Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Samurai vs. Ninja

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

joemomma013344
New in Town

Postby joemomma013344 » March 5th, 2012 5:10 am

I've read of ninja being used as traditional troops at times and being very effective in that role. I would have to say that I favor the samurai though. I guess I'm more into the honorable knight thing. With that said if challenged to a fight by either I would without shame run the other way! LOL!
ジョー・ハームリク

gcarter551416
New in Town

Ninja vs. Samurai

Postby gcarter551416 » August 6th, 2012 1:27 am

Ninja would win hands down. The ninja were the elite warrior in Japan like our modern day spec ops. They studied the same combat tactics as the samurai and improved upon them. To begin with, most ninja clans were samurai - the only exception of course being the Momochi Clan. The ninja trained in battlefield tactics as well as espionage. There are even schools of ninjutsu today that teach how to fight wearing armor such as Kukishinden Ryu and Takagi Yoshin Ryu. Ninja trained from the age of three in martial arts designed to defeat other warriors like the samurai. Other than the katana, yari, and naginata, the ninja also used staffs, guns, and explosives.

Get 40% OFF
natsukoy9313
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby natsukoy9313 » August 7th, 2012 7:48 am

Thank you very much, everyone, for interesting postings!!

I'd also run away if I'm ever challenged, although I doubt that I can actually escape.... :lol:

There are some Ninja villages where we can experience Ninja's tricks and their world. It might be an interesting place to visit! :wink:

Natsuko(奈津子)
Team JapanesePod101.com

watertommyz9255
Been Around a Bit

Re: Samurai vs. Ninja

Postby watertommyz9255 » February 22nd, 2013 7:31 am

Samurai have always been my preference, even going back to Samurai Pizza Cats and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I like the code of honor, and symbolism behind the Samurai. Not to mention the classic film Seven Samurai, which is a great Japanese movie.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Samurai vs. Ninja

Postby community.japanese » February 22nd, 2013 12:55 pm

watertommyz9255-san,
I've never heard of Samurai Pizza Cats!! :lol: Sounds interesting!!

Lately, Japanese people tend to forget "good old" samurai spirits, more and more... :(
There must be something we, "young" Japanese, should learn from samurai movies.

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Japanese History & Tradition”