Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Easy reading / hearing / viewing? Kids stuff?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

caoch
New in Town

Easy reading / hearing / viewing? Kids stuff?

Postby caoch » July 6th, 2006 9:36 pm

Hey, all.

I've been studying Japanese for a few months now. For the first couple months, it's been mostly casual stuff and learning my kana, but lately I've been really getting into it, largely because I find myself understanding more and more.

I have to study alone, though, and I think I'm still at too basic a level for me to seek out conversation or email partners. I tend to be someone who learns faster when it's in an integrative format, so I thought it might be neat to try and seek out some super-easy reading material, video, etc.

So, I'm wondering if anyone on here could recommend some good material for me. Kids books, Japanese "Sesame Street", Japanese language games with a fairly thin amount of grammar...that sort of thing?

Or, if I'm just barking up the wrong tree, I'd love to know, too.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » July 7th, 2006 4:16 am

Though I've never used them myself, I know there are tons of children's books out there. My classmates used to have some. Shimizu-sensei once played a tape of what was essentially a Japanese Sesame Street (it had the Adjective Ninja. They were awesome :mrgreen:). Though unfortunately I don't remember the name of it. It was mentioned in one of the culture classes here a while back though. It's the one with the counters song. I'm sure Sakura-san could tell you. Unfortunately, I don't know of any games.

Episodes of a learning Japanese show that NHK did a while back were floating around bittorrent for a while. It's been a while though, so they may be hard to track down. Though they're geared a bit more towards business people, they're still pretty good. If you don't mind that the main guy is supposed to be from America but has an English accent.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 7th, 2006 4:34 am

Jason wrote:Episodes of a learning Japanese show that NHK did a while back were floating around bittorrent for a while. It's been a while though, so they may be hard to track down. Though they're geared a bit more towards business people, they're still pretty good. If you don't mind that the main guy is supposed to be from America but has an English accent.

You'd be shocked how muddled people's accents get after a few years of living in Japan teaching English. Americans pick up weird-ass Australian idioms and Australians pick up American pronunciation.

Jason

Postby Jason » July 7th, 2006 4:50 am

Bueller_007 wrote:You'd be shocked how muddled people's accents get after a few years of living in Japan teaching English. Americans pick up weird-ass Australian idioms and Australians pick up American pronunciation.

Haha! The thing is this guy is supposed to be totally new to Japan, having just been transfered or something by his company. It's just kinda funny to hear him say, [British accent]Hi! I'm from America.[/BA]
Jason

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 7th, 2006 5:02 am

Jason wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:You'd be shocked how muddled people's accents get after a few years of living in Japan teaching English. Americans pick up weird-ass Australian idioms and Australians pick up American pronunciation.

Haha! The thing is this guy is supposed to be totally new to Japan, having just been transfered or something by his company. It's just kinda funny to hear him say, [British accent]Hi! I'm from America.[/BA]

Damn Bramericans...

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, there's an NHK "Learn English" program called 百語でスタート英会話 or something. The guy who hosts it, "George", is a total knob. And he's TOTALLY got an American/Canadian accent, but he claims to be from Australia.

Of course, he could just be lying like your Bramerican guy.

Jason

Postby Jason » July 7th, 2006 5:25 am

Well, in the storyline he's from America.
Jason

caoch
New in Town

Postby caoch » July 7th, 2006 6:14 pm

Jason wrote:If you don't mind that the main guy is supposed to be from America but has an English accent.

Hah. A friend of mine was once on a Japanese TV program similar to "Ripley's Believe It Or Not". The production team came over to America to do a shoot, and her boyfriend asked to not be in the shoot, so one of my other friends pretended to be him on camera.

Back in Tokyo, the producers decided the guy playing her boyfriend wouldn't go over well with audiences, so they flew her over to re-shoot all the scenes with an Australian actor playing him. Japanese viewers saw an Australian actor playing my friend playing her boyfriend.

mikuji
Established Presence

Postby mikuji » August 10th, 2006 12:31 pm

There is a good site from Do.Co.Mo where you can read Japanese Legends aimed at children readers some with voice reading over.

You can find it at:

http://www.digital-lib.nttdocomo.co.jp/ ... index.html

Also consider using the rikai.com and other furigana facilities so any site can be turned into a kana reading site.

Children books, normally called 'ehon' (picture books) are also very nice but frightfully expensive so the web remains the best bet. I am sure there are also sites aimed at children out there.

Good luck

mikuji

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 11th, 2006 10:02 am

日本語のむかしはなし is a very good looking site. Thanks Mikuji-san.

This site also has Japanese childrens stories.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Gaien/7211/
Not as pretty as mukashihanashi but there are English versions of the stories which can give you the sense of the story. Therefore you may be able to read the Japanese in a more natural manner instead of looking up every other word in a dictionary.
Also because it's html text not Flash animation you can use resources such as Rikai to help you out... or just increase the font display size for easier reading... or copy and paste the text to elsewhere.

JohnCBriggs
Expert on Something

NHK videos

Postby JohnCBriggs » August 11th, 2006 2:56 pm

Caoch-san,
I have been studying on my own for a couple of years. I have purchased a number of children's books thinking that these would be good study materials. My experience was not very good. Firstly, there tends to be a lot of vocabulary たんご that is not familiar because most textbooks don't cover words like ogre and princess. Secondly, the grammar can be very different than textbooks. It is very casual or old forms of verbs.
I even purchased some bilingual childrens' books, but these were not much better. The translations were beautifully done, but I think we need more of a literal translation to understand the language.
Someone suggested to me to get some nontan (a cat) or anpanman (a character made from bread) books, but I have not really pursued this.

Regarding video materials, these can be a real challenge too. I purchased kodomo no omocha (child's toy) and found that the characters talk way too fast with high pitched emotion filled voices. So that didn't work. I also have purchased Doraemon どらえもん from ebay. This is a little easier to understand. I really like My Neighbor Totoro となりのトトロ because there is very little dialogue and it is simple. Most of these material can be purchased from ebay (Hong-Kong copy) for reasonable prices.

NHK has produced a great many Japanese Language educational materials over the years. This is some of the best material available. For example
Let's Learn Japanese
Getting along in Japanese
The All new getting along in Japanese (intermediate all japanese)
(This is currently broadcasting in Japan)
Standard Japanese Course (all japanese but fairly easy).
Japanese for Beginners
Also worth considering is the Videos that go along with Japanese For Busy People. These are the finest quality you can find. If you are interested in any of these materials, let me know.
At the risk of being censored by JapanesePOD101, I would like to also note a site called YesJapan. They have a number of videos (perhaps 100) that they have produced. These are fair to good quality and can be quite entertaining. However, they are of a lower quality than JapanesePOD101. I think there is one that can be watched for free and it will give you a sense of the shows.

There is a great amount of video material available, but it can be difficult or expensive to get a hold of. By the way, if you have not tried Pimsleur, I highly recommend it. This is clearly the best audio material available (sorry Peter) although much more dry than JapanesePOD101. Pimsleur has carefully controlled timing that reminds you of words before you can forget them. These can be borrowed from a library or contact me for more info.
Jya mata
ジョン

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”