a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Comments on Epod101

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Comments on Epod101

Postby ShiroiNeko » March 30th, 2008 1:08 am

How many Jpodder's are also using EPOD101 ?
I'm finding it very useful to supplement my studies.

I have noticed in EPOD101 that there a bias towards American use of English words and expressions.
Not that this is a bad thing, but I wonder if Japanese students studying English could get confused if they assume that these would be in standard use in other English speaking countries.

Some minor cultural examples from an Australian English viewpoint:
-- the word "slicker" for raincoat is almost unheard of
-- I have never known *anyone* who colors eggs for Easter - we just give out, and eat, lots of chocolate eggs

I don't know what English tests in Japan are based on, but perhaps EPOD could do some features on customs and word usage for different English speaking countries?

( I would have put this in the EPOD forum, but it's a bit beyond my level ... )

Fiercecat
:kitty: ooOO ( Hissss Fffttt )

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » March 30th, 2008 1:35 am

There are several of us English speakers over at EP101.
For about the first month, I recognized most of the users there as users of this site. Your English is obviously great, the English students over at EP101 would have probably appreciated this thread there. (In English, even) I do agree, the lessons do seem to be based around the American dialect, however, regardless which major dialect a person learns, they most likely will be understood by speakers of most dialects. Keep in mind that people have a significantly larger passive vocabulary than active. (They understand significantly more words than they use.) I haven't noticed too much slang, but more of common terms that would be generally understood by all, even if the sentence patterns are more American. (I have noticed some significant differences in sentence patterns by listening to the BBC. Specifically, we (Americans) typically use more definitive articles)

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » March 30th, 2008 5:45 am

It would depend on why a particular person was studying English.
For general understanding, I agree that an American focus is not going to cause any difficulty, even though I have noticed many minor "Americanisms" in the lesson explanations.

If the student wants to enhance their English to visit a particular country, then a comparison of different cultural meanings and differences may actually avoid potential embarrassment.

For example, in Australia ....

We do not "root" for a sports team - we follow or "barrack" for them.
To "root" (verb) in Australia has a rather crude and rude biological meaning !!

Fiercecat
:kitty: ooOO ( Grrrrrr )

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 30th, 2008 8:32 am

I think as long as they make it clear that these American-specific cultural elements are... American, it should avoid any confusion. I've noticed that a lot of the culture introduced in the audio blogs, for example, has little bearing outside of America, but since they're all in English I haven't listened to them so I don't know if this is emphasised. If a Japanese friend brought me a turkey in October, for instance, I'd be a little confused :lol:

I think the dialect issues are much less significant, since American television has invaded every Western country and beyond, everybody is familiar with, and in a lot of cases even uses, a whole range of American words and slang.

In England, we support or follow a team in a general sense, but for any given match you can root for a particular side, e.g. 'rooting for the underdog', which I believed to be a universal expression :shock:

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: Comments on Epod101

Postby Jason » March 30th, 2008 11:44 am

ShiroiNeko wrote:( I would have put this in the EPOD forum, but it's a bit beyond my level ... )

Both the site and the forum can be displayed in English. We can always use discussion over there. :D
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » March 31st, 2008 8:53 am

the word "slicker" for raincoat is almost unheard of

i'm american and i've never heard of that either :lol:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Postby ShiroiNeko » March 31st, 2008 11:07 am

markystar wrote:

( Extract from EPOD 101 audio blog 19 .. )
.. he pulls on his hand, looped into hers at the end of his blue plastic slicker....

Fiercecat
:kitty: ooOO ( *Arches Back, Bristles Fur* -Menacing- Yowwwwl )

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » March 31st, 2008 1:31 pm

markystar wrote:

I'm American, I've heard of it, but it sounds a little old.

Return to “Feature Requests”