a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Microsoft OneNote for Studing

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jimmy33
New in Town

Microsoft OneNote for Studing

Postby jimmy33 » October 2nd, 2007 2:55 am

I Just recently started using Microsoft Office 2007 and now I'm using the new feature called OneNote to compile all my Japanese study notes (vocabulary lists, cultural notes, common phrases…) in one easy to use digital notebook. I only have the program configured in English which is a pain seeing how it recognizes all of my kana and ramaji as misspelled. So now I’m wondering if anyone knows a way to configure Microsoft Office to have support for both English and Japanese? I already have Easter Language settings enabled on my computer and have also tried to launch the program with “Applocale” (a regional language selecting program for file launching). I know I could go about getting the Japanese version of Microsoft Office of course, but then it would be the other way around where I need English language support. Anyone know a way around all this?

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » October 2nd, 2007 3:41 am

i'm not sure abt onenote, but if it's just the spelling and grammatical detections (with those irritating red and green jagged underlines), you can turn them off from the spelling / grammer options (i think it's F7).

Get 40% OFF
jimmy33
New in Town

Postby jimmy33 » October 3rd, 2007 3:12 am

Turns out there are "language packs" that can be purchased and installed from Microsoft. The add-on allows recognition of both languages at the same time as well as adds support for spellcheck, Thesauri, translation dictionaries and other stuff in either language of choice. ^_^

Here is a link to a Word Document with all the info if this catches anyones intrest:
LanguagePack2007Datasheet.doc

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » October 31st, 2007 9:14 pm

jimmy33 wrote:Turns out there are "language packs" that can be purchased and installed from Microsoft. The add-on allows recognition of both languages at the same time as well as adds support for spellcheck, Thesauri, translation dictionaries and other stuff in either language of choice. ^_^

Here is a link to a Word Document with all the info if this catches anyones intrest:
LanguagePack2007Datasheet.doc

Jimmy33-san! :wink:

Thank you for that link I also have one note and I'm going to do that too. :cool:

jimmy33
New in Town

Postby jimmy33 » November 25th, 2007 11:16 pm

Well sadly, after using it for a while and also reading threw the guide: Although the program advertises to have language support functions, some of the languages (such as Japanese) have limited support.

To be honest, after installing the package I don't see any difference in any of the Office programs and OneNote still sees all kana as miss spelled. The only real function I have been able to get out of it is that I can change the regional language on the interface, which really serves me no good at all.

Language support can seem very one sided at times going from English-Japanese. Another example is that the best Electronic Dictionaries on the markit (such as the XD-GW9600) are actually Japanese-English Dictionaries and so you won't have the same amount of support and definition as you would if you were on the other side of the table.

jemstone
Expert on Something

Postby jemstone » November 26th, 2007 1:14 am

that's weird.... i remember there were at least two dictionaries that i own, one is for japanese->english, the other was english->japanese... though both were actual physical books, i thought logically there would be their electronic counterpart...

my girlfriend has a program on her pda that does that.. she types in the english word and it gives her all the variation of the japanese language (or almost all).

jimmy33
New in Town

Postby jimmy33 » November 26th, 2007 3:39 am

Oh don't get me wrong there are still options on the dictionaries to go back and forth from languages, I'm just pointing out that the majority of the dictionaries were more exclusively made in mind of the Japanese consume giving broader Japanese explanations and options. You can follow this topic more closely at this website here:

Tokyo Tsure Zure Gusa

Which is also an excellent blog website to help make the right choice in buying your first Electronic Dictionary. I ended up going with the Casio my self (Although all the menus are in Japanese thick with Kanji).

There are even cheaper avenues of approach such as the Nintendo DS Kanji Dictionaries like "Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten". Which although has very limited definitions, it also has one of the finest written Kanji recognition AIs I have ever used! (any thing to help my bad penmanship :lol: )[/url]

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » November 29th, 2007 9:00 pm

jimmy33 wrote:Oh don't get me wrong there are still options on the dictionaries to go back and forth from languages, I'm just pointing out that the majority of the dictionaries were more exclusively made in mind of the Japanese consume giving broader Japanese explanations and options. You can follow this topic more closely at this website here:

Tokyo Tsure Zure Gusa

Which is also an excellent blog website to help make the right choice in buying your first Electronic Dictionary. I ended up going with the Casio my self (Although all the menus are in Japanese thick with Kanji).

There are even cheaper avenues of approach such as the Nintendo DS Kanji Dictionaries like "Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten". Which although has very limited definitions, it also has one of the finest written Kanji recognition AIs I have ever used! (any thing to help my bad penmanship :lol: )[/url]

Jimmy33-san! :wink:

Thank you for sharing us this information! 8)

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”