Or sign up using Facebook

Transalation unclear

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

duyn41146409
New in Town

Transalation unclear

Postby duyn41146409 » June 26th, 2013 1:16 am

Hi all

can anybody help me to translate two sentences into English and explain brief grammar for me

highly appreciated thanks

この濃度は国が海に出しても問題がないと決めた濃度より高かくなっていました。

これは国が海に出しても問題がないと決めた濃度の50分の1以下です。しかし、地下水と同なじようなときに濃度が高かくなっているため、東京電力は地下水が海に出でた可能性もあると考えて、細かく調べることにしました

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Transalation unclear

Postby community.japanese » June 26th, 2013 7:51 am

duyn41146409-san,
that's a difficult article...

この濃度は国が海に出しても問題がないと決めた濃度より高くなっていました。
=> This concentration was higher than that of goverment's safe criteria.
You can understand this sentence as
[この濃度は] [国が海に出しても問題がないと決めた濃度] [より] [高く] [なっていました。]
1.この濃度は、A より 高くなっていました。
2.A = 濃度 => What kind of concentration? => 国が「問題ない」と決めた concentration
3.問題がない for what? => 海に出す

As to the rest, you can try first using these tips for reading :wink:
Please feel free to post your own translation and ask us focused question about "how grammar works";
we're happy to help you there (it's better and easier to focus what you don't understand to help) :D

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » June 28th, 2013 1:52 am

海 where does うみ fit into that translation?

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 30th, 2013 8:34 am

cloa513ch2629-san,
literally, 海に出す means "to drain off into the sea".

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » June 30th, 2013 10:39 pm

So your translation wasn't complete. You meant- In regards to sea discharge, the concentration was ...

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » June 30th, 2013 11:46 pm

cloa513ch2629 wrote:So your translation wasn't complete.

That is probably because the OP asked if someone could "help me to translate" and "explain brief grammar"...

マイケル

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 1st, 2013 4:24 am

In that case she should have given him translations of the components of the expression, not a complete phrase.

Teabag
Established Presence

Postby Teabag » July 1st, 2013 2:49 pm

cloa513ch2629 wrote:In that case she should have given him translations of the components of the expression, not a complete phrase.

Hi cloa513ch2629,
Your comment here is another form of culture shock for me.
No offense but it sounds a bit harsh.
I believe teachers are here to help us learn and understand a language, not to help us translate anything we post words by words.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 2nd, 2013 7:56 am

cloa513ch2629-san, マイケルsan, Teabag-san,

first of all, thank you very much for kind helps, マイケルsan and Teabag-san! :D

cloa513ch2629-san, it's actually very correct that I gave "translation", not transliteration, on purpose.

JapanesePod101.com is not translation tool; I'm not "online on-demand translator for free".

The original post asked me for translating technical sentences and people have to pay for such translation.
I concluded that it's not JapanesePod101.com's duty, but I'm also here to help J-Pod listeners.
That's why I gave the translation for the first sentence. I didn't explain more than that because I had no idea
why and which part the original poster didn't understand.

When we help in understanding Japanese sentences, we need to know what is bothering the learners
to give spot-on explanations. Basically, if the posters asked question with his/her own translations
and/or specific grammar points/parts they's struggling with, we're very happy to give complete answers.
If someone just post a simple question asking for translation and grammar explanations for entire paragraph,
I can't know what I'm teaching or helping with at all.

If you check other forums and comment boards, you'll find a very long reply from me to the J-Pod listeners
explaining in detail regarding their questions. There are even some translations as well. But please pay attention
to "how they asked" in those threads. J-Pod listeners are very keen to learn.

Hope you'll understand.

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 3rd, 2013 8:34 am

I am not complaining only suggesting that you give parts of the answer so it doesn't sound like you have given a complete translation ie. don't put a full stop and say this is part of the translation.

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » July 3rd, 2013 8:26 pm

cloa513ch2629 wrote:I am not complaining

So what's it like when you are complaining? :mrgreen:

The original post is not a genuine question. It was posted 5 minutes after the poster joined, and it's the poster's only post. It doesn't ask a question and there's no indication of what the poster is having difficulty with. Basically the original question really boils down to this:-

can anybody help me to translate two sentences into English and explain brief grammar for me

Personally, I think Natsuko-san's response was very generous...

マイケル

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 3rd, 2013 11:33 pm

My point was that for any part translation
mmmason8967 wrote:
cloa513ch2629 wrote:I am not complaining

So what's it like when you are complaining? :mrgreen:

The original post is not a genuine question. It was posted 5 minutes after the poster joined, and it's the poster's only post. It doesn't ask a question and there's no indication of what the poster is having difficulty with. Basically the original question really boils down to this:-

Personally, I think Natsuko-san's response was very generous...

マイケル

Your reply is extremely compaining and extremely ungenerous.

cloa513ch2629
Established Presence

Postby cloa513ch2629 » July 3rd, 2013 11:38 pm

Basically its a request that if its not a complete translation for any reply then put it in quotes " " this is a part of the correct translation then readers can try to decipher what's been translated and what's needed to be translated. A complete sentence looks like its all done and you are left wondering if a whole section can really be summarised as that- some Japanese seems to do that.

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » July 4th, 2013 8:15 am

cloa513ch2629 wrote:Your reply is extremely compaining and extremely ungenerous.

I'm mystified. I can't see any kind of complaint in what I wrote. What is it that you think I'm complaining about?

As far as being generous goes, the OP is, in my opinion, pretending to be a student of Japanese in order to get a bit of translation work done free of charge. The choice of reading material is a bit odd, don't you think? I mean, how often have you found yourself browsing articles about effluent discharge and thought "By Jove, this is gripping stuff! I really must get a full and accurate translation"?

マイケル

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » July 5th, 2013 11:53 am

cloa513ch262-san, マイケルsan,

first of all, thank you very much for your kind support, マイケルsan!! :wink:

cloa513ch262-san, I just want to point out that it WAS a complete translation.
Like I wrote, it's not transliteration, but it was a translation; in natural Japanese, we express
things differently from how people do in English.
Some words are necessary in one language and are not mentioned in another.

In my original reply, I didn't just give a translation, but I gave a grammatical explanation
as well telling how the sentence works there, which should be far better than giving
direct word-by-word "translation" into English.

Considering the level of Japanese text (very difficult), I naturally assumed the reader of this kind
of text should have good knowledge of Japanese (otherwise, I was "used" for tranlsation sake only,
without intention of learning, right?).
The best way to explain how grammar works in this sentence was to show step-by-step analysis.

When you posted a question about the word 海, I answered with more literal translation explaining
"how Japanese sentence/expression worked" to say "safe criteria".
(There's no word "safe" in Japanese, by the way.)

The original poster asked for explanation on grammar, which means s/he wanted to know how
to understand the sentence as well. With my help about grammar, transliteration is easily
found out. You did wrote "In that case she should have given him translations of the components of the expression, not a complete phrase." but instead of giving "translation of the components" (which you can check up on dictionary
easily), I gave explanation on how those components work by breaking it down.
Isn't that more helpful?

JapanesePod101.com team is happy to help you learning Japanese, giving tranlsation if you don't
understand some sentences and/or if you tried by yourself too, and/or giving grammar explanation.
So, we do accept your request if you're asking for translation together with grammar exaplanation, but
we also know that translation is merely for understanding what a sentence means, not to understand
completely the Japanese sentence. We sincerely hope you'd understand this point and understand
also that our main support/help is for Japanese learners to understand Japanese sentence as they are eventually.
Translation is a different matter.

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”