a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Berlitz and ECC Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Berlitz and ECC Japan

Postby untmdsprt » September 1st, 2007 5:21 pm

Has anyone heard anything about either? Have you worked for either? I've applied to both and have been invited to an interview with both. What kind of questions do they ask?

I've actually failed one interview because I'm not around children 24/7. I don't mind being around teenagers at all.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » September 2nd, 2007 2:40 am

I've heard good things about Berlitz... though, I thought you had to apply in Japan to work for them.

I've also heard decent things about ECC, more so than for NOVA or AEON.

Expect questions that address your ability to be flexible and adaptable. Expect to do a mini lesson during the interview, so you might want to contemplate how you'd teach different grammatic items. You might also be asked to take a written grammar test.

Also, your views on error correction.
If you have a placement request.
Why you want to teach English in Japan, vs. English somewhere else.

I haven't interviewed in a long time, and am having a hard time thinking of anything else. But, if you do a google search you could probably find some more detailed answers to your question.

Good Luck.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 2nd, 2007 3:10 am

I've found this link: http://www.all-about-teaching-english-i ... japan.html

Good thing I have my grammar books from my TESL certification class. They may help me with the test!!

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » September 2nd, 2007 9:10 am

Unfortunately, you'll find that your TESOL certification won't do you much good here.
(I have a friend with an MA-TESOL, who got an extra 3000/month for having that)

The website you found looks pretty good, there are a few small things that I'm not sure are still correct, and as with all websites take everything you read with a grain of salt.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 2nd, 2007 1:31 pm

At least the TESL class gave me the experience in what to expect in teaching. Just being a native speaker doesn't mean you can actually teach English.

It may give me the advantage over others who've never taught, and will certainly give me an edge over whatever grammar tests.

Berlitz is looking less as a potential employer. The biggest problem I have with them is apartments. That may be why they recruit a majority of the time in Japan.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » September 2nd, 2007 2:22 pm

having the TESOL class experience will definitely be a benefit to you personally, even if the companies don't value it as such... which is really sad, as the companies in Japan tend to have mediocre training). You (and your students) will definitely benefit from what you learned studying TESOL.

don't worry so much about apartments. if you're okay with sharing a house with other people, then there are heaps of guest house options and shared accommodation.
(look at http://www.tokyocityapartments.com/guesthouses-info/ and http://roomshare.jp/ and http://www.oakhouse.jp/eng/index.html. But Berlitz will be a guarantor for an apartment, which means you can go through a regular Japanese agency. like, http://www.chintai.net/.

Lots of the apartments that the english schools provide are pretty rundown. But, outside of Tokyo at least they tend to be good value. Bigger than what you'd expect to pay for the price. (I was living in a 2DK for 54,000, only 45 minutes from downtown Tokyo and I had friends who were a bit further out with 3DKs for the same price)

but, honestly, i think it's better to be able to choose where you want to live, then be stuck where a company places you.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 2nd, 2007 3:01 pm

Hopefully they would give me enough time to look for a place then instead of having to find one over the net.

It's bad enough having to look for a place in the same city. (Which I'm having to do now. :() I don't mind sharing an apartment with anyone as long as they're not a smoker.

I have found that Japan has hostels which I could stay at for at least a week, possibly longer if space permitted. Those are a cheap alternative to hotels.

I'll look at those sites you posted though. Might give me some ideas.

After looking at all the websites, I may just go with what the schools provide. That maybe in my best interest right now.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 3rd, 2007 2:44 pm

I've just had my interview with Berlitz and they want to hire me. :)

I'll be working at the Umeda Language Center. Does anyone have advice of where exactly is it, and the apartments that would be convenient to it? Any links to gaijin houses in Osaka?

Thanks everyone!!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » September 4th, 2007 4:27 am

Congratulations!

Not heard of ECC (I'm not a teacher) but Berlitz has a reputation as being top end of the market. I've heard more than one of my Japanese colleagues been told they obviously have a lot of money if they are going to Berlitz.

Sorry can't help with Osaka but I am sure you will have fun!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 8th, 2007 6:14 pm

After reading a lot of posts on Dave's ESL cafe, I haven't found any negative remarks about Berlitz. My opinion is they seem like the rest as far as salary and work hours. The contract is fairly straightforward, and seems fair enough that you put your time in, do your job, and you get paid.

Housing on the other hand seems like a nightmare!!

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » September 9th, 2007 4:55 am

Congrats on getting hired by Berlitz! And Osaka is a great city.

Check out the http://www.kansaiscene.com magazine. There are other magazines like this in Osaka, but I can't remember their names. They generally have employment and housing listings, sayonara sales, and info about life in Japan.

It might be easiest to book a room at a hostel/hotel for 2 weeks and then find a proper apartment once you're here.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 9th, 2007 1:31 pm

I might as well write my own blog someday about the hassles of finding a job over there. Now I have questions about Berlitz' insurance.

Guess they'll get tired of me asking so many questions that maybe they'll update their website!!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 20th, 2007 10:55 pm

Warning to those who want to work for Berlitz:

Make sure you only apply to the branch in the city you want to work. I was just dropped by the Osaka branch when the Tokyo branch informed them of my upcoming interview with them. Didn't ask why, just dropped me. This is even after they've sent the paperwork to be processed for a visa. :shock:

I do have a question, can they cancel the visa application once it's been started? Can it be transferred to another branch/employer?

TheNationalPool
Been Around a Bit

Postby TheNationalPool » October 5th, 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I was about to make a similar post. I had a terrible experience interviewing with AEON last weekend and am now looking into ECC.

As far as AEON goes, they use the term "group interview" very lightly...meaning there was no "group interview." They seemed rather to ask the most incompetent people to stay for further interviews, I'm assuming because they might put up with a bad company longer than more qualified people would. That's just my impression. It was a incredibly frustrating.
www.thenationalpool.com

www.ModernMusicBusiness.com
"A podcast for the new era of the Music Business"

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » October 5th, 2007 8:49 pm

I'd stay away from Berlitz. My interview with ECC went well, and waiting to hear from them. If Berlitz does come through with the visa they already started, I plan to go over in November as planned and find private students to support me while looking for a regular job.

If they don't, then I'm going to have to wait until March and try again with companies.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”