Or sign up using Facebook

doki-doki? waku-waku?? what are those?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Faiti
New in Town

doki-doki? waku-waku?? what are those?

Postby Faiti » March 16th, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi!

I've been listening your lessons very recently, as an avid anime watcher I have noticed that japanese people have these terms (words?) and I've been unable to find some info about them.

A friend of mine told me that these are very common in japanese, but didn't know the exact meaning of them, I think it would be great to have a lesson dealing with this topic

Thanks for all your efforts, and I'll keep on listening to you.

Abrassart
Established Presence

Re: doki-doki? waku-waku?? what are those?

Postby Abrassart » March 16th, 2007 4:17 pm

Faiti wrote:A friend of mine told me that these are very common in japanese, but didn't know the exact meaning of them, I think it would be great to have a lesson dealing with this topic.

It's strange, because they talk about it in the "Newbie Lesson" serie. You should start with those lessons, since you are a newbie... :lol: In the number 13, they talk about "onaka peko-peko" ("stomac empty"). And even before the Newbie Lesson 13, they talk about another one also...
Very, very nice. Without further ado, let's jump right in!

Get your free gifts of the month
Faiti
New in Town

Postby Faiti » March 16th, 2007 4:27 pm

Thank you, I was listening to the beginners before the newbie ones, probably my bad :roll:

Faiti
New in Town

Postby Faiti » March 17th, 2007 12:35 am

Ok, I've listened to the Newbie series, but the point still stands, I've heard some of these onomatopeia, but there are a lot that I do not know the meaning and I've been unable to find more about them, so I still find that a lesson talking specifically about the onomatopeia would be very useful.

Thanks

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » March 17th, 2007 8:34 am

Here are the onomatopoeia you asked about:

dokidoki = the sound of rapid heartbeats (caused by worry, fear, surprise, excited anticipation)

wakuwaku = tremble, become nervous

:)

P.S. There's a book 'Jazz up your Japanese with Onomatopoeia' by Hiroko Fukuda, which is worth a look. However, while it covers loads, there are still onomatopoeia that aren't in there, in which case I try my canon wordtank, or use an online EDICT dictionary. Usually I can find the word between these three sources.

Abrassart
Established Presence

Postby Abrassart » March 17th, 2007 2:59 pm

Faiti wrote:Ok, I've listened to the Newbie series, but the point still stands, I've heard some of these onomatopeia, but there are a lot that I do not know the meaning and I've been unable to find more about them, so I still find that a lesson talking specifically about the onomatopeia would be very useful.

Yep, I do agree with that, but in the "Newbie series", Peter-san says that they will talk more about it later on. Wait and see... :wink:

Anyway, one lesson about it could be nice, but for me, it's best to learn one onomatopeia after another. It's difficult to remember a lot of onomatopeia after listening to only one lesson. So I really like the idea that they will slowly introduce one onomatopeia after another trought the "Newbie series", one at a time.

But hey, we are all different in our way to learn japanese, so that's just me... :roll:
Very, very nice. Without further ado, let's jump right in!

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » March 17th, 2007 5:54 pm

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0002/
Check out vol 49 and vol 50 for some more onomatopoeia

Faiti
New in Town

Postby Faiti » March 18th, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for the fast replies.

Will look to those sources you gave me, thanks a lot!!

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”