Or sign up using Facebook

Nursing

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

battlehorse
New in Town

Nursing

Postby battlehorse » June 12th, 2007 1:20 pm

Hey,

I'm going to Japan for a year with a working holiday visa, and i was wondering if i could get a job in a nursing home there.

i'm a nurse in canada and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » June 12th, 2007 5:17 pm

i live with a japanese girl who is taking the licensing exam to work as a nurse in the U.S. (eventhough she plans to work with Japanese patients in the U.S. she'll still need to be licensed in the U.S.)

I don't know how it works the other way, but I'd imagine that it's similar. The next time I see her, I'll ask.

Get 40% OFF
battlehorse
New in Town

Postby battlehorse » June 13th, 2007 2:35 am

thanks, cos i can work in the US, Europe and the US without further training

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » July 5th, 2007 11:00 pm

From what I understand, Japan has an entirely different set of qualifications for nursing and medicine licensing (nursing is nursing, but the paper requirements are different.) You will probably find that your license does not apply to Japan's requirements, unfortunately...

Additionally, I have have frequently heard that it is harder to work as a foreigner nurse with Japanese elderly patients, as many do not like being handled by non-Japanese care workers (assuming that you yourself are not of Japanese ethnicity.) This is probably the worst of the problem, as it makes it hard for even non-Japanese who have received a Japanese healthcare education to enter into the workforce.

Maybe your experiences might be different however, so I'd suggest that you still look into it more. This is just a warning of some possible hurdles you might come across.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”