a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese music

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

eileen123
New in Town

hiez..!!

Postby eileen123 » November 6th, 2009 4:46 am

Nice thoughts have been added, needs no extra addition..!!

Eileen
======================
Job Description

Rocker3829
New in Town

Re: Japanese music

Postby Rocker3829 » December 2nd, 2009 9:28 pm

RebelDogg wrote:Can anyone suggest any good Japanese music?

I've tried listening to some, but I'm having trouble finding anything that suits me that actually has lyrics. I have a very eclectic musical taste but being a musician myself I have a hard time listening to anything... ummm... not good. :wink:

I was actually listening to some j-pop. Akb48 or something like that. I was suprised that before I even knew much Japanese I was able to recall the lyrics to " 制服が邪魔をする"
which is... not really my deal, y'know? But I could get away with singing the lyrics so long as I didn't translate them for anybody. :lol:

Anyway, suggestions? I found a band called Kobukuro which was good. Easy to make out the words (unlike some of the metal I tried to listen to) But I would like to find something more fitting to me.

I listen to a lot of progressive metal/rock, powermetal, classic rock, blues, motown, soul, oldies rock. Older country. Pