a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

ernie's japanese practice blogging

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Re: ernie's japanese practice blogging

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » August 2nd, 2013 3:59 am

sorry about not replying earlier. But thank you for correcting. I still have trouble reading some of the kanji, so I have to use a translator to see what it is in hiragana. But sometimes It may not be accurate. But thank you again. I think I should read back my notes and feedback so I can make less mistakes.
Thank you
Ernie

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » August 2nd, 2013 4:15 am

2013年8月2日 シドニーが来週末!! ヤホオオオオオオオ!!!!
また休みで。でも、ロング週末を4日休みがあります。
それから。幸せですよ。
アニメのコスプライコンベンションにシドニーが行きます。待ってじゃないよ!!!!
たぶん, フォトにポストがしましょう!
じゃ。 しつもんがあります。
誰人のシドニーに来週末にいますか?
会うますか? たぶん?
短くてポストすみません。何を書くかは分からないよ。
じゃあ。このポストはつめらない(笑)
じゃまた
読んでくれてありがとうございます。
アニー

P.S: またこの4日間仕事のやすみ。よし!

Friday 2nd august 2013. SYDNEY NEXT WEEKEND!! WHOOOHOOO!!!
Another Holiday. But It's only a long weekend of 4 days.
Therefore, I'm still happy.
i'm going to Sydney for an Anime cosplay convention. CAN'T WAIT!!
Maybe I'll post photos :)
By the way. I got a question for you all. Anyone in Sydey next weekend?
Let's meet maybe?
Sorry for the short post. didn't know what else to write.
Gee. This post sounds boring hehehe.
See you later
Thanks for reading
Ernie

p.s: 4 days off work again. YES!!!

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » August 4th, 2013 7:10 am

アーニーさん、
if/when you don't understand something I wrote or can't read kanji, please feel free to ask me!
I thought you'd be pretty familiar to kanji and I might have used too much kanji in correction... :oops:

2013年8月2日 シドニーが来週末!! ヤホオオオオオオオ!!!!
Friday 2nd august 2013. SYDNEY NEXT WEEKEND!! WHOOOHOOO!!!
=> I actually didn't quite understadn why it says "next weekend" :?
You mean you're going to Sydney next weekend? If so,
来週末はシドニーです。OR 来週末はシドニーに行きます。

また休みで。でも、ロング週末を4日休みがあります。
それから。幸せですよ。
Another Holiday. But It's only a long weekend of 4 days.
=> また休みです。4日間休日が続く長い週末です。だから嬉しいです。

アニメのコスプライコンベンションにシドニーが行きます。待ってじゃないよ!!!!
=> Ah, this is (somehow) a common mistake for "can't wait". It's 待てません in polite speech and
待てない in casual speech. It's a very convenient and usuful expression, so please remember the correct way :wink:

たぶん, フォトにポストがしましょう!
Maybe I'll post photos
=> たぶん、写真をのせます。

じゃ。 しつもんがあります。
誰人のシドニーに来週末にいますか?会うますか? たぶん?
By the way. I got a question for you all. Anyone in Sydey next weekend?
Let's meet maybe?
=> ところで、みなさんに質問があります。来週末、誰かシドニーにいますか。もしいたら、会いましょうか。
This part needs a bit of twists; the way expressed in English can't be literally translated into Japanese
if you want to sound natural.

短くてポストすみません。何を書くかは分からないよ。
じゃあ。このポストはつめらない(笑)
Sorry for the short post. didn't know what else to write.
=> 短くてすみません。他に何を書いたらいいか分かりません。このコメントはつまらないですね。

One important thing you might want to remember is that keeping the same politeness in your speech
is very important. Your composition has often both polite/formal and casual expressions.
Casual speech is not always welcomed by everyone, and this is another important thing you might want to
remember. There are many people who prefer casual way of speech, but there are also people who feel
"not nice" about it. I think it's a bit like foreiners using crrupt broken slang English :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » August 4th, 2013 11:16 am

Thank you so much for corrections. I took abit to write this post and I think I have done better this time because I was reading my previous post corrections. But I still have trouble. I apprieciate for you taking the time to give me a detailed feedback.

