Or sign up using Facebook

Pictures of everyday kanji - "About the new forum serie

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Pictures of everyday kanji - "About the new forum serie

Postby untmdsprt » May 21st, 2009 9:28 am

皆さん、こんにちは。

This is a new thread series geared towards life in Japan. For the average "Western" person, you've not been exposed to kanji on a daily basis. For those of you who are living in Japan, has there ever been a time where you needed to know the Kanji for something because it wasn't in English? From my own experiences, Kanji knowledge is essential for day to day tasks such as using the ATM or finding the right train platform.

The purpose of these new threads is to start gathering those Kanji that you
see everyday and collect them all into one place. You can post
either the kanji or a photo of the Kanji you think needs to be added to this list.

Some guidelines:
1. Having a photo is best. For entries without photos, post a photo and I'll change the link to direct to your photo.
2. Not knowing the Kanji is fine! Post a photo of the sign you see and we'll all try to help you and add a new entry to the thread.
2. Please give the Kanji, Kana reading, Romaji reading and then meaning for each new word. (Ex: 漢字, かんじ kanji - Chinese character.)
3. *Make sure sure the correct Romaji is given (e.g. 中央 is actually chuuou, not chuo.
4. Lastly, remember that we were all clueless newbies at one point in our Japanese studies. Nobody is stupid here!

The purpose of this series is to start gathering those kanji that you see everyday, but not necessarily know what it means. You can post either the kanji, or better yet, a photo of the kanji you think needs to be added to this list. Please keep the photo small but readable. You'll have to post the link to your photo sharing site to do so though.

Replying to this thread with topic suggestions is very welcome! We can make new sticky'd threads if we have enough interest. Depending on the number threads everyone puts together, maybe we could get a new forum for just these threads!

Starting off the series will be trains, buses, and taxis.
Last edited by untmdsprt on May 21st, 2009 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » May 21st, 2009 8:24 pm

Neat idea. I've always found real-life instances like this to be highly refreshing material after being stuck in a textbook for awhile. Here are two that Google先生 found for me that I feel represent the kinds of things you'll see in daily life:

こちらの扉は閉鎖しました。正面エントランスの扉をご利用ください。
kochira no tobira wa heisa shimashita. shoumen entoransu no tobira wo go-riyou kudasai
This gate is closed. Please use the door at the front entrance.
扉=とびら=tobira=door/gate
閉鎖=へいさ=heisa=closing
正面=しょうめん=shoumen=front;
利用=りよう=riyou=use

Try reading this one before you scroll down to see it right-side-up. ;)
超急カーブ
chou-kyuu-kaabu
超=ちょう=chou=super
急カーブ=きゅうカーブ=kyuu-kaabu=steep curve

That was fun. Who's next?
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 22nd, 2009 9:34 am

I wonder if the second one could go into the transportation section under a new listing of street signs?

What does everyone think?

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 26th, 2009 12:33 pm

Beltonさん had posted a message on here about possibly hosting people's pictures so they can link to this topic.

Unfortunately, it has been deleted by someone. What kind of free options are there for people to upload their photos?

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » May 26th, 2009 1:42 pm

untmdsprt-san,
There are various free hosting options available. Two popular choices are http://photobucket.com/ and http://imageshack.us/ .

I personally prefer photobucket but either host is fine. Imageshack allows you to upload an image without registration but it's probably best to register so you can keep track of uploads and create albums etc.
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 26th, 2009 3:51 pm

I deleted my message as I thought it wasn't quite right for the announcement.

I'm still willing to host the photos on my site.
There could well be a timelag however for inclusion in a post, where freehosting might be better.
Time willing I'd like to collate them into thematic collections or an easier way to search or browse than a forum thread. I'd keep links to the forum discussion on the photo captions.

If anyone is interested they can IM me.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 27th, 2009 8:52 am

Can someone translate this one? I'm assuming it's to watch your head from objects above. Found it near a construction site.

Another one:

This does indeed have braille on top of the button you press to cross the street.
Last edited by untmdsprt on June 24th, 2009 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 27th, 2009 9:24 am

Belton wrote:I deleted my message as I thought it wasn't quite right for the announcement.

I'm still willing to host the photos on my site.
There could well be a timelag however for inclusion in a post, where freehosting might be better.
Time willing I'd like to collate them into thematic collections or an easier way to search or browse than a forum thread. I'd keep links to the forum discussion on the photo captions.

If anyone is interested they can IM me.

No problem!

Just a reminder again, please keep the photos small but readable. I have posted two that I've taken on the way home one night. I believe this size should be adequate for posting to the forum.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 27th, 2009 9:55 am

注意 [ちゅうい] caution
頭上 [ずじょう] overhead

頭上に注意 : Watch your head.

Waeiji is quite good for all these sorts of signage.

音響 [おんきょう] noise, accoustic
用押ボタン [ようおう ?]push button

sound push button ?

I suggest you push it to find out!

火災警報用押ボタン : fire-alarm push-button

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 27th, 2009 10:08 am

For really cool signs check this guy out
http://www.shiawase.co.uk/2009/01/26/ja ... e-signage/

For an archive of signs but no translations have a look here.
http://www.manythings.org/japanese/signs/

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » May 27th, 2009 10:10 am

untmdsprt wrote:Image
Can someone translate this one? I'm assuming it's to watch your head from objects above. Found it near a construction site.

頭上注意 = Watch your above.
足元注意 = Watch your step.

untmdsprt wrote:Another one:

a push button for sound.
This button is intended for blind people. Sound gives out during a blue light of the traffic signal.
http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/kot ... bility.htm

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 27th, 2009 10:49 am

This button is intended for blind people. Sound gives out during a blue light of the traffic signal.

Does anyone see the possible problem here?
Is the lettering raised or does it have Braille? (It has on the button box, then I wonder about the need for a sign...)
Or is it large for partially sighted people?
It would seem better to have an audible warning all the time or if the noise was unwelcome a vibrating panel on the pedestrian button would be useful. (in the UK, often when you reach under a button box there is a cone that rotates when the pedestrian light turns green)

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » May 28th, 2009 7:35 am

Is the lettering raised or does it have Braille? (It has on the button box, then I wonder about the need for a sign...)

Belton-san,
I saw one of these signs today and remembered about your post. I couldn't see any braile and the sign that I saw was not very large. It does seem strange.. :)
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 28th, 2009 9:19 am

Maybe it's for the old people who take longer to get across the street, or other physically challenged people.

Now I do know blind people can follow the yellow plastic/rubber road that they've put down on all the sidewalks. Maybe those things end where that button is.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 28th, 2009 10:05 am

It just strikes me as redundant or strange design to have the sign.
It seems to just turn on an audible signal when it is safe to cross, I doubt very much it adjusts the amount of time the traffic signal is red to allow for slower people.

In Kyoto and Nagoya I remember most if not all crossings have the ピュウピュウ sound without a button (the other crossing on a four way intersection has a different sound I think). or they play a tune, (I'm thinking of the crossing outside Kyoto JR station). I've even heard audio locators in train stations. Japan streetscapes can be noisy places.

What I can't remember seeing in Japan is a pedestrian request stop. You wait on the signal to cycle. So maybe a button on a crossing is unusual enough to need signage. Mind you I always wonder if request buttons do anything other than light up on pedestrian crossings.

Return to “Visiting Japan”