a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Help checking grammar

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

minty247_
Been Around a Bit

Help checking grammar

Postby minty247_ » November 19th, 2008 12:19 am

Hi everyone~ I'm looking to audition for Avex, and it was required that a self introduction URL was made. so I made one. I used informal japanese in the entry, should I have used formal instead? Is my grammar correct in this situation?

http://minty247.livejournal.com/2008/09/08

Also, we had to post a self introduction video, I've written my draft. Any opinions and criticism will be very much appreciated.

Avex の皆様、初めまして、私はMinno、 日本語での通称は明美です。 平成一年七月二十四日生まれです。 よろしくお願いします。 私はベトナム人ですけれど、五歳の時に家族とマカオにお引越(ひっこ)ししました。 そして、十六歳の時、私はイギリスでお勉強をしに行きました。 だから中国語と英語ができます。 日本語はまだ勉強しているので、あまり上手ないです。 
今回エイベックス・オーディションを受けた理由は単純な理由なのです:私は歌うことが大好きです。 高校に通っていたとき、浜崎 あゆみさんのA Museum concert DVDをお友達の家で見ました。 最初は「うわ~~ 綺麗な人だね~ 声も美しいな~」しか思っていませんでした。 けれど、家に帰って浜崎さんの英語に訳してあった歌詞を見たら、歌詞の強さにびっくりしました。日本と日本の音楽に興味を持つことになりました。 お友達からCDを借り、歌詞を読みながら浜崎さんの曲をもっと聴きました。 浜崎さんの感情が曲から伝わってきました。 そのとき、自分の感情を曲で伝えられることはすごいことだと思いました。 私はいつかそうなりたいのです。 浜崎さんみたいになって、自分の想いを皆に伝えたいんです。 世界とそういう瞬間を一緒に感じたいのです。 これが私の夢になりました。 私は歌手になりたいのです。 それが私の単の願いなのです。 ありがとうございました。

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » November 19th, 2008 1:33 am

Your Japanese is probably better than mine, so I won't suggest any changes. It reads pretty well to me; the only outright mistake I noticed was 上手ないです > 上手ではないです. If you're lucky, hatch_jp or someone will turn up and spruce it up a bit.

The thank you at the end, though, is that like 'thank you for your consideration'? I'm pretty sure that whenever you're requesting something you sign off with よろしくお願いします. Sort of like '(I've said my piece, so now) I leave it with you in kind regard'. Depends what you're trying to say though.

I'm just happy I could read all of that, even the brutal use of 綺麗 :P

Get 40% OFF
minty247_
Been Around a Bit

Postby minty247_ » November 19th, 2008 9:41 am

ah~ sorry, by 上手 i meant うまい、 and not じょうず。
so it should be うまくないです?

WalterWills
Expert on Something

Postby WalterWills » November 19th, 2008 1:21 pm

I think:
私はイギリスでお勉強をしに行きました。

Should be:

私はイギリス勉強をしに行きました。

or イギリスへ

I don't think you need the お before 勉強 because you're talking about your own studies.

saichee
New in Town

Postby saichee » November 19th, 2008 3:14 pm

私はベトナム人ですけれど、(informal)--->ですが、(formal)
お引越(ひっこ)ししました。--->引越ししました。(not use "お" for your action)
お勉強をしに行きました。 ----->勉強しに行きました。(not use "お" for your action)
だから、中国語と英語(informal)--->ですから、中国語と英語(formal)

単純な(slightly sounds negative in this case)--->シンプルな
理由なのです。---->理由です。
綺麗な人だね~ 声も美しいな("ね" is used when you feel sympathy to others, in this case, you talk to yourself. So,” な” sounds better, I think.~---->綺麗な人だな~、声も
」しか思っていませんでした。(used when you have that idea for a long time)---->としか思いませんでした。(used when the idea comes at that point.)
けれど、家に帰って(informal)----> ですが、家に帰って(formal)
興味を持つことになりました。 ----> 興味を持つようになりました。
お友達からCDを借り、---->友達からCDを借りて、("Verb+て”represent a reason. You can omit "Te" but, if you compete the sentence by using "Te" sounds better.)
You do not have to say "O- tomodachi" in this situation.
私はいつかそうなりたいのです。 --->私もいつかそうなりたいです。(It gives more direct & strong impression that you really want to be. So, in this case, I would not use "のです。" but "です".)
私は歌手になりたいのです。 --->私は歌手になりたいです。(It gives more direct & strong impression that you really want to be.)
それが私の単の願いなのです。------>それが私の唯(ただ)一(ひと)つの願いです。
ありがとうございました。------->以上(いじょう)です。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

minty247_
Been Around a Bit

Postby minty247_ » November 19th, 2008 9:10 pm

Thank you so much for your input everyone!!
I learnt so much from them!! japanese really is such a hard language...
How about the site?

I had these sentences written in them:
えーーと。私はAvex Auditionを参加しようと思ったから、このポーストを作っていた。
歌とビデオと自分の歌詞をここでポーストするよ~
みんな~楽しいんでください~

Final と Days は私が英語で書いたんだけど、友達の人が日本語に訳したんだ。

would 英語で作詞をしたんだけど be better?
I've used informal there, would formal be better?
my informal japanese is still quite.... bleh... :P
Once again, thanks guys!!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » November 19th, 2008 10:13 pm

WalterWills wrote:I don't think you need the お before 勉強 because you're talking about your own studies.

saichee wrote:お引越(ひっこ)ししました。--->引越ししました。(not use "お" for your action)
お勉強をしに行きました。 ----->勉強しに行きました。(not use "お" for your action

Are you G's sure about this? I'm not much on 敬語, but I'm aware of the humble (謙譲語) formation お-ますstem+する/いたす:

私がお荷物をお持ちいたしますぅ。
お待ちしております。

I don't know how appropriate it is in the context of the original post, but I don't think it's an error.

minty247_ wrote:楽しいんでください

Final と Days は私が英語で書いたんだけど、友達の人が日本語に訳したんだ。

would 英語で作詞をしたんだけど be better?
I've used informal there, would formal be better?