"アーニーさん、
if/when you don't understand something I wrote or can't read kanji, please feel free to ask me!
I thought you'd be pretty familiar to kanji and I might have used too much kanji in correction... "
What can I say about Kanji..... I am going to learn Kanji from scratch this time. However, I don't know where to start. I'm thinking the N5 kanji would be a good place to start. Unless you can point me to a resource for jpod101 members for beginner kanji

[I actually didn't quite understadn why it says "next weekend"
You mean you're going to Sydney next weekend?]
I should've made it more clear/formal and said "Going to Sydney next weekend" or "I will be in Sydney next weekend" but I'm sorry If you didn't get "SYDNEY NEXT WEEKEND" just shortened the phrase

[Another Holiday. But It's only a long weekend of 4 days.
=> また休みです。4日間休日が続く長い週末です。だから嬉しいです。]
続く = This kanji?
4日間休日 = the 日間 I had trouble typing this. But in hiragana would be にちかん? 休日= I know this is holiday but whats this In hiragana?

[アニメのコスプライコンベンションにシドニーが行きます。待ってじゃないよ!!!!
=> Ah, this is (somehow) a common mistake for "can't wait". It's 待てません in polite speech and
待てない in casual speech. It's a very convenient and usuful expression, so please remember the correct way ]
"アニメのコスプライコンベンションにシドニーが行きます" I take it I got this right. YES!!! :D
Because I wrote "CAN'T WAIT!!" in capital. I wrote "待ってじゃないよ" because It sounded like I'm emphisizing this with the "よ" at the end.
待てません= I'll use this from now on.

[Maybe I'll post photos
=> たぶん、写真をのせます。]
写真 = this kanji Is photo. I see
のせます = Never heard of this verb. Is this the accurate translation for "post"? I take it that "ポスト" is not correct?
I use "ポスト" alot though.

[By the way. I got a question for you all. Anyone in Sydey next weekend?
Let's meet maybe?
=> ところで、みなさんに質問があります。来週末、誰かシドニーにいますか。もしいたら、会いましょうか。
This part needs a bit of twists; the way expressed in English can't be literally translated into Japanese
if you want to sound natural.]
With this one. I think I came up with trying to write japanese in english sentence format or tried to write it in the same order as my english. (If that makes sense)
もしいたら= ???
ところで = This must be more accurate for "by the way"
I keep using "じゃ" thinking It can be widely used for things like "well" "by the way" 'So....." or to get someones attention or sometimes I use It instead of saying ”あのおおおおお”
会いましょうか = "ましょう" I keep thinking this is the future tense like for example when I say to myself 'LET'S GO" ==>行きましょう
or when I say "I'm going to study hard"===> 頑張りましょう

[Sorry for the short post. didn't know what else to write.
=> 短くてすみません。他に何を書いたらいいか分かりません。このコメントはつまらないですね。]
他= Never seen this kanji.
コメント= comment?
when I said This post sounds boring hehehe. I meant the entire post/entry.

[One important thing you might want to remember is that keeping the same politeness in your speech
is very important. Your composition has often both polite/formal and casual expressions.
Casual speech is not always welcomed by everyone, and this is another important thing you might want to
remember. There are many people who prefer casual way of speech, but there are also people who feel
"not nice" about it. I think it's a bit like foreiners using crrupt broken slang English}
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like to try and stay formal but most japanese people try to correct me in casual form. I even had some people saying 'why so formal?" As an Australian, We're lazy so speaking in shortcuts and slang is our best friend. So from now on I'll try to stick to being formal and polite as best as I can. My english as well.

I'm so sorry If I questioned your detailed post feedback. Just I felt like I had to explain why I wrote some things that are very incorrect. I just feel like my Japanese Isn't getting any better and I think I should give up. But I woke up today thinking "I can't give up now. I spent too much time to throw it all away. Have to keep studying"
practicing on this forum and learning from this makes me feel like the urge to keep going. I know this post is long I'll stop sorry.

Thank you again. :)
Ernie

Teabag
Established Presence

Postby Teabag » August 4th, 2013 2:49 pm

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:=> また休みです。4日間休日が続く長い週末です。だから嬉しいです。]
続く = This kanji?
4日間休日 = the 日間 I had trouble typing this. But in hiragana would be にちかん? 休日= I know this is holiday but whats this In hiragana?

Hi Ernie,
Please allow me to take part in your post, as I'd like to introduce you to this online dictionary which you might find helpful, at least to some of your questions.
If you copy and paste 続く there, this is the page you'll see. http://goo.gl/GiJbJy

Here's the one for 休日. http://goo.gl/1MTqQ9

"もしいたら= ??? "
Think this is もし(if)+いる(be, exist), conditional use.

