Or sign up using Facebook

doki-doki? waku-waku?? what are those?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Faiti
New in Town

doki-doki? waku-waku?? what are those?

Postby Faiti » March 16th, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi!

I've been listening your lessons very recently, as an avid anime watcher I have noticed that japanese people have these terms (words?) and I've been unable to find some info about them.

A friend of mine told me that these are very common in japanese, but didn't know the exact meaning of them, I think it would be great to have a lesson dealing with this topic

Thanks for all your efforts, and I'll keep on listening to you.

Abrassart
Established Presence

Re: doki-doki? waku-waku?? what are those?

Postby Abrassart » March 16th, 2007 4:17 pm

Faiti wrote:A friend of mine told me that these are very common in japanese, but didn't know the exact meaning of them, I think it would be great to have a lesson dealing with this topic.

It's strange, because they talk about it in the "Newbie Lesson" serie. You should start with those lessons, since you are a newbie... :lol: In the number 13, they talk about "onaka peko-peko" ("stomac empty"). And even before the Newbie Lesson 13, they talk about another one also...
Very, very nice. Without further ado, let's jump right in!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Faiti
New in Town

Postby Faiti » March 16th, 2007 4:27 pm

Thank you, I was listening to the beginners before the newbie ones, probably my bad :roll:

Faiti
New in Town

Postby Faiti » March 17th, 2007 12:35 am

Ok, I've listened to the Newbie series, but the point still stands, I've heard some of these onomatopeia, but there are a lot that I do not know the meaning and I've been unable to find more about them, so I still find that a lesson talking specifically about the onomatopeia would be very useful.

Thanks

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » March 17th, 2007 8:34 am

Here are the onomatopoeia you asked about:

dokidoki = the sound of rapid heartbeats (caused by worry, fear, surprise, excited anticipation)

wakuwaku = tremble, become nervous

:)

P.S. There's a book 'Jazz up your Japanese with Onomatopoeia' by Hiroko Fukuda, which is worth a look. However, while it covers loads, there are still onomatopoeia that aren't in there, in which case I try my canon wordtank, or use an online EDICT dictionary. Usually I can find the word between these three sources.

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » March 17th, 2007 2:59 pm

Faiti wrote:Ok, I've listened to the Newbie series, but the point still stands, I've heard some of these onomatopeia, but there are a lot that I do not know the meaning and I've been unable to find more about them, so I still find that a lesson talking specifically about the onomatopeia would be very useful.

Yep, I do agree with that, but in the "Newbie series", Peter-san says that they will talk more about it later on. Wait and see... :wink:

Anyway, one lesson about it could be nice, but for me, it's best to learn one onomatopeia after another. It's difficult to remember a lot of onomatopeia after listening to only one lesson. So I really like the idea that they will slowly introduce one onomatopeia after another trought the "Newbie series", one at a time.

But hey, we are all different in our way to learn japanese, so that's just me... :roll:
Very, very nice. Without further ado, let's jump right in!

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » March 17th, 2007 5:54 pm

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0002/
Check out vol 49 and vol 50 for some more onomatopoeia

Faiti
New in Town

Postby Faiti » March 18th, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for the fast replies.

Will look to those sources you gave me, thanks a lot!!

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”