楽しいんでください
You've got an extra い in here. The correct form is 楽しんで, but it's easy to mix up these verb/adjective stems.

I'd probably write your sentence like this, but again I'm no expert:

「Final」と「Days」は私が英語で作詞したけど、友達に日本語に訳してもらったんだ。
てもらった here means 'I got (my friend) to...', so the sentence would translate 'I (am the one who) wrote the lyrics to Final and Days in English, but I got my friend to translate them into Japanese.

minty247_
Been Around a Bit

Postby minty247_ » November 24th, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks guys!!

I'm going to be submitting this hopefully by the end of this week~!
thank you for all your comments and corrections!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » November 24th, 2008 8:42 pm

Javizy wrote:Are you G's sure about this? I'm not much on 敬語, but I'm aware of the humble (謙譲語) formation お-ますstem+する/いたす:

私がお荷物をお持ちいたしますぅ。
お待ちしております。

I don't know how appropriate it is in the context of the original post, but I don't think it's an error.

It's a matter of usage. When I learned these forms, I was instructed that you only use such honorifics when the action that you are doing implies usage or involvement of the party with whom you are speaking. In the example above where you're talking about someone's 荷物, since it belongs to someone else and you are taking it as an honor to carry it, you use a humble form. In contrast, studying doesn't involve a second party, so there's no need to change forms.

That's my understanding.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

minty247_
Been Around a Bit

Postby minty247_ » February 17th, 2009 11:06 am

Hi guys, I need help again~ :P

Can someone please check my grammar in the About Me section on my myspace?

http://www.myspace.com/akemi247

minty247_
Been Around a Bit

Postby minty247_ » February 19th, 2009 12:34 pm

Here's the text

皆さん、初めまして~ 明美です。

私はベトナム人ですけど、小さな頃から家族とマカオに引っ越して、そこで育ちました。ですから、私はベトナム語と、英語と、広東語と、北京語ができます。日本語は今はまだ勉強中なので、まだ日本人みたいに話せないです。

私の夢はJpop歌手になることです。歌で皆に気持ちを伝えたいんです。

私の憧れていたの歌手達は浜崎あゆみさんと山田涼介さん(Hey!Say!JUMP)です。

歌詞は、私にとって、とても大事な物です。歌詞は、人々の心が繋ぐ事ができると思います。もし歌の歌詞よく書いているならば、聞いているの人々が感動させる事ができると思います。私はいつか皆に自分の気持ちを伝わるのために自分の歌詞を書きます。

私は今まだ作曲の事が出来ません。オリジナルソングはまだ無いんですけど、私は http://www.soundclick.com/Akemi と http://www.sekainomelody.com でカバー曲をポストしました。皆さん、是非、聞いてくださいね~! 

Since it's just a blog kind of thing, it doesn't really have to be polite.. i guess.
Thanks in advance!!!

GiaAnaniah
New in Town

Re: Help checking grammar

Postby GiaAnaniah » September 18th, 2009 8:05 am

AAHH!!! omg i love Avex!!.
sorry i just had to say that >.<
well goodluck anyway :))

minty247_ wrote:Hi everyone~ I'm looking to audition for Avex, and it was required that a self introduction URL was made. so I made one. I used informal japanese in the entry, should I have used formal instead? Is my grammar correct in this situation?

http://minty247.livejournal.com/2008/09/08

Also, we had to post a self introduction video, I've written my draft. Any opinions and criticism will be very much appreciated.

Avex の皆様、初めまして、私はMinno、 日本語での通称は明美です。 平成一年七月二十四日生まれです。 よろしくお願いします。 私はベトナム人ですけれど、五歳の時に家族とマカオにお引越(ひっこ)ししました。 そして、十六歳の時、私はイギリスでお勉強をしに行きました。 だから中国語と英語ができます。 日本語はまだ勉強しているので、あまり上手ないです。 
今回エイベックス・オーディションを受けた理由は単純な理由なのです:私は歌うことが大好きです。 高校に通っていたとき、浜崎 あゆみさんのA Museum concert DVDをお友達の家で見ました。 最初は「うわ~~ 綺麗な人だね~ 声も美しいな~」しか思っていませんでした。 けれど、家に帰って浜崎さんの英語に訳してあった歌詞を見たら、歌詞の強さにびっくりしました。日本と日本の音楽に興味を持つことになりました。 お友達からCDを借り、歌詞を読みながら浜崎さんの曲をもっと聴きました。 浜崎さんの感情が曲から伝わってきました。 そのとき、自分の感情を曲で伝えられることはすごいことだと思いました。 私はいつかそうなりたいのです。 浜崎さんみたいになって、自分の想いを皆に伝えたいんです。 世界とそういう瞬間を一緒に感じたいのです。 これが私の夢になりました。 私は歌手になりたいのです。 それが私の単の願いなのです。 ありがとうございました。

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”