a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kondo wa Peter-san no eigo ga hairimasu

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

MichaelMcDonald
Been Around a Bit

Kondo wa Peter-san no eigo ga hairimasu

Postby MichaelMcDonald » May 1st, 2008 8:40 am

I've been wondering all this time what is the exact translation for this phrase they say in almost every lesson, after the normal speed and slower speed dialogues. Obviously it means something like 'This time Peter will say it in English', but what is the literal meaning and what is the overall translation?

Is it the verb 入る (hairu)? As far as I know that doesn't literally mean translate so what is the nuance here?

Thanks!

M.

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Re: Kondo wa Peter-san no eigo ga hairimasu

Postby hatch_jp » May 1st, 2008 9:48 am

MichaelMcDonald wrote:I've been wondering all this time what is the exact translation for this phrase they say in almost every lesson, after the normal speed and slower speed dialogues. Obviously it means something like 'This time Peter will say it in English', but what is the literal meaning and what is the overall translation?

Is it the verb 入る (hairu)? As far as I know that doesn't literally mean translate so what is the nuance here?

Thanks!

M.

As you know, 入る(hairu) means "put into", "enter" or "go into".

こんどは、ピーターさんの えいご が (ぶん の あいだに) はいります。
kondo wa, Peter san no eigo ga ( bun no aida ni ) hairi masu.

"( bun no aida ni )" is omited in this sentence.

This time Peter's English will be put into between sentences.

Get 40% OFF
Knocks
Been Around a Bit

Postby Knocks » December 16th, 2008 12:14 am

What a great explanation, thank you. Been wondering about this for a while.

But why is it eigo ga instead of eigo wo? You are inserting "eigo" into "bun no iada," so doesn't that make "eigo" a direct object?

madeducator
New in Town

So that's what it means...

Postby madeducator » December 16th, 2008 4:46 am

Thank you for explaining. I was wondering the same thing. :)

QuackingShoe
Expert on Something

Postby QuackingShoe » December 16th, 2008 6:19 am

Knocks wrote:What a great explanation, thank you. Been wondering about this for a while.

But why is it eigo ga instead of eigo wo? You are inserting "eigo" into "bun no iada," so doesn't that make "eigo" a direct object?

入る (はいる/hairu) is an intransitive verb. The English will enter. For someone to put something else in, one would need to say 入れる(いれる/ireru).
So even though Hatch's translation was passive, this was really just for naturalization. The Japanese sentence is actually active, and English is the subject.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”