Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Apart from Japanese, which language would you like to learn?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » May 17th, 2006 7:05 am

Soon my german and my english will be at the same level I think, and I really hope that my japanese will be as good as these languages. I speak swedish fluently and can understand much norwegian and danish because, duh, these three are like dialects. But there is so many languages I want to speak fluently and there is so little time. I hope that I can travel a lot and live in several countries for a time so that I can learn the languages better.

Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » May 19th, 2006 3:12 am

I took Spanish in grade school and German in high school and I'd love to learn to speak each fluently, kedo... I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's because I was educated by feminists. But I really, really can't stand nouns having gender. Especially when it's largely unpredictble and meaningless.

They're words! They don't have sexual organs. It's a bizarre systemic aberration of language and I will risk sounding like a foriegn buffoon to attach neutral gender to every noun or whatever gender to whatever noun I damn well please. Will the world please follow? O:)

Get 40% OFF
Brugg
Been Around a Bit

Postby Brugg » May 19th, 2006 6:26 pm

Genders are evil. Especially german ones. Just another reason to study japanese. Well.. they do have the "counter" strangeness, but at least that's got some variation to make it intresting. :mrgreen:

Lysse
New in Town

Postby Lysse » June 1st, 2006 1:14 pm

I actually studied both Spanish and German in junior high, but when I went to high school (Graduated some days ago) I didn't want to continue studying any of those languages, instead I chose Japanese and Chinese (Mandarin). Unfortunately I couldn't study Japanese that much due to various problems, but that's a little off-topic. ^^;

Right now I want to learn more Chinese so I'll be able to speak it better soon. I've also thought of starting to study Spanish again some time later in life, because I've got some Spanish-speaking friends.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » June 1st, 2006 2:38 pm

Well not all languages use genders that are either feminine our masculine, there is Utrum and Neutrum as well and lot's of others. In swedish we sometimes use feminine, masculine reale and neutrum and sometimes we pull them together to just utrum and neutrum. But don't get mad at the genders ;) They were first made to indicate words that really had gender for example boy & girl.

dukey13
New in Town

I speak many languages and I am learning many languages

Postby dukey13 » June 1st, 2006 8:26 pm

I speak German and English. I am learning Greek, Chinese, Russian and Indonesian currently. Don't know when I am going to use but hey, what the heck!!

The other languages which I would like to learn are Korean, Hebrew, Italian, Spanish and (I was inspired by one person who said that they wanted to learn Hawaian so,) Hawaian.

lolillo
Been Around a Bit

Postby lolillo » June 19th, 2006 4:58 pm

If I had the time and/or the self-discipline needed, I would like to learn all the languages which I have started at some point (courses that I have been buying through the years and left dormant): German (I have basic knowlege. though), Finnish, Italian, Danish, Swedish, Farsi, Icelandic, Hindi and more that I sure shall buy as they take my fancy). Of all the languages cited, I would really like to learn German, Finnish, Farsi, Icelandic and Hindi.

mbarlowm
New in Town

Postby mbarlowm » July 26th, 2006 10:16 pm

Native English, Fluent Spanish, Conversational ASL.

I have attempted to learn Italian, German, and Japanese. Thanks to JPOD101 the Japanese is really coming along nicely, but the other two have been forgotten.

If I had unlimited time, I also would like to learn Portugese and French.

As a side note, there is a girl from Bosnia who works with me and when she speaks Bosnian to her parents on the phone... that is one sexy language!

staceass
New in Town

Postby staceass » July 27th, 2006 8:24 pm

i'm a language addict--- i love them all and want to learn them all-- so i've jumped around a bit in my own studies... a little german here... a little spanish there... really japanese and french are the only ones i've ever really stuck with over the long haul, and that was mostly because my best friend is japanese, and being a canadian french is kinda mandatory.
i'd also like to learn mandarin chinese, vietnamese, thai, greek, arabic, farsie... oh i might as well face it... i want to learn them ALL.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 12th, 2007 1:58 am

Hmm, after Japanese (including all dialects!), I would want to try Chinese (I have two good friends that speak this), Korean, and maybe Esperanto. I don't think I'm nerdy enough to learn Klingon. ;)

German, French and Spanish seem like there is no challenge to them. :( I picked up quite a few German words and I was only there for two weeks.

I'm also learning British slang. Yes there is a difference between American and British English.

UPDATE:I think I will go with Korean, Spanish, and any native American languages that can still be taught by a native speaker. Italian sounds like a wonderful language to learn too.
Last edited by untmdsprt on October 13th, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Apart from Japanese, which language would you like to le

Postby Ulver_684 » May 12th, 2007 10:51 pm

The Frankensteiner wrote:For me it'd have to be German.
I know some people don't like the sound of it because it seems harsh and abrupt, but I've always loved the way it sounds. Maybe if I ever get this Japanese thing down I'll move on to German.

What about you guys?

Nazi! :lol: I'm just kidding! Beside Japanese, I want to learn Norigean, Chinese, Korean, French, Thai, etc! 8) :wink:

AdmiralAK
Been Around a Bit

Postby AdmiralAK » May 13th, 2007 6:40 pm

You guys are cool!
I love languages - I have a number of them that I want to learn:
Arabic
Hebrew (modern)
Turkish
Norwegian
Swedish
Dutch
Hindi
Thai
Portuguese
Occitan ('dialect' of french)
Catalan
Romanian
Hungarian
Korean

I would also like to continue my studies in:
Classical Greek
Bulgarian
Serbian/Croatian
Russian
Vietnamese
Chinese

I would like to improve my:
German
Spanish

I am only 26...by the time I reach 62 I should have a grasp on at least some of them :roll:
-----------------------------------------
Club-Admiralty
Copyright 1996-Present
http://www.club-admiralty.com

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 13th, 2007 11:26 pm

I tried Italian for about a month a couple of years ago and didn't think the genders were all that bad; they're fairly easy to learn and add an interesting sound to language. Of course, I can't speak for other languages that use genders though.

As for languages I'd like to learn, Chinese seems interesting but westerners can't pull it off very well. I'm still trying to convince myself I don't sound like an idiot speaking Japanese, which is much simpler pronounciation wise from what I know :lol:

untmdsprt, here's a few useful ones

bollo - short for bol*ocks, can use interchangeably with bullsh*t, and as a word for testiclé

fit - most people use this where americans would say 'hot' when describing the opposite sex.

mug - gullible or stupid person, e.g. 'what a mug', and as a verb 'she mugged you off' (took you for a fool).

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 14th, 2007 11:57 am

I've found a few websites that are British/American dictionaries. Quite a lot of reading!!

Oh, would cockney slang be considered a language all it's own?

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » May 14th, 2007 1:46 pm

untmdsprt wrote:I've found a few websites that are British/American dictionaries. Quite a lot of reading!!

Oh, would cockney slang be considered a language all it's own?

Do you mean cockney rhyming slang like 'dog and bone' for phone? You rarely hear that nowadays, at least when it comes to more youthful generations. I'm 21 and I never hear it. The last one I heard was 'Kermit the frog' (bog - slang for toilet).

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”