Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

ころ vs ごろ

Everything you need to know about the Japanese Language and How to Learn Japanese.

Discuss, ask questions and get answers on the Japanese Language and How to Learn Japanese.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderator Team

ronsharpe
New in Town

ころ vs ごろ

Postby ronsharpe » November 13th, 2006 9:51 pm

In reading Marshdrifter's question about ころ vs とき I realized that I was familiar with the expression as ごろ. This seems to be common in Japanese where voiced and unvoiced consonants are freely interchangeable, giving what I would interpret as two different spellings and two different pronunciations for the same word. Is there any difference in usage between voiced and unvoiced versions of these words? When would I use ころ vs ごろ?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: ころ vs ごろ

Postby Bueller_007 » November 14th, 2006 9:20 am

ronsharpe wrote:In reading Marshdrifter's question about ころ vs とき I realized that I was familiar with the expression as ごろ. This seems to be common in Japanese where voiced and unvoiced consonants are freely interchangeable, giving what I would interpret as two different spellings and two different pronunciations for the same word. Is there any difference in usage between voiced and unvoiced versions of these words? When would I use ころ vs ごろ?

As is usual when changing from unvoiced to voiced like this, "goro" is the way that "koro" is pronounced when used as a suffix. "Koro" is a standalone word, "goro" is a suffix.

http://tinyurl.com/yjuyvu
「ごろ」の形で他の語の下に付いて、接尾語的に用いる。
(ア)時を表す語に付いて、その前後を漠然と示す。
「一時―帰る」「二月―できあがる」「一六〇〇年―」
(イ)動詞の連用形に付いて、そうするのにちょうどよい状態である意を表す。
「桜は今が見―だ」「食べ―」
(ウ)名詞に付いて、その面でほどよいの意を表す。
「年―」「値―」「手―」
(エ)年・月・日などの語に付いて、かなり時間の経過したことを表す。
「年―も御祈りなどにつけ、語らひ給ひけれど/源氏(夢浮橋)」「月―隠させ給ひける本意/源氏(夢浮橋)」

So that means that it is used for the following reasons:
1) to represent time approximately (after a time word)
2) to represent the perfect time to do something (after a -masu stem)
3) to represent appropriacy/"goodness" of something's level/degree (after a noun)
4) to represent a long passage of time (after words like "day", "month", "year", etc.) *THIS IS VERY RARELY USED*

If your Japanese is up to the task, you should be using a Japanese-Japanese dictionary for questions like this. If your Japanese isn't up to the task, using a J-J dictionary is a good idea to help it get there.
Get 35% OFF Premium PLUS

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”