Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

~3 month intensive japanese reading programs?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

tanyayuan
New in Town

~3 month intensive japanese reading programs?

Postby tanyayuan » July 5th, 2007 7:11 pm

I love reading Japanese mystery/detective novels, and because I've read probably all the ones available in Chinese and English translation, I've always hoping that one day I could read novels in Japanese. So my questions is, are there any short term, intensive Japanese programs in Japan that specifically targets on reading skills?

My job has nothing to do with Japanese, so learning Japanese is completely motivated by the hope that one day I could read Japanese novels. I have been studying Japanese on and off since high school, and went to Japan as exchange student (the best time of my life!) during college as well, and now I listen to Japanesepod101 to keep the memory fresh :D I'd put myself in the Intermediate level in terms of listening and speaking. However, I'm looking for some program that's not so much on listening and speaking skills, but more on reading. I can read Chinese, so learning kanji is not a problem for me. I'm thinking about taking a couple months off between job switching, and maybe do studying in Japan. Any suggestions?

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » July 5th, 2007 11:03 pm

I'd also like to hear about something that can help increase my reading skills. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Get 40% OFF
Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » August 31st, 2007 9:47 am

I just did Hokkaido International Foundation's 2 month intensive program in Hakodate, Hokkaido. Some things I learned:

These programs are meant to be transferable to a University. In that respect they much teach the same amount of coursework (or what is deemed sufficient) to be able to transfer credit. This means you will learn 4 months of material in half the time (in my case). In order to achieve this goal, the program will burn through material in one day and give you about 4 hours of homework a night, including learning about 50 new words plus kanji (around half or a third of those words), plus readings, plus whatever else. An intensive program, unless is says it stresses speaking and communication, is going to be mostly reading I would guess. At least thats the truth for my program at the second highest level. The highest level had all those readings and even more, 4 hours of homework, had to learn ALL the kanji for those 50+ words a day, but what was cool was they spent the whole class in discussion about the articles and also in debate. My class was deadpan, and didn't really start discussing things until the last month. Sucks since I didn't have reading skills but have excellent speaking/listening skills, but since I partied hard and didn't really study much before the program I was only placed in the second highest class.

But I'll tell you something, I learned a farkload of kanji, have great reading skills now, and really learned a lot from the program. I hated it when I was in it since I didn't do all the homework, rather I opted to spend time with Japanese kids in the local universities Kyudo club among other fun activities. But now that I'm out of the program I'm thankful for everything I learned. And the one most important thing, I got a fat steel toed boot in my ass about studying Japanese seriously, learning Kanji, and pushing farkin hard in my studies. :) Didn't just help in Japanese, helped me in all of my school I think. But we'll see in October when I really start.

So long story short, intensive program = intensive reading unless you are at a lower level Japanese class. Once you get the basics down its all about reading anyway. So I wouldn't go into an expensive program like this unless you are at a higher level. Same thing for study abroad. :) Preparation is key.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”