I sometimes stop by your post just to see how Natsuko san would correct your writing.
And it's also very helpful for me to learn too.
Hope you will find Weblio helpful.
Happy studies.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » August 5th, 2013 3:46 pm

アーニーさん、

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:What can I say about Kanji..... I am going to learn Kanji from scratch this time. However, I don't know where to start. I'm thinking the N5 kanji would be a good place to start. Unless you can point me to a resource for jpod101 members for beginner kanji 

I think N5 kanji is a great idea to start with! :wink:
We have kanji lessons (video), so if you can check them out and learn with them, it might help you too!

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:[Another Holiday. But It's only a long weekend of 4 days.
=> また休みです。4日間休日が続く長い週末です。だから嬉しいです。]
続く = This kanji?

Oops :oops: Sorry!
「よっかかん きゅうじつ が つづく ながい しゅうまつ です。」
The reading of 日間 actually changes depending on the number, but にちかん is pretty much only when
you ask like "for how many days" which is なんにちかん.... :mrgreen:

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:"アニメのコスプライコンベンションにシドニーが行きます" I take it I got this right. YES!!! :D
Because I wrote "CAN'T WAIT!!" in capital. I wrote "待ってじゃないよ" because It sounded like I'm emphisizing this with the "よ" at the end.
待てません= I'll use this from now on.

Sorry!! I forgot to mention シドニーに part!! But the rest was very good! 8) I'm not very sure about the
best way to put アニメの・・・・ part :?
アニメのコスプレ・インベンションにシドニーに(へ)行きます。
Or, just
アニメのコスプレのイベントに、シドニーに(へ)行きます。
As to emphasising your feelings, here's my recommendation... :mrgreen:
ほんとうに待てません!!!
一秒も待てないくらい楽しみです~~~~!(lit. I'm looking forward to it like I can't wait even one second more)

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:写真 = this kanji Is photo. I see
のせます = Never heard of this verb. Is this the accurate translation for "post"? I take it that "ポスト" is not correct?
I use "ポスト" alot though.

Hmm, I actually thought a lot if I should use the word ポスト here. We can understand it, but
when we use this word ポスト, it's usually the "mailbox". In more natural way in Japanese is either のせます or
とうこうします (as verb). I decided to write the natural way so that you have more choices :wink:

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:
With this one. I think I came up with trying to write japanese in english sentence format or tried to write it in the same order as my english. (If that makes sense)
もしいたら= ???
ところで = This must be more accurate for "by the way"
I keep using "じゃ" thinking It can be widely used for things like "well" "by the way" 'So....." or to get someones attention or sometimes I use It instead of saying ”あのおおおおお”

Of course I understood you completely! :wink:
It's really a matter of "how we say in our languages", and I thought you might want to know the
natural Japanese way.
もしいたら => lit. If (you) are (there)
ところで = by the way
I think we use じゃ in casual conversation, but in sense of "all right then" or "right then", just to change the conversation
or to start new conversation.

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:
短くてすみません。他に何を書いたらいいか分かりません。このコメントはつまらないですね。
他= Never seen this kanji.
コメント= comment?
when I said This post sounds boring hehehe. I meant the entire post/entry.

他 = ほか = other
コメント = comment
Yes, I understood what you meant, so the whole sentence in Japanese literally means
"I don't know what I should write other than those (what I've written). This comment (= this post) is boring, isn't it?"

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:
I like to try and stay formal but most japanese people try to correct me in casual form. I even had some people saying 'why so formal?" As an Australian, We're lazy so speaking in shortcuts and slang is our best friend. So from now on I'll try to stick to being formal and polite as best as I can. My english as well.

Brilliant! :D Well, (Japanese) people who don't understand the way foreign learners of Japanese
often give such comments like "why are you so formal?" but that's just a lack of respect.
One of the biggest problems we have now in Japan is actually young people soon use casual speech to
people who they even know well. That was not the right way and if any young people (Japanese) speak to me
in casual speech, I'd probably ignore them or wouldn't do any favour. Respect is a great deal in Japan and
they don't respect others; it's their loss and they need to learn that.
As a result of "not learning proper formal Japanese", there are many Japanese who cannot use polite expressions
called "keigo". They have no idea how rude they can be when they mis-use "keigo" actually.
So, please be careful with those "native" Japanese who says something different from your textbooks
or J-Pod team :wink:

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:
I'm so sorry If I questioned your detailed post feedback. Just I felt like I had to explain why I wrote some things that are very incorrect. I just feel like my Japanese Isn't getting any better and I think I should give up. But I woke up today thinking "I can't give up now. I spent too much time to throw it all away. Have to keep studying"
practicing on this forum and learning from this makes me feel like the urge to keep going. I know this post is long I'll stop sorry.

