a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

MOVING TO JAPAN TO WORK

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

chloes
New in Town

MOVING TO JAPAN TO WORK

Postby chloes » May 12th, 2006 3:42 pm

My partner and I are planning to move to Japan to work next year.

I'm still only intermediate at the language, so think that an English teacher will be my only work option.

Who has done this?

Any tips?

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 16th, 2006 1:33 pm

If you have a degree and aren't in a hurry your best option is with the JET program. The JET program is run by the government of Japan to higher mostly young recent graduates to come work in Japanese schools (for the ALT - Assistant Language Teacher - there are several other types of positions within JET but the ALT is the most popular).

The pay is good and the vacation is good and the support is good and they will pay for your flight there and back. But they only higher people once a year and the application process is comparatively lengthy.

On the other hand there are a number of English Language Schools which higher people year round. Some of the more popular ones are NOVA, AEON, GEOS. The pay isn't as good and the vacation isn't as nice and the hours are wacky (noon - 9:00 pm). But, it is a quick way to get to Japan and once you are there if you don't like your school you can start searching for another job.

Get 40% OFF
Nekomata
New in Town

Postby Nekomata » May 17th, 2006 9:57 am

Satsujin wrote: Some of the more popular ones are NOVA, AEON, GEOS. The pay isn't as good and the vacation isn't as nice and the hours are wacky (noon - 9:00 pm). But, it is a quick way to get to Japan and once you are there if you don't like your school you can start searching for another job.

I have only heard bad things about NOVA (which is the biggest company I think) from other people who worked there. I have never worked as a language teacher myself though so I can't confirm it, perhaps there is someone else that has? From what I've heard Berlitz is a better employer overall.

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 17th, 2006 7:13 pm

They refer to NOVA as the McDonald's of the eikaiwa company's. I never worked there but I know people who have and some of them were pretty happy. NOVA is a lot more flexible with their hiring practices. If you get a working Visa in Japan then they will probably hire you directly in Japan and allow you flex/shift work and won't require a degree.

Most of the other companies will only hire through their recruitment campaigns in English speaking countries and will require a degree (this makes it easy for them to get the working VISA for you) so if you are already in Japan Nova is a good option to work to gain experience and give you a source of income before you can find something better.

So if you are going for a one year contract and want the company to get your Visa you are better off going with another company. However, if you get your Visa independently Nova may be a good temp job....Oh yeah if you work for Nova for a while it is also a good way to set up the Nova students as private students (outside of Nova). This is cheaper for the student and more money for you. Of course, you can do this no matter what company you work for.

helen
Been Around a Bit

Postby helen » May 18th, 2006 4:20 am

I always hear bad things about Nova, but I wonder how bad it could actually be... Personally I want to go on Jet, but if that doesn't work out then my first choice of language school to apply to would be Aeon. I haven't actually done it yet so no real advice, but here are the sites of some schools:

http://www.jesjapan.com/ - smaller school only in the North of Japan
http://www.aeonet.com/ - looks pretty good to me, don't know anyone who's done it but online it seems to get decent reviews
http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/index.html - Jet, definitely best pay, holidays etc
http://www.teachinjapan.com/ - Nova, looked good from the website but if you look around a few forums there are soo many complaints from the people who work there
http://www.geoscareer.com/index.html - this one looks okay

That's about all I can think of! Good luck!

Fred
New in Town

Postby Fred » October 19th, 2006 2:41 am

well i dont want to open a new thread and well this one is in the topic,so.....
the thing is i have a friend that is majorying in linguistics ,basically he wants to go to asian countries and teach english, so first country is going to be japan, possibly in 3 years from now, if i remember correctly he is joining the Jet program, i would like to get a 1 year visa and give it a try to work there for a bit and experience life outside of Canada, but my situation is bad........im specializing in Automotive Mechanics so getting a job there as a mechanic would be close to impossible, some of the reasons its because im a gaijin and well i need tools to work on them, also im a begginer on the language, so is there a chance for me to get something for me to do for like a year, cause besides english teacher there wouldnt be much of a future for me huh??

im heading there during 2007 summer, wish i could go on january for the Tokyo Auto Salon but hey, at least this time it will be with a great group of friends with 2 fluent on the language,but for a month i'll have a good idea of the country.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 19th, 2006 4:40 am

If you're a highly specialized mechanic (i.e you know absolutely everything there is to know about BMWs), I doubt you'd have trouble finding work somewhere in Japan.

Quality workers are in demand all around the world.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 9th, 2007 1:16 pm

I keep getting turned down by Nova and Aeon. Exactly what are they looking for? Both require an essay of why I want to work there, and I believe that's where I'm failing miserably. :cry:

If anyone who successfully was hired by any of these companies, can you tell us your background and what did you write about in your essay?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 9th, 2007 2:32 pm

untmdsprt wrote:I keep getting turned down by Nova and Aeon. Exactly what are they looking for? Both require an essay of why I want to work there, and I believe that's where I'm failing miserably. :cry:

If anyone who successfully was hired by any of these companies, can you tell us your background and what did you write about in your essay?

Make sure your essay is well-written, concise, and that it answers their questions. Have several people proofread it for you. (grammar errors will probably get your application tossed right out.)

