a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Furigana in lesson transcripts and vocabulary

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Kiliman
Been Around a Bit

Furigana in lesson transcripts and vocabulary

Postby Kiliman » March 2nd, 2007 12:15 am

This is a continuation of the topic started in Ruby characters for the lesson transcripts?

I've started taking the transcripts for the Beginner lessons and adding furigana to all the Kanji. I've completed the first 10 already. It takes about 15-20 minutes per lesson (give or take).

Since the transcripts are only available to paid subscribers, I don't plan on making them available for download (not to mention, they belong to JapanesePod101.com).

Anyway, I have uploaded Beginner Lesson #157 as a sample in both Word and PDF format.

http://www.systemex.net/files/japanesep ... naTest.doc
http://www.systemex.net/files/japanesep ... naTest.pdf

Hopefully JPOD will be interested in getting these versions and making them available to subscribers.

Enjoy!

キリマン

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » March 2nd, 2007 3:27 am

I think it's cool that you're making the effort to furigana the transcripts.

You might want to consider only putting the furigana on kanji the first time it's encountered on the page. I think that might help you to remember the kanji better, since you need to put a bit more effort into reading them. (And that's the way it's done in Japanese novels.)

But, something I'm not sure people realize is that the effort of adding your own furigana can be really beneficial to your studying. Sure it takes longer, but that's all part of the process.

Get 45% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Looks good

Postby JonB » March 2nd, 2007 8:48 am

But why add furigana to katakana? That looks really odd to me.

JonB

Kiliman
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kiliman » March 5th, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I updated the transcript to only display furigana for the first occurrence.

As for furigana on katakana, I agree that it looks weird. I used Word's feature to include the furigana, and it had added it to the katakana so I had left it as is. I have removed them from the new version. I guess if somebody is learning hirigana, they are probably learning katakana at the same time.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments.

The updated versions are available at the same URL. Let me know what you think.

キリマン

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”