ABSOLUTELY NO need to be sorry!!
On the contrary, I'm happy to know that you've been through my long feedbacks and tried to learn from it :wink:
We're here to help you, so when you want to understand something from our comments, that can never bother us! :D
Personally, you're doing great to write your diary-like story in Japanese, which shouldn't be too easy.
So, taking my time to answer to keen learners like you is my pleasure and, if you're happy with my feedback,
there's no better appreciation I could feel :kokoro:

Hope we can continue helping you and encouraging you to study Japanese!

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

elvabeby9745
New in Town

Postby elvabeby9745 » September 6th, 2013 9:34 am

Thank you.

team.relationships
Expert on Something

Postby team.relationships » October 4th, 2013 5:37 am

elvabeby9745-san,
you're very welcome! :wink:

Team JapanesePod101.com

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » October 13th, 2013 2:17 pm

皆さんこんにちは
お久しぶり。 お元気ですか?
勉強はどうですか?
コッメンとはほしいが書く気がわいてきません。
I don't think I know enough Japanese to talk about a subject.. 
それから、ダイリポストが書けます。
毎日は勉強が行きたいしました。
頑張ってと勉強がいきましょう!!
読んでくれてありがとうございます!!
アーニ :)

Hello everyone
It's been a long time. How are you all?
How is your studies going?
I've been wanting to post but I don't know what to write..
I don't think I know enough Japanese to talk about a subject..
So I'll just keep writing diary posts
I hope to study everyday from now on.
Good luck to all and I hope we all study together
Thanks for reading
Ernie :)

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » October 20th, 2013 11:55 am

日曜日20日10月2013年
2週末前に書きました。
カンス剣道カップ6日10月2013年にしました。
今年、私のどじょはたいかいがおつかれさまでした。
僕は一番にきりかえしと一番にチムヂビションありました。
うれしいが。私の練習はおつかれさままでした。
でも。夏レイヂングとセミナアーが練習。頑張ります。
一球。 行きます!!
読んでくれてありがとうございます。
アニー

Sunday 20 October, 2013:
Writing from 2 weeks ago.
The Cairns Kendo Cup was held on 6th october, 2013.
This year, my Dojo did very well in the competition. I claimed 1st place in kirikaeshi competion and 1st place in team division.
I was very glad because because my training paid off very well.
But, I have to train for the summer grading and seminar. There I must keep training.
ikkyu. HERE I COME!!! LETS DO THIS!!
Thanks for reading.
Ernie

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » October 21st, 2013 11:23 am

アーニーさん、
お久しぶりですね :D

chonnyfonny696924 wrote:コッメンとはほしいが書く気がわいてきません。

「コメントはほしいけど、書く気がしない」 :lol: :lol:
なんか分かる気がします :mrgreen: (= I think I know what you mean...)
Please find the corrections below:
それから、ダイリポストが書けます。(So I'll just keep writing diary posts)
=>なので、ダイアリーを書きます。
We can use both ダイアリー and 日記 to say "diary". :wink:

毎日は勉強が行きたいしました。(I hope to study everyday from now on.)
=> これからは、毎日勉強したいと思います。

頑張ってと勉強がいきましょう!!(Good luck to all and I hope we all study together)
=> みなさんも頑張って。一緒に勉強しましょう。

All those sentences require a bit of "twists" to sound natural in Japanese.
So, please feel free to ask any question if you don't understand why I changed like those :D

And from the next post...
日曜日20日10月2013年
=> We write dates in the opposite order: 2013年10月20日(日曜日)

2週末前に書きました。(Writing from 2 weeks ago.)
=> 2週間前のことから書きます。

カンス剣道カップ6日10月2013年にしました。(The Cairns Kendo Cup was held on 6th october, 2013.)
=> Close!! 2013年10月6日に、カンス剣道カップがありました。

今年、私のどじょはたいかいがおつかれさまでした。(This year, my Dojo did very well in the competition.)
=> 今年、私の道場(どうじょう)は、とてもがんばりました。OR 今年、私の道場は、とてもよい成績をのこしました。

僕は一番にきりかえしと一番にチムヂビションありました。(I claimed 1st place in kirikaeshi competion and 1st place in team division.)
=> 私は、きりかえしと、団体戦(= team division)で1位になりました。

うれしいが。私の練習はおつかれさままでした。(I was very glad because my training paid off very well.)
=> 練習と努力がむくわれたので(OR 練習した成果が出たので)、とてもうれしかったです。

でも。夏レイヂングとセミナアーが練習。頑張ります。
(But, I have to train for the summer grading and seminar. There I must keep training.)
=> でも、夏のグレーディングと、セミナーのために練習しなければなりません。がんばります。

一球。 行きます!!(ikkyu. HERE I COME!!! LETS DO THIS!!)
=> I'm not too sure what the best for this line, but 一球 means "one ball" and kendo doesn't involve any ball.
So, 一球 is not the appropriate expression here. 行きます should be okay.

