Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

I love Japanese but what can I use it for?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

MAGllKARP
New in Town

I love Japanese but what can I use it for?

Postby MAGllKARP » July 8th, 2014 6:46 pm

I know it sounds like a silly question but I love the idea of eventually moving to Japan and working there. I really like Japanese and one of my learning goals is to reach the point that I can read Japanese literature aimed at the modern Japanese adult (I'm not planning on learning to read old Japanese). I would probably seek to be near fluent/fluent (like at least N1 level) before I move there.

If I get to Japan, what might I be able to do (or what might I be able to do to get to Japan)? I'm odd in that I have no goals or dreams in the normal sense of seeking careers and instead am simply eclectic in the things I like (I like history, grammar, anime, video games, cooking, mathematics, reading, sports, etc.) I currently work as a delivery driver for a pizza company in Seattle and I love it simply because it allows me to work in a nice environment where I can also have time to think and learn and enjoy life.

I am college educated so I'm considering maybe trying to get to Japan in a few years through something like the JET program and then perhaps leveraging Japanese and English langauge skills in an effort to find a job somewhere in a similar organization that would allow me to stay in Japan. But that's really all I can think of for now. Honestly I'd probably be perfectly happy working at a Starbucks in Japan as long as it payed the bills (like I said, I'm weird lol).

So the tl;dr; is basically, what can I use Japanese for?

KingDog
Been Around a Bit

Re: I love Japanese but what can I use it for?

Postby KingDog » July 9th, 2014 4:48 pm

Sounds to me like you have several great reasons already :D

If your goal is to experience Japan, even for a short period of time, learning the language will be tremendously valuable. Japan has an amazing history and people, and it sounds like you already have an interest in learning more about it. Granted, you don't need to speak Japanese to learn about Japan, but the language will give you insights into the people and culture that you wont get from a history lesson in English.

Even the process of learning a language is a great way to keep the brain sharp. So even if you didn't find opportunities to use the language that much, there's still a great reason to learn :)

While I often struggle with my progress and expectations, learning a new language doesn't need to be a massive burden if you use those wasted or down time minutes that we all have during the day.

Even 10 minutes a day is great for keeping your momentum moving forward. I used to deliver pizza as well, and while I wasn't learning Japanese back then, I do know I had a lot of down time that I wish I used more productively :)

Get 40% OFF
MAGllKARP
New in Town

Postby MAGllKARP » July 11th, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah. It's a nice job for downtime because literally every time I get in my car to deliver I get 1-2 lessons of listening (just hook up my phone to my car and listen).

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 14th, 2014 7:56 am

MAGllKARP san, KingDog san

If you are a native English speaker and graduated from colleague, it’s not so hard to get a teaching English job in Japan.
If you have teaching certificate, it would be great however, some English school don’t care your major at university.
The Japanese government supports the JET program therefore it’s a secure job however, the criteria for selection is strict and they tend to hire of new graduates.
The birth rate in Japan has been decreasing and many constructors will be needed for building Olympics stadiums from now on.
Anyway If you can speak Japanese, you can have a chance to live in Japan.
ganbatte kudasai. :D

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”