Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Can foreigners get professional graduate jobs in Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

fireemblem8088
New in Town

Can foreigners get professional graduate jobs in Japan?

Postby fireemblem8088 » May 15th, 2010 12:52 pm

(eg. Engineering, commerce/accounting, law, architecture, etc.)

And if so, what level of Japanese proficiency is required?

It seems that the majority of foreigners I meet in Japan work as English teachers, and to do this little to no experience or qualifications are needed in any discipline. But I believe that foreigners are sought after in other fields too. I often hear of international companies sending their employees to Japan. However, these people have usually already proven themselves to their own branches of their companies...
I suppose my question is: is it difficult for us to apply to these types of Japanese companies directly, having only just graduated from university?

(Personally, I'm interested in engineering, as I just graduated in that discipline last year. I'm currently working as an ALT in order to pick up more of the language, but after this I'm very interested in working here in my own profession. I would say my Japanese is at an intermediate level, but I've never taken the JLPT.)

fuwafuwa
New in Town

Postby fuwafuwa » July 2nd, 2010 11:31 pm

The easiest way to get a job in Japan is through University, but language proficiency is more important, because most of the company will ask N2 or higher. Why not try to apply the job to Robert Walters, Panache, CareerCross, Hays, Mynavi, etc to see the possibility?

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 11th, 2010 11:50 pm

Working your way up through a company is not always a guarantee that you'll be sent overseas. I had the desire and experience to come to Japan, also was single with no family, and was turned down again and again. They kept giving the jobs to married with children people who could care less about coming to Japan. They shouldn't have looked shocked when I gave my resignation when I found an ALT job two years ago. :)

It seems to me that people should start to minor in Japanese just to be fluent before they come here. Trying to learn the language while teaching English is nearly impossible unless you can keep your English at work.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » July 13th, 2010 11:05 am

Passing N1 should be your top priority really. If you're already intermediate, why not take some practice tests online? If N2 is too difficult, aim to pass it in the winter, and you can push for N1 in summer.

You might want to practice formal Japanese with your friends or a study partner as well. The JLPT doesn't really show that you can actually use the language, so coming across as proficient in interviews surely wouldn't hurt.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”