I wrote about how my interest in linguistics and language teaching developed and why I feel that studying English is essential in this age of globalization. I wrote about how my past jobs have provided me with skills that relate directly and indirectly to English teaching. I also talked a bit about my international experience, and how traveling in a dozen different non-English speaking countries had improved my cross-cultural communication skills. I emphasized flexibilty, adaptability, and enthusiasm.

They called me for an interview within 24 hours of receiving my application.

If you want to send me your essay, I could possibly offer you some advice.

As for companies:
I know a lot of people who are really happy with Nova.
JET isn't all that people make it out to be. It all depends on where you're placed; I know nearly as many JETs who have left early on their contracts as Nova teachers.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 10th, 2007 1:30 am

Thanks Annie. I'll keep you in mind when I sit down to write it again. For the most part they want to know why you want to live and work in Japan. For one it's been my dream since I was 5 years old. My mom had this music box, and it said "made in Japan". I told her that I wanted to go there. I didn't know where "there" was. But only that I wanted to go.

I guess I could also put in my experience from working at the Home Depot. We had a lot of Mexicans coming in and they would never learn English. They just expected us to learn Spanish. At $9 hour, none of us felt like it would be in our best interest to learn another language. I'm certainly not going to word it like that, but you get the idea. We ended up ignoring these people and helped the ones who could speak English.

My other experience would be to put in my trip to Germany, and having to fend for myself getting around the different cities. My cousin had to work so he told me a few German words but I got around, ordered food, and had a great time.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » June 10th, 2007 6:35 pm

untmdsprt wrote:Thanks Annie. I'll keep you in mind when I sit down to write it again. For the most part they want to know why you want to live and work in Japan. For one it's been my dream since I was 5 years old. My mom had this music box, and it said "made in Japan". I told her that I wanted to go there. I didn't know where "there" was. But only that I wanted to go.

I guess I could also put in my experience from working at the Home Depot. We had a lot of Mexicans coming in and they would never learn English. They just expected us to learn Spanish. At $9 hour, none of us felt like it would be in our best interest to learn another language. I'm certainly not going to word it like that, but you get the idea. We ended up ignoring these people and helped the ones who could speak English.

My other experience would be to put in my trip to Germany, and having to fend for myself getting around the different cities. My cousin had to work so he told me a few German words but I got around, ordered food, and had a great time.

untmdsprt-san! :wink:

Don't generalize Mexican people! Not all Mexicans don't learn English, look at me!
I'm Mexican and I know English/Spanish so more respect to my paisanos. :twisted:

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » June 10th, 2007 6:35 pm

helen wrote:I always hear bad things about Nova, but I wonder how bad it could actually be... Personally I want to go on Jet, but if that doesn't work out then my first choice of language school to apply to would be Aeon. I haven't actually done it yet so no real advice, but here are the sites of some schools:

http://www.jesjapan.com/ - smaller school only in the North of Japan
http://www.aeonet.com/ - looks pretty good to me, don't know anyone who's done it but online it seems to get decent reviews
http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/index.html - Jet, definitely best pay, holidays etc
http://www.teachinjapan.com/ - Nova, looked good from the website but if you look around a few forums there are soo many complaints from the people who work there
http://www.geoscareer.com/index.html - this one looks okay

That's about all I can think of! Good luck!

Thank you Helen-san! :wink:

Those links are very useful!! 8) :wink:

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 11th, 2007 3:39 am

Ulver_684 wrote:untmdsprt-san! :wink:

Don't generalize Mexican people! Not all Mexicans don't learn English, look at me!
I'm Mexican and I know English/Spanish so more respect to my paisanos. :twisted:

Definitely! Moving to another country and learning a new language isn't easy to do.

No offense, untmdsprt-san, but that's not the kind of attitude that's conducive to being an esl teacher.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 11th, 2007 11:51 pm

On the contrary, I don't have an attitude about Mexicans or anyone else for that matter. That wasn't my point in the statement. I'm sorry if you read it wrong. It wasn't my intention. My intention is don't assume that I'm going to know your language. English is the major language in the US, so don't expect me to know anything but that! Sorry, but I am offended!!

BTW, I actually learned some German while on vacation there last year. I made it a point to learn enough of their language to get around. If I had decided to live there, then I would have signed up for the next German class.

My only attitude anyone needs to watch for is my dedication of learning Japanese. I spend 4 hours a day to get myself ready for when I finally move there! :x

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 12th, 2007 7:33 am

untmdsprt wrote:On the contrary, I don't have an attitude about Mexicans or anyone else for that matter. That wasn't my point in the statement. I'm sorry if you read it wrong. It wasn't my intention. My intention is don't assume that I'm going to know your language. English is the major language in the US, so don't expect me to know anything but that! Sorry, but I am offended!!

BTW, I actually learned some German while on vacation there last year. I made it a point to learn enough of their language to get around. If I had decided to live there, then I would have signed up for the next German class.

My only attitude anyone needs to watch for is my dedication of learning Japanese. I spend 4 hours a day to get myself ready for when I finally move there! :x

I meant that ignoring customers who couldn't speak English isn't the type of person that eikaiwa are looking for.

They're looking for people who are going to make an effort to communicate in English, even when the person they're talking to doesn't know more than "Hello. My name is ~~. Bye-bye." and find a way to teach them despite that.

I remember doing one 30-minute trial lesson with an old man who knew that, plus the numbers 1-10. And schools are looking for someone who can make that work.[/u]

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”