).
Currently teaching elementary and junior high as a NET (Native English Teacher) in Tokyo.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. There are a few other English teachers on the forums too. But, I'm taking my computer to the Apple store in about 5 minutes, so I'll be offline for a few days.

Robato
Been Around a Bit

Takes Your Time !

Postby Robato » June 4th, 2007 7:49 pm

Teaching will take your time .
Best to save and find the ways to be there cheapily.Explore the things you want to do.Learn the language and push your own interests.If you go down the teaching route do not expect so much time off etc as annie points out well.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”