a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

how to renew a tourist visa (3 months) without leaving japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ziggie
New in Town

how to renew a tourist visa (3 months) without leaving japan

Postby ziggie » July 3rd, 2007 1:25 am

Does anybody has any idea if it is possible to renew for one time your tourist visa without leaving Japan ? I know the best is to go to Immigration Office, and I am ready to do this, however if anybody had any idea about it, it would be Very Nice to hear what you can say about it. Thank you. :?: :D

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Re: how to renew a tourist visa (3 months) without leaving j

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 3rd, 2007 10:45 am

ziggie wrote:Does anybody has any idea if it is possible to renew for one time your tourist visa without leaving Japan ? I know the best is to go to Immigration Office, and I am ready to do this, however if anybody had any idea about it, it would be Very Nice to hear what you can say about it. Thank you. :?: :D

Well, if I understand your question ... I will try to answer it.

In order to get an extention on your tourist VISA, all you need to do is hit the local immigration office and file the paper work for it. Be prepared to give a vaild reason for it though and possibly even documentation to back up your reason.

If you want to change your VISA in order to stay from a tourist to something else...well thats a difficult road. You will need a sponser of some kind. If you are lucky enough to find a company to sponsor you then you have a great chance of staying. Given that case, once you are sponsored, you will need to get a work permit (although this may be part of your new VISA sponsored package your new employer offers). I myself was not sponsored by work, but my spose. This process to go from a tourist to a vaild working VISA/permit took about 3 months total from start to finish.

Does that answer your question, or part of it?
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Get 40% OFF
ziggie
New in Town

extend tourist visa without leaving Japan

Postby ziggie » July 3rd, 2007 11:36 am

Well, thank you for your kind answer. :D

I went today to immigration office, an interesting ride from Shinagawa. As a matter of fact, I was told that only 6 countries' citizens can extend a tourist visa for 3 months, and I am not a citizen of any of these countries (Germany, UK, Mexico, ireland maybe, etc..) :P

Another bunch of countries to which I belong Have to Leave Japan, Go Anywhere, and the permission to Land in Japan Again is Left at the Immigration Officer that will process your Passport. I was told if you can get a Sponsor letter, a ticket Out of Japan, and a Nice Bunch of Money, it is better, but there are no requirements By Law, all is left to the Immigration Officer.

Et Voila !
8)

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Re: extend tourist visa without leaving Japan

Postby TheProfessorOne » July 3rd, 2007 12:42 pm

ziggie wrote:Well, thank you for your kind answer. :D

I went today to immigration office, an interesting ride from Shinagawa. As a matter of fact, I was told that only 6 countries' citizens can extend a tourist visa for 3 months, and I am not a citizen of any of these countries (Germany, UK, Mexico, ireland maybe, etc..) :P

Another bunch of countries to which I belong Have to Leave Japan, Go Anywhere, and the permission to Land in Japan Again is Left at the Immigration Officer that will process your Passport. I was told if you can get a Sponsor letter, a ticket Out of Japan, and a Nice Bunch of Money, it is better, but there are no requirements By Law, all is left to the Immigration Officer.

Et Voila !
8)

Well I learn something new everyday!

I had no idea about that whole "not returing" thing for select countries. Forgive me if my information was misleading at all. I was only speaking from personal experience and the experiences of those around me. Now that I think of it, they are all from the US too.

Well, I hope that whatever happens, you find the decission that fits you best. My best wishes to you and yours.

- Pro
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”