a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

qestion about the 'n' sound

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

samuraidragon
New in Town

qestion about the 'n' sound

Postby samuraidragon » September 17th, 2006 1:43 pm

in spoken japanese is there almost a slight ng sound when pronouncing 'n'? i noticed in the podcasts, when amerika-jin was said, it sounded a little bit like amerika-jing.

also, when you write 'san' (as in mr.) is it written in kanji or hirigana? what about for a foreigner?

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » September 17th, 2006 7:03 pm

question #1
in japanese the n is phonetic, so the jin sounds like jing because of the ji.

like in san, when you say san, the n is pronounced as "en". however in english this is written as "n" because there are different "n" sounds.

for example: ke is written as "ke" because that's what け sounds like. and ん is written in english as "n" because it sounds different depending on the use (san, jin)

the single letter "n" cannot be pronounced without putting it next to a vowel (an, en, on, in,un)
question #2
from what I know,

things like san, kun, chan and such are written in Hiragana. I think this is because there are no chinese characters for these phrases

the same goes for wo, wa, desu, e.t.c.

I hope my rambling was useful :D

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » September 18th, 2006 3:14 am

You'll definitely sometimes hear the ん sound as a nasal sound. I especially hear it on the news.

I asked my Japanese teacher once and he said older people say it that way a lot but more and more younger Japanese are dropping it and just saying like an "n."
AKA パンク野郎

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » September 18th, 2006 2:19 pm

Yes, people in certain regions pronounce it as a nasal "ng" sounds in certain contexts. It's definitely a different accent compared to "n".

samuraidragon
New in Town

Postby samuraidragon » September 19th, 2006 8:52 pm

cool. thanks.

tintinium
Been Around a Bit

Postby tintinium » September 20th, 2006 4:16 pm

Interestingly, が can also sound like nga.

行きたいんですが。 can sound like ikitain dess nga.

If you're familiar with the vietnamese ng sound (now THAT's a difficult language to pronounce!!!) in Nguyen you can easily mimic the ng sound... which is easy in comparison. Tryin BEGINNING the word with the "ng" in sing... go ahead... try it now... it's difficult to get the hang of.

penguinguin
New in Town

Postby penguinguin » September 24th, 2006 10:19 am

kun is written as 君

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”