I've got some advice after reading your posts.
1. うれしいが。
You don't stop the sentence with が unless there's a good reason. Also, please revise my corrected version
because you'll find the usage and sentence composition is now very different.

2. でも。
Again, this word でも is not to stop there. This comes at the beginning of the sentence, and the sentence
continues.

3. おつかれさま
I think you've misunderstood the usage of this expression. This expression is not very easy to understand.
Please refer to many examples and explanations before you actually use it.
It's not for describing about yourself.

4. ・・・が練習。
練習します is a basic verb which is a transitive verb. Please revise the transitive verbs and particles.

Trying a long composition and practice your Japanese is a great way to brush up and learn from.
You can see a lot from there: what you have to study and/or review (and this is the most important part).
Please take some time to review and go back to the basic practices making sure about grammar rules
before moving on.

By the way, "grading" (グレーディング) could be 昇段試験 or 昇段審査...

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » October 21st, 2013 12:15 pm

I'll keep this short. I will ask alot of Questions later.
Thanks again for correcting my blogs again and again. Even though they are very very bad and needs alot of improvement.
So I did look at your advice I think I will go back to reviewing the grammar rules/basics, verbs and particles. So maybe the grammar video beginner series might be a good start. Unless theres others or something better you can direct me to.
Thanks again much apprieciated. I learn the most by writing these blogs. I just realized I don't want to write write a million blogs and make the same mistakes over and over again. Otherwise I'll think I'm wasting your time by telling me over and over again.
Thanks
Ernie

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » October 25th, 2013 3:24 pm

Ernie-san,
you're always very welcome!! :D
I just hope I didn't give you any wrong idea about trying out your Japanese skills here...

As I said, practicing and trying to write something in Japanese is a great idea and
I do respect your effort! It was just in term of learning and making your study more efficient
and I thought I'd probably need to add extra line. Hope you will continue your "output" practice
as well. Besides, even if you think your blog has a lot of mistakes, it's your own composition,
not like a composition where Google Translate speaking :mrgreen:
We're happy to help you correct and improve your skills in Japanese!

Please take enough time and also continue your best effort using this free space! :wink:

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

chonnyfonny696924
Established Presence

Postby chonnyfonny696924 » November 3rd, 2013 12:25 pm

2013年11月3日日曜日

皆さんこんにちは。週末はどうですか?
OR
皆さん。週末はどうですか?
私の週末はつめりないがしました。
でも、来週末はがんばります。
金曜日は仕事でわありませんでした。でも、土曜日は仕事がありました。
来月は私の誕生日後でがなります。
時間にとてもはやいですね。
私は何歳がなりますか?
25歳ですか? そうあります。
あ。。ちょっと待って。25ですか? それでわむりです。
時間にほんとにはやいでした。私は古いがなります。
よんでくれてありがとうございます
寝るの時間
アーニー

Sunday 3 November, 2013
hello everyone. How was your weekend?
My weekend was boring.
But I hope next weekend will be good.
On friday there was no work. Instead, there was work on saturday.
My birthday will be next month.
Time goes fast doesn't it?
How old will I be?
25 years old? Yep, thats right
ummm.... Wait... 25? no way that impossible!!
Time does really go fast. I'm getting old...
Thanks for reading
Time to sleep
Ernie

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » November 3rd, 2013 11:27 pm

アーニーさん、こんにちは。

It's a bit late here so I'll just pick out one line. Seeing as how you're complaining about being 25 next month, and I'm going to be 58 next week (and consequently don't feel a lot of sympathy :wink:), I chose this one:-

時間にほんとにはやいでした。私は古いがなります。

I think the particle after 時間 should be は, not に, because 時間 is the topic.

はやいでした should be はやかったです.

古い is an adjective so I don't think it can be a predicate: instead of 古いがなります I think it should be 古くなります. However, I think 古い only applies to buildings and things like that--not to people--so it's a moot point anyway. I'm not sure what the correct adjective for 'old' with people is. But I think you'd probably should say something like 親父がなります (おやじがなります) or 年老いていあます (としおいています)。

マイケル

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”