a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Living in Japan for 10 months.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

erikthomas
New in Town

Living in Japan for 10 months.

Postby erikthomas » February 4th, 2007 8:17 pm

First post here, so allow me to introduce myself. I'm Erik Thomas, and I hail from Canada.

I have been actively pursuing an opportunity to live in Japan for 10 months for my last year of high school. It's essentially an exchange program, but my family doesn't require hosting a student. Just another Japanese student comes in my place.

I'm looking very forward to it, I have no idea where I'll be place. This Podcast has been indispensable with learning Japanese. I'm finding it more effective than a University course I took!

Any other exchange students? Or just students studying in Japan?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 5th, 2007 1:05 am

Sounds like a great opportunity. Good Luck. I was an exchange student in University, but would have loved to have the chance in high school.

I think you'll have an especially good time sitting in English class. :D

From what I've heard, if you're really lucky they'll give you some intensive Japanese lessons during that time, but usually not.

Get 40% OFF
Bloodborne
New in Town

Postby Bloodborne » February 9th, 2007 2:40 am

I will hopefully be going to Japan as a foreign exchange student next spring. I agree in that JPOD101 is one of the best Japanese learning tools out there. As for classes, the school that has direct exchange with my college offers mainly courses in Japanese and Japanese culture, so it shouldn't be hard to find those kinds opportunities!

I'm sure you'll have a great time, as I hopefully will too. :)

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 10th, 2007 2:35 am

I'm waiting to see if I get accepted to Oita University for a year starting in September. We'll see what happens...

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » February 12th, 2007 2:46 pm

Isn't it true that you have to speak (almost) fluently japanese for university exchange?
I am at art university and I read on all the japanese art university website you had to speak japanese and for a master study also write.

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 13th, 2007 1:04 am

Yoshiko wrote:Isn't it true that you have to speak (almost) fluently japanese for university exchange?
I am at art university and I read on all the japanese art university website you had to speak japanese and for a master study also write.

Depends on the school and program. There are some exchange programs (like at Oita U) that require NO prior Japanese. Others assume you will be fluent. It really varies, so check each program separately.

Generally, for grad school, you do have to be proficient (because you will be reading and writing college level Japanese, just like graduate exchange students from Japan do here.) But for undergrad, you can find numerous programs requiring only basic ability, and some, none.

jyz92
New in Town

Postby jyz92 » February 14th, 2007 6:59 am

wow lucky u could u introduce me to that program??? :P

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”