a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Very, very nice

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Abrassart
Established Presence

Very, very nice

Postby Abrassart » December 13th, 2006 9:59 am

It's really fun to listen to the beginning of the show. At that time, Peter was saying all the time "nice", or "very nice", sometimes even "very, very nice". The lessons were like this:

- Sakura, could you tell the word again, nice and slow.
- Ohayo.
- Nice, very very nice. :lol:

I'm a big fan of Peter-san, but I must say that sometimes he really sounded like a big pervert. :lol:

We could do a contest about when did he loose this habit. At one point hte "Nice" stopped. But wich lesson was it. And an other metaphysical question about it is: did he loose it naturally, or did someone tell him to stop saying it all the time?

Fascinating...

OK. I'm on my way now... :roll:

Derek
Been Around a Bit

Postby Derek » December 13th, 2006 6:58 pm

Yeah, that was kinda annoying. I never wanted to bring it up, but since you did...

I believe that I counted the word "Very" 37 times in one podcast. It got to the point where I was laughing every time I heard "very." I had to listen to the same podcast a couple of times because I missed everything, laughing at all of the "very's." :lol:

On a similar note, I could do without the, "Without further adieu's" and the "Let's jump right in's." Mostly because Peter would say (And still says, for that matter), "Without further adieu" and then he would keep talking for a while before actually ending the "adieu."

Plus "Adieu" is a French word, why are we using French in a English language, Japanese learning podcast? I have enough problems with 2 languages. :P

Well, I'm done. Anybody else wanna pile on?

Sorry Peter. :P :mrgreen:

Get 40% OFF
Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » December 13th, 2006 7:23 pm

Hm..Isn't that "ado" or however that's spelled, like in "much ado about nothing"?

Derek
Been Around a Bit

Postby Derek » December 13th, 2006 7:47 pm

Solvi wrote:Hm..Isn't that "ado" or however that's spelled, like in "much ado about nothing"?

Hmm, I think you are right. I have been known to be an idiot from time to time. :P My point remains valid, however. If you say without further ado, you shouldn't continue speaking about the previous topic, thus adding to the ado.

Now that I think about it "adieu" means goodbye doesn't it? Arggh! How dare you use facts to ruin my otherwise flawless argument!!! :wink:

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » December 13th, 2006 11:38 pm

Derek wrote:Plus "Adieu" is a French word, why are we using French in a English language, Japanese learning podcast? I have enough problems with 2 languages. :P

Well, I speak french as a native language, so chut up. :lol: Anyway, I don't ear "adieu" either. I'm going for the "ado" also.

Very, very nice. One more time, slowly please... :lol:

Lintu
New in Town

Postby Lintu » December 14th, 2006 12:31 am

Abrassart wrote:
Derek wrote:Plus "Adieu" is a French word, why are we using French in a English language, Japanese learning podcast? I have enough problems with 2 languages. :P

Well, I speak french as a native language, so chut up. :lol: Anyway, I don't ear "adieu" either. I'm going for the "ado" also.

Very, very nice. One more time, slowly please... :lol:

Yup, another French speaker here---ado and adieu sound pretty different, although sometimes when he says it so much, I start to hear it as adieu :)

Derek
Been Around a Bit

Postby Derek » December 14th, 2006 3:42 am

Oh that's fine, everybody pile on Derek. I see how it is. :P

Now, without further ado, let's all continue to rip on Peter, okay? :roll:

"Very, very nice..."

:P

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » December 14th, 2006 7:32 am

Derek wrote:Now, without further ado, let's all continue to rip on Peter, okay? :roll:

"Very, very nice..."

:P

Poor Peter, he doesn't deserve this.

Well, yep, no, never mind. In fact he deserve this. After listening to "nice, very nice, nice and slow" 37 times in one lesson, my brain start to melt down... :lol:

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » December 18th, 2006 2:04 am

You guys...stop picking on Cap'n Smiley-Face! Doesn't he get enough teasing from the other members of the team?

Besides, he hasn't really stopped saying "Very Nice." They just got a good sound editor :D

Oh, and something you might find amusing (don't know if I ever mentioned this before) but speaking of confusing two languages, I am a JET (assistant English language teacher) and one of my Japanese students came to me the other day and asked me what the words "au lait" on her cafe au lait (very commonly sold in vending machines in Japan) meant in English. I explained that "au lait" was French, and I thought it just meant "with milk" or "of milk". A sudden light dawned on her face as she declared, "That's why they yell it at the bulls in bullfighting to make them mad!"

I just didn't have the heart to destroy her carefully established intuitive leap, so I nodded and walked away, and proceeded to collapse in giggles.

Sean

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » December 18th, 2006 3:42 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Lambrix
New in Town

Postby Lambrix » December 18th, 2006 6:01 am

That story just made my night. I haven't laughted like that in days! Thank you seanolan!

Derek
Been Around a Bit

Postby Derek » December 18th, 2006 2:46 pm

seanolan wrote:Besides, he hasn't really stopped saying "Very Nice." They just got a good sound editor :D

Yeah, you're probably right about that. :P

seanolan wrote:I explained that "au lait" was French, and I thought it just meant "with milk" or "of milk". A sudden light dawned on her face as she declared, "That's why they yell it at the bulls in bullfighting to make them mad!"

I just didn't have the heart to destroy her carefully established intuitive leap, so I nodded and walked away, and proceeded to collapse in giggles.

That might be the funniest thing that I have heard all week. Now I'll never again be able to see a bull without giggling.

Thanks Sean :roll:

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » December 18th, 2006 9:41 pm

seanolan wrote:A sudden light dawned on her face as she declared, "That's why they yell it at the bulls in bullfighting to make them mad!"

I suppose they yell at the bull "au laid" (with a d and not a t) instaid?

Sorry, I don't really understand the story. You see, in Belgium, we are not insane and don't try to make bulls mad. :lol:

Derek
Been Around a Bit

Postby Derek » December 18th, 2006 10:47 pm

Abrassart wrote:I suppose they yell at the bull "au laid" (with a d and not a t) instaid?

No, they yell, "Olé!" It sort of sounds like "au lait." Here's the explanation from Wikipedia:

Olé

* In Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, 'Olé!' is used to express excited approval, such as cheering at sporting events. It is possibly derived from Arabic wa-llāh, "by God!"

Abrassart wrote:Sorry, I don't really understand the story. You see, in Belgium, we are not insane and don't try to make bulls mad. :lol:

Yeah, I try to avoid angering animals that are larger than me, as well. Must be a Spanish thing. :roll:

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » December 18th, 2006 11:08 pm

Derek wrote:Olé

Oh, yes, that...

Well, now that you say so...

I'm definitively not Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian... :lol:

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”