a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Catholic weddings in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Taurus
Expert on Something

Catholic weddings in Japan

Postby Taurus » June 18th, 2008 2:13 pm

Does anybody know how easy it is to find a venue for a Catholic wedding in Japan (ie. a Catholic Church)?

My (Japanese) fiancee and I were originally thinking of having a western-style Catholic wedding in Britain, followed by a traditional Japanese ceremony in Japan. But since that might be too expensive, we're now thinking about having a single Catholic wedding in Japan as another way of finding a compromise that will be manageable for all of our friends and family. Does anybody have any experience of this sort of thing? Any advice would be gratefully received!

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » June 18th, 2008 2:51 pm

You don't mention what part of Japan. A quick search reveals there are 16 dioceses in Japan. You might want to check with your local dioceses, and they can probably help.

http://www.cbcj.or.jp/eng/ediocese/index.htm

Get 40% OFF
Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » June 18th, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks, that's a really useful link. My fiancee's family home is in Minami-Ikuta, which is in Kanagawa, Tokyo. But since there's a chance that I'll have loads of Irish hangers-on, and since her friends live all over Tokyo, I guess the location isn't too important.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » June 18th, 2008 3:13 pm

It might be a little tricker then, since the church usually uses the local language, now. You might be able to find a priest that will conduct the ceremony in English or Latin, though.

Until I did that search, and found that link, I was thinking I might need to ask Father several questions as to what other churches I could recieve communion at if I went to Japan for a long vacation. At least I now know the Church has many sites in Japan.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » June 18th, 2008 3:17 pm

What normally happens in my family is that my uncle, who's a priest, talks the local priest into letting him perform the ceremony. In fact, my uncle might do a better job than me of finding a church, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any additional info - so thanks for the advice!

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » June 18th, 2008 3:39 pm

Sounds like you already have the problem of the priest taken care of. Most people I know don't have a priest in their family.

Mike_in_Nano
New in Town

Catholic Church in Tokyo

Postby Mike_in_Nano » June 19th, 2008 12:54 am

Hi
I am an American and Catholic living in Tokyo. I go to the Franciscan Friary (Church) in Roppongi. The Mass is in English the priests are Western. Although some also speak Japanese.

Here is a link http://www.tokyofcc.com/

Hope this helps.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » June 19th, 2008 7:50 am

Thanks, yes it does!

Return to “Japanese History & Tradition”