Or sign up using Facebook

Kore vs kono

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

osurveys
New in Town

Kore vs kono

Postby osurveys » December 9th, 2006 3:20 am

Hey Mina-san,

What is the difference between kore, sore, and are compared to kono, sono, and ano? Both mean this, that, and that (over there) respectively. I guess the placement of the words in a sentence differ, but then, how do you know which one to use? Does it matter?

And while I'm on a roll here, I've got another question. This one is about -kute. The grammar point says, "When you combine two or more adjectives, and the preceding adjective is an i-adjecive (an adjective that ends with an i, the i becomes kute."

eg. omoshiroi + kawaii= omoshirokute kawaii

The grammar point goes on to say there are irregular ones too. If the adjective ends in ii, then it should be conjugated using yoi.

eg. kakkoii becomes kakko yokute

So why doesn't kawaii become kawa yokute? (In the beginner lesson 22 Sakura says," Imouto-wa kawaii kute omoshiroi desu".

Thanks everyone. Sorry this is all in romaji. I haven't figured out how everyone types in kana and kanji here. (Shoot. Yet another question....) :wink:

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 9th, 2006 3:42 am

You use この、その、あの as adjectives.... so they need to be in front of a noun.
i.e. This pencil is blue. このえんぴつはあおいです.

Use これ、それ、あれ when you want to say This is a pencil. これはえんぴつです。
or, what is this? これはなんですか?

as for the adjective question, i haven't listened to the lesson so i'm not sure, but maybe they were talking about the adjective いい which means good. when you combine that with other adjectives it's changed to よい so よくて

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Kore vs kono

Postby Bueller_007 » December 9th, 2006 7:32 am

かわいい=可愛い=one word. The adjective "いい" appears nowhere in かわいい.

かっこういい=格好いい=格好がいい (shortened). いい is not a part of this adjective, it's being used as a standalone adjective describing 格好 (かっこう), which means "appearance".

And いい isn't really an irregular adjective anyway. いい is just a simplified version of よい. So it has no inflection patterns of its own, and you have to use よい's.

osurveys
New in Town

Postby osurveys » December 11th, 2006 8:20 pm

Thanks for responding. I understand now. :)

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 12th, 2006 12:09 am

osurveys wrote:Thanks for responding. I understand now. :)

No problem.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”