a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Will there be work?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Robyn90
New in Town

Will there be work?

Postby Robyn90 » June 2nd, 2010 11:02 pm

I have applied to a University in my homeland Norway to study Japanese there.
But my Parents are not very happy about it and says i will be wasting
years in school for my hobby. They are trying as hard as they can to
change my mind.
They are worried about my chances to get a job and actually use the
language. This is also where they actually start to get to me. That is why i am asking you guys.
What chances do i get at a job involving Japanese as a Norwegian girl? I`ve heard that being an english teacher in japan probably isnt possible becouse they want native speakers.
If i study Japanese will i get a job? What kind of jobs could they be?

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » June 3rd, 2010 1:28 am

Why do you need a university to teach you? You can study anything you want by yourself; the only reason to go to university (and pay thousands of pounds for it) is for the qualification. With Japanese, you can get that through the JLPT any time you're ready. You can also study what you want, how you want and when you want. I have also spoken to more than one Japanese graduate who was well below JLPT1 level (possibly lower). Even after N1, you've still got a long way to go to become anywhere near native level.

If you love Japanese, study it hard in your free time, get yourself a marketable degree, and move to Japan. Surely the best way to use the language is in the country itself.

This is just my opinion of course.

Get 40% OFF
bogart96
New in Town

Postby bogart96 » June 3rd, 2010 7:53 am

Work as a translator? Interpreter?
Teachers and senior students at your university should be able to give more practical hints than you might expect from this forum.
Connect with Norwegians who already have a degree in Japanese, and ask about their work (blogs, Twitter, homepages, etc. etc.)
Search the internet for all kinds of institutions and companies in Norway involving Japanese, and try to ask there.
Can you seriously imagine this situation: you're absolutely on your own, no parents there to pay for your university fees, not even for your daily food, clothing and shelter, not now and not after your graduation. Would you still choose Japanese as your career? And if yes, what would you need to do, where would you turn to in such a situation? (A change in perspective sometimes helps to find answers).
From the internet, I know 2 German ladies who work freelance as translators Japanese->German (fiction and non-fiction books, leaflets, technical handbooks, ... ... ...). But this is Germany, not Norway, so no help to you. And also: apart from English, they speak at least 1 other foreign European language.
Have you considered studying Japanese AND French/Spanish/Italian/whatever? Or rather Japanese AND, say, business administration or any other non-language related subject?
Good Luck to you!

Robyn90
New in Town

Postby Robyn90 » June 3rd, 2010 12:46 pm

to Bogart96.
I am well aware that i have to combine Japanese with another study. Marine biology would be smart since Norway trade tonns and tonns of fish with them every year. That is not the real question. What i am asking is what possibilities do i have.
If i get accepted to the study i need to be sure that translations and fish arent my only options. That is why i am asking this forum what kind of work a foreigner who isnt English or American can do. My Main concern is that if i get a bachelor decree and i find that people who can speak and write Japanese arent needed i`ll end up as one of those "Eternal" students who`s loan just gathers and takes 50 years to pay down.
Fun Fact: Norwegian Student dont pay the university. We do however get a loan from the state so we can support ourselves (even without support from our parents) when we study. When you are done with the study and presumably get a job you pay it back. This is enough for daily food, clothing and shelter. But it is a loan. That is why i need to figure out , like i said, what kind of jobs a foreigner who isnt english or american can get. That is all i want to know.

tanitayou
Been Around a Bit

Postby tanitayou » June 3rd, 2010 8:26 pm

Only my experience. I know people ( not English native) living and working in Japan and they have a specific job. They are engineers or computer/technology/ technicians and the japanese was not the first thing requested by the companies they work with. But one of the abilities that allowed them to get the job.
I know also people working as translators, but, if the japanese company call the translators, often they prefere a Japanese who knows another language very well ( because of their degree, but also because living in another country and married with a native of this language).

I think it would be better to consider a very specific job and add the fluency in Japanese as an additional ability.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”