a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

History lesson

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

JockZon
Expert on Something

History lesson

Postby JockZon » May 3rd, 2006 7:04 pm

I really want to learn japanese history and I think you should use the culture class for this or make it an own section called history class. I would be so happy if you consider doing this. I bet there are many other with me that want to know about the japanese history.
:lol:

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 3rd, 2006 8:20 pm

I want to know some history as well, but somehow I don't see it happening.
Unfortunately.
Last edited by The Frankensteiner on May 4th, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » May 3rd, 2006 8:24 pm

Yeah that's too bad. But somehow we could get the crew's attention.

arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Postby arancarlisle » May 3rd, 2006 9:15 pm

I think this subject is too complex for such a short format.

I highly recommend the DVD called "Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire".

Although not perfect, it is a great introduction to the Tokugawa Shogunate era, which is an incredibly important part of Japanese history. Once you become familiar with some of the main names and places of that era of Japan's history, I think you will find that it is much easier to start digesting other historical periods.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 3rd, 2006 10:00 pm

arancarlisle wrote:I think this subject is too complex for such a short format.

I agree. Also, the whole idea behind JPod101 is to help prepare people to get around in modern Japan. While history is certainly important and interesting, I think it's completely outside the scope of JPod101.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 4th, 2006 11:09 am

That's true. It'd take a lot of podcast time to learn history. Time that could be used to teach us more Japanese language.

Nah, as much as I find the history interesting I think I'd rather keep it out of the podcast. I'll just check out that DVD that was mentioned.

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » October 11th, 2006 10:23 am

I don't agree. I really think that some cultural lessons could cover some historical aspect of Japan. I really don't see why not, when I see other topics that they already covered.

They could do a leçon explaining for exemple what was the Meiji era, and so on...

I know already quite a bit about Japan's history, but it would be nice to hear what JapanesePod101 has to say about it...

tarokun
Been Around a Bit

Postby tarokun » October 15th, 2006 10:04 pm

I like the idea of some historical context lessons too. It's easy to speak *correct* japanese knowing just the grammatical rules and sufficient vocabulary, but to be able to speak *fluent* japanese you need to understand the culture. And history is usually a very significant part of a culture, especially of a nation going as far back as Japan has.

The short format is not a problem. I have listened to a chinese radio station where in each 15-minutes episode daily they used skits to cover one historical event. It was highly entertaining and informative. I'm sure the voice talent of jpod101 would have no problem tackling this challenge.
かなりの偏食なのでいろいろありすぎ。

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 16th, 2006 2:58 am

I'm quite interested in Japanese history, but I'm not at all interested in listening to a 15-minute audio history lesson about the Battle of Sekigahara. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of listeners aren't too keen on getting a history lesson delivered automatically to their computer once or twice a week.

Why not just go to Wikipedia?

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » October 16th, 2006 3:57 am

I think you might lose that bet, Bueller, as 3 of the top 25 podcasts in the education genre on Podcast Alley are history podcasts. I'd listen to a 15 minute history lesson on Japan. It wouldn't stick, since I barely remember American history, but I'd gladly listen.

Sean

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » October 16th, 2006 9:09 am

I think it depends mainly of how it's done.

If it's done just about the past, well 15 minutes it's too short. But if it's related to today, it could be nice.

One exemple: in one lesson, they explain about Achiko (the dog in Shibuya). Well, they explain why this statue is there. That's history. And this explain the statue TODAY.

I think they should do "history" lesson that kind of way... Like if a place has the name of someone, explaining who it was for exemple. And so on...

Well, maybe it's not that easy for them... :lol:

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 16th, 2006 11:34 pm

seanolan wrote:I think you might lose that bet, Bueller, as 3 of the top 25 podcasts in the education genre on Podcast Alley are history podcasts. I'd listen to a 15 minute history lesson on Japan. It wouldn't stick, since I barely remember American history, but I'd gladly listen.

Sean

Yes, but those people were primarily interested in history when they signed up. Unlike jpod listeners, who signed up primarily to get the language.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”