a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Too old to teach?!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Too old to teach?!

Postby Spiderwick » April 11th, 2007 3:59 pm

I am very new to the forum, but I am hoping someone can help me with my query. I am currently an English high school teacher in England and have qualifications of a BA, MA and a PhD. Ihave been studying Japanese for a couple of months now and I am really interested in teaching in Japan. I am about to start the TEFL course which should give some extra weight to my prospects. Someone has recently told me, though, that I am too old now to apply! I'm thirty four and I think the JET scheme has certain age restritions. That said, surely it would be fine for me to apply via the TEFL web page? Also, can anyone recommend any books that will help me in my plans - something that tells me about working visas and anything else that I have to take into account!! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for listening

Anne

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Too old to teach?!

Postby Bueller_007 » April 11th, 2007 5:05 pm

It's generally agreed that there's not much point in getting a TEFL degree if you want to teach in Japan.

You're never to old to teach here, you're just too old for JET.

The easiest path to a visa is to get a job through a major eikaiwa and let them do the leg work. Trying to get a visa in Japan is more difficult.

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Also

Postby JonB » April 12th, 2007 2:48 am

try the International Schools - I know it is not teaching Japanese people English but may offer you the best of both worlds

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Postby Spiderwick » April 12th, 2007 1:07 pm

I's a shame that my TEFL won't count for a great deal in Japan, ah well. I suppose my othr qualifications won't get me far either? I'm thinking about going over sometime September 2008 - I'd like to develop my Japanese before I go plus I want to have a better idea as to what I am letting myself in for :shock: I'm sure there are many things I should worry about, I just don't know where to start. Should I have some decent savings before I go and, if so, how much? Will I be able to access my English bank details from Japan and be able to transfer money? Sorry these are very stupid questions, but I am very new to all of this!

Thanks for the two links - I'm going to try to subscribe so I at least keep up to date in the job market.

Anne

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » April 12th, 2007 1:27 pm

With a MA you can get a job teaching in a University (great holidays!), but those jobs are rather difficult to get out of country. Also, there are lots of private schools that are keen to hire certified teachers,

I think the age limit for JET might be under-40 now.

But, if you're an experienced teacher, you might be dissatisfied with the JET program and ALT work in general.

you need to come here with savings. japanese schools pay once a month. lots of times you won't get your first pay check till you've been here for about 2 months.

for an apartment, i'm estimating initial outlay of at least 400,000 yen just for deposits, agent fees, gift money, 1st and last months rent. (and i'm looking in the cheaper part of tokyo) but, if the school you work for provides an apartment you may not need to worry about all of that.

you can access your international accts, but it's a pain.

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Postby Spiderwick » April 12th, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks for that kind advice, Annie! I'll be sure to make sure I have the savings ready. In addition, the kind of jobs advertised in England for work in Japan are like the following from the California Language Institute:

TEACH ENGLISH IN JAPAN
We are looking for reliable, enthusiastic, energetic graduates to teach children in our schools across Japan from September 2007 and April 2008.

No teaching or TEFL experience is required. Contracts are 12 months in duration and are renewable. Must like children. Amongst our benefits are the following:

Subsidised, fully furnished single apartments (aircon/computer/washing machine/telephone etc)
Competitive salary and flight allowance
Paid orientation/training in Japan prior to contract
Subsidised health insurance
32.5 contract hours per 5-day working week
Full, on-going support before, during and after your contract

This seems like a good deal, or am I mistaken? (Wages have not been mentioned, though!)

Anne

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 12th, 2007 2:51 pm

annie wrote:for an apartment, i'm estimating initial outlay of at least 400,000 yen just for deposits, agent fees, gift money, 1st and last months rent. (and i'm looking in the cheaper part of tokyo) but, if the school you work for provides an apartment you may not need to worry about all of that.

That's insanity. I got a nice 1DK place a 5-min ride from downtown Osaka (5 min walk to the station) for 65k fully-refundable deposit and no key money.

Either you haven't been shopping around or you've given me yet another reason to hate Tokyo.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » April 12th, 2007 3:06 pm

Spiderwick wrote:Thanks for that kind advice, Annie! I'll be sure to make sure I have the savings ready. In addition, the kind of jobs advertised in England for work in Japan are like the following from the California Language Institute:

http://www.cli-kids.co.jp/e/index.html

¥250,000/month (standard), 22 days paid vacation (pretty good, but they force you to take it over the busy periods--you have no discretionary days off), they give you ¥40,000 for your airfare upon arrival (most companies don't subsidize until you've completed your contract, and that's IF they subsidize it at all), rent is ¥67500/month+utils (furnished single apartment, but the rent is a bit high if you're not in a major city), they only pay 95% of commutation fees (100% is standard), 2 days off per week--not necessarily consecutive but always includes Sunday (not good--most companies guarantee full-time workers two straight days off).

