Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Translation Thread

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » July 8th, 2006 12:00 am

ん〜。「気づく」の意味は、「pay attention」とちょっと違うと思う。こんな風に使えるかどうか私にはよくわからん。「to come to realize, notice」という感じ。
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 8th, 2006 5:24 am

Brody wrote:うん、分かった。

さらに問題があるよ。 この文ははっきり理解できない。「いや、いいんだ。気にしないで。それを気付かずに料理したパパも同じだから。」

文脈は ぱぱが新しいレシピを作ろうとすると、失敗した。違い材料を買ちゃったから。パパは息子に謝ると、息子が前記を言った。

英語では、多分"No, it's okay, don't worry about it. It's like you to not pay attention when you're cooking."という意味だろう。 

ね?

ありがとう!

Personally, I would say:
いや、いいんだ。気にしないで。それを気付かずに料理したパパも同じだから。
No, it's okay. Don't worry about it. Because you, having inadvertently cooked up this slop for dinner, have to eat it too.

--EDIT--
I don't think you've got your roles right. I Googled for the phrase and found the original context. They bought the ingredients separately. The boy made the mistake of buying lettuce instead of cabbage. And the father cooked it. Although I can't be sure, it looks like the BOY is apologizing to the father (for buying the wrong ingredients.) So:

No, it's okay. Don't worry about it. Because I cooked it up without noticing [that is was lettuce instead of cabbage] either.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
KeithH
Been Around a Bit

Postby KeithH » July 8th, 2006 12:48 pm

Could someone please translate 「一面もある」 for me? I've seen this construction a few times but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » July 8th, 2006 5:16 pm

Keith, I've never seen that before, so the most I can give you is an educated guess.
一面 means "side" or "aspect" or "facet." も means "also," and ある basically means "is/are." So together, it would be something like, "there is also the aspect of..."

I looked at some sites that had this on it and it seems to make sense. They were either presenting additional information or making a contrast. Post the context you found it in if you want, and I could help you expound on it more.

--EDIT--
I don't think you've got your roles right. I Googled for the phrase and found the original context. They bought the ingredients separately. The boy made the mistake of buying lettuce instead of cabbage. And the father cooked it. Although I can't be sure, it looks like the BOY is apologizing to the father (for buying the wrong ingredients.) So:

No, it's okay. Don't worry about it. Because I cooked it up without noticing [that is was lettuce instead of cabbage] either.

Once again, Jason-san and Bueller-san, I am indebted to you both for your invaluable help.

I'm pretty sure I have the roles right. The father is always apologizing to the son for mistakes. Also, the father is always referring to himself as パパ while the son refers to him as たっくん。 Plus, I'm pretty sure that they were shopping together though I'm glad you pointed that out, Bueller-san, because there's the possibility he sent the son off to fetch stuff. Still, I think it was the father's fault.

Can you use 「なになにも同じだ。」 to get a meaning of "it's like you" ?

thanks!
AKA パンク野郎

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » July 8th, 2006 9:23 pm

Eh, ignore my last post please. Bueller-san was correct. It was the son apologizing and the dad saying the sentence.

Sorry!
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 9th, 2006 5:02 am

KeithH wrote:Could someone please translate 「一面もある」 for me? I've seen this construction a few times but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

面もある (めんもある) is a good one.
As Brody suggested, it basically means: "side"
いい面もある: "there is also a good side", "it's not all bad", etc.
悪い面もある: "there is also a bad side", "it's not all good", etc.

KeithH
Been Around a Bit

新居

Postby KeithH » July 17th, 2006 7:03 pm

Ok, another one - what does 「新居」 mean? I was hoping it meant "new home" as in "I'm moving to a new home."

Jason

Re: 新居

Postby Jason » July 17th, 2006 10:44 pm

KeithH wrote:Ok, another one - what does 「新居」 mean? I was hoping it meant "new home" as in "I'm moving to a new home."

According to EDICT, yep, that's what it means.
Jason

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 12th, 2006 10:31 pm

I understand these sentences mostly but I can't quite get the semantics down:

油をコンロにかけていることを忘れてしまったのだ。油は信じられないくらい大きな炎を上げていた。

At first, I translated this as: "I forgot to put cooking oil on the stove. The oil caused/started an unbelievably huge flame."

Yet, looking at it, if in the first sentence "I" forget to put oil on the stove, how can the oil in the second sentence cause a fire? I then remembered that かけている is kind of tricky to use in that it can mean "did, but didn't finish" or the likes. So I thought maybe the first sentence was "I forgot that I had put oil on the stove." I think this makes sense since the verb is in the progressive tense (かけている), and it would also explain the oil's presence in the second sentence. Also, later he tells of how he frantically threw water on the oil (which only spreads the oil and makes it worse) and casued a huge explosion, so I definitely know there was oil present.

I guess my question boils down to being about the first sentence: 油コンロにかけていることを忘れてしまったのだ。 I originally thought this would be "I forgot to put oil on the stove" but since the verb is ている, does it mean "I forgot about putting oil on the stove (ie I forgot that I put oil on the stove)?

Thanks!
AKA パンク野郎

Jason

Postby Jason » August 12th, 2006 11:01 pm

I think your reasoning in your last paragraph is right.
Jason

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 12th, 2006 11:13 pm

Thanks for the reply.
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 13th, 2006 12:12 am

Jason wrote:I think your reasoning in your last paragraph is right.

Yeah.

かける, in this case, doesn't mean half-done. (i.e. 食べかけのご飯=partially eaten rice). It simply means "to put on".

The hint is that "〜ていることを忘れてしまう" is EXACTLY the same in English: "to forget that something is ~~"

If he had forgotten to put the oil on the stove in the first place, he would have said かけ忘れてしまった.

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 13th, 2006 7:38 pm

Thanks to both of you. I figured it was "I forgot that I had" but I had never seen that construction before and I didn't want to go off on my own assumption; thanks for confirming it.
AKA パンク野郎

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 13th, 2006 10:49 pm

Alright! I'm back with yet another question (sorry!)

「それだけで病気だ」

In the sentence: 「それだけで病気だ」と言われている一人っ子だよ。
"I'm an only child about whom it's said '???'"

That's pretty much all the available context. The narrator is explaining about himself. He goes on to say, それだけじゃなくて、ぼくは他にもいろいろ問題をかかえているんだけど。。。 plus, he IS a sickly person. Still, I can't garner any clues from other sentences.

I guess それだけで病気だ means something like, "the only thing is, he's sick"

I know それだけで literally means "with it being just that," so is it implying that he was sick because he was an only child?

Muchas gracias! (woops, wrong language...)
AKA パンク野郎

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 13th, 2006 11:02 pm

Sorry about replying to my own post. Just doing some thinking out loud.

I think it is conveying the idea "It's bad for a child to be an only child" thus it would translate as "I was an only child about whom it was said "it's bad for him to be an only child."

Could anyone confirm this idea?
AKA パンク野郎

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”