Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What qualifications are often desired to teach Japanese?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Satelle
New in Town

What qualifications are often desired to teach Japanese?

Postby Satelle » December 7th, 2009 12:46 pm

I want to teach Japanese to English speakers, that is my passion and goal. To share this wonderful language and culture with the world will be very satisfying. I am very smitten with the format of the JPod101 learning system and this makes me very interested in a career with companies involved in interactive web-based teaching and learning. I would like to know what qualifications I realistically need to get into this type of work as well as others including:

-Translation work (in various contexts such as business, media, other?)
-Being a Japanese teacher in a Language School based in Japan or elsewhere
-Any other intermediate, stepping-stone type work I could get in Japan or elsewhere?

Do employers favour a candidate with a formal degree comprising a Japanese major over someone who hasn't a tertiary qualification but is fluent and passed the JLPT1? Any idea on how difficult it would be to get Japanese teaching work in Japan with fluency but sans degree? What specific short courses could/should be done for people with JLPT1 to increase their likelihood of employment (i.e some courses in teaching or translation work)?

My particular circumstance is that I have a degree in an unrelated field (Science) and am wanting to continue diligently learning Japanese to attain fluency and pass JLPT1 in 2-3 years time. I want to avoid doing a degree (for various reasons I won't indulge myself with airing here) so what are my prospects for a job down the track?

I would be very greatful if anyone can address some of these (admittedly scattered) queries.

Thanks very much,
Dan/Satelle.

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » December 17th, 2009 3:15 pm

Note: I wrote all this before reading that you did not want to go down the path of getting a 2nd degree, sorry. :) I'll leave my responses as they are in any case.

Do employers favour a candidate with a formal degree comprising a Japanese major over someone who hasn't a tertiary qualification but is fluent and passed the JLPT1?

I think so yes. A degree in Japanese linguistics focusing on translation would be the way to go I think.

JLPT 1 is almost always required as well as previous translation experience. A degree while providing formal qualifications will also often give you the opportunity to do an internship to gain some experience before you graduate.

If you are already fluent and have done some freelance translating in the past but don't have a degree you might be able to get a job but a degree is your best choice.

Any idea on how difficult it would be to get Japanese teaching work in Japan with fluency but sans degree?

Teaching jobs often ask for no previous Japanese ability but they will always ask for a degree (in any field). Given that you have a degree you should find yourself in a good position to get a teaching job, even without being fluent.

What specific short courses could/should be done for people with JLPT1 to increase their likelihood of employment (i.e some courses in teaching or translation work)?

Any kind of ESL certification would be helpful in gaining a teaching position. I am not sure of any short courses focused on translation.

I hear CELTA and Trinity are well recognised ESL qualifications.

I hope that is of some help. Hopefully others can pitch in as well. :)
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Get 40% OFF
Satelle
New in Town

Postby Satelle » January 3rd, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks JKid for the response. I have been weighing things up and now want to do the degree and perhaps a masters in translation. Eek. Would love to get an internship in Japan down the line so I will work hard.

I would like to hear of any experiences others have had in teaching Japanese to English speaking adults in their home country and or in Japan. Especially if you have interned or otherwise had work experience with JPod101! Sounds like it would be an absolute blast there :D :D

Also if you're working as a translator in media, entertainment etc. I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks for any answers.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”