a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

私共 と 私達 どう 違いますか?and more

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mikuji
Established Presence

私共 と 私達 どう 違いますか?and more

Postby mikuji » August 25th, 2006 8:44 am

I have noticed in the lessons (notably Have you been to Morioka? and Weekend Barbeque?) that both 共 (tomo) and 達 (tachi) are used to make a plural for personal pronouns.

I also came across 我々(wareware) and 我ら (warera) for the word 'us' alhough these may be more arcaic in use.

Am I right in interpreting tomo='both of' and tachi='all of' when referred to 'us'?

Do I always have to use the plural when talking about people?

I note in your very early lessons (1-4) plurals are given for you (anatatachi), he= 彼ら and she= 彼女ら too, but I rarely here these in normal conversation.

Can you give me a more comprehensive summary of how these are used?

Thank you

mikuji

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: 私共 と 私達 どう 違いますか?and m

Postby Jason » August 25th, 2006 4:48 pm

mikuji wrote:I also came across 我々(wareware) and 我ら (warera) for the word 'us' alhough these may be more arcaic in use.

They're not completely archaic. They are more reserved for "official" use now, and you wouldn't hear many people using them in everyday conversation.

mikuji wrote:Am I right in interpreting tomo='both of' and tachi='all of' when referred to 'us'?

Not quite. 共 can refer to more than 2 people. For example, when refering to your own company to a client, you would likely use 私共. And 達 is just a plural suffix. It doesn't necessarily mean "all of." 共 is also a humble form of "together" as in お供する (to accompany, go together with). 共 is more polite than 達.

mikuji wrote:Do I always have to use the plural when talking about people?

It's usually a good idea to. The only time I can think of you probably wouldn't is when you're taking about an entire group. Like 人, 男, 女, (country)人, etc.

mikuji wrote:I note in your very early lessons (1-4) plurals are given for you (anatatachi), he= 彼ら and she= 彼女ら too, but I rarely here these in normal conversation.

I hear 彼ら a good bit. Not so much 彼女ら though.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
mikuji
Established Presence

Postby mikuji » August 27th, 2006 10:10 am

Jasonさん  

ありがとう ございます

教えていただけたらありがたい。
共とか達とか,いつも[います]ようして物はと言えばもういいですか? 

Do I always use these plural forms for all subjects that would take います?

よろしくお願いします

mikuji

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » August 27th, 2006 3:21 pm

mikuji wrote:Do I always use these plural forms for all subjects that would take います?

Yes, except for what I mentioned about when you talk about entire groups. I don't think you'd normally attach it to ある subjects.

Oh, and be careful with 共. I dont' think you can attach it freely to most anything you want like with 達.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”