I would say it's a semi-decent contract if you were looking to do nothing but work or go clubbing on Saturday nights, but if you're looking to travel in Japan, you're kind of up sh*t creek with those days off.

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Postby Spiderwick » April 12th, 2007 7:09 pm

Bueller_007
I would say it's a semi-decent contract if you were looking to do nothing but work or go clubbing on Saturday nights, but if you're looking to travel in Japan, you're kind of up sh*t creek with those days off.

Thanks so much for your advice - I'll be sure to try to read between the lines in future! I've been browsing the tefl.com web page and that seems to offer a wider variety of opportunities to teach in Japan. Hopefully, before I start applying late this year/early next year I'll be more switched on about the whole thing. Is there any advice you could offer - positives and negatives? Really want to make sure I'm prepared for the worst. Hopefully there will be a good support system for advice and guidance.

Anne

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » April 13th, 2007 12:28 am

Bueller_007 wrote:
annie wrote:for an apartment, i'm estimating initial outlay of at least 400,000 yen just for deposits, agent fees, gift money, 1st and last months rent. (and i'm looking in the cheaper part of tokyo) but, if the school you work for provides an apartment you may not need to worry about all of that.

That's insanity. I got a nice 1DK place a 5-min ride from downtown Osaka (5 min walk to the station) for 65k fully-refundable deposit and no key money.

Either you haven't been shopping around or you've given me yet another reason to hate Tokyo.

I've only just started looking but...
In terms of money needed to move into an apartment I thought that deposit, agent's fee, and first and last month's rent were all inescapable. (so, that's 4 months there)

Add in a month of the "gift" money (and realistically, all of the apartments with no gift money seem to have significantly higher monthly rents) and that's 5.

Plus, I may not have a guarantor- evidently lots of places don't care so much. but others make you go through a guarantor company (who charges you another month's rent, bringing it up to 6 months)

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » April 16th, 2007 5:01 am

renting in Japan is very hit and miss - the key money thing is beginning to show signs of a demise but it is still there to a large degree. Also a lot of places won't rent to foreigners - especially of Asian origin.

On the whole I would agree with Annie - plus look to fight to get your deposit back! Even though Japanese do not tend to take much care of their homes (DIY is not so big here) and knock them down and rebuild every 20 years or so - they still expect aparments to be pristine on hand back. Natural wear and tear does not seem to be in the vocabulary!! I will have been living in my place for over 4 years when I move out at the end of the year - could be interesting... Some people, hoever, just get lucky!

For accessing UK money - I think things are easier now. If you have visa on your debit card then you should be able to access your money through the post office ATM's which will give you instructions in English. If you bank with Citibank open a JPY savings account then you get a good exchange rate as well.

Teaching English - I can't comment on as that is not me

Good luck!
JonB

Robato
Been Around a Bit

working in Japan

Postby Robato » April 18th, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi all, good information all round here.

Basically you do not need TEFL to work in the English game in Japan as has been said.

However it will help rather than go against you.Like most bits of paper it takes you to an interview stage.In my case after 6 weeks of being in Japan I got work with a conversation school it was nearly 10 years ago and the salary was very good and only 24hrs a week.I was hired on the basis that i had a degree,presentable so wear a suit and tie.Met many who had TEFL and they will usually say its important etc. also the more serious minded have this certificate.To move along when i got a job with another place a business orientated school for part time work they knew i had the ability and experience and I was given the job but they used the fact that I did not have a TEFL etc so paid me a little less.

I do not and still do not have TEFL as I have left Japan.

However if I was to advise I would say do the TEFL cos in the long run it will give you confidence, will justify your teaching position with others over there, will help you to apply for all the jobs as opposed to some of them . Also you may find opportunities in S Korea and China again TEFl not necessary butyou can apply for more things with confidence.

God Luck just go and take yer money!!

i didnt do this but another answer
---find someone who has TEFL get all the notes and swat it up and then just say you have it !! stick it in yer bag and on yer CV !!!.Photocopy the certicate and put your name on it !!! many have done that with actual degrees!!!nobody will ever know!!
Your degrees outway a friggin TEFL which will take up perhaps needed cash for going over there.

Good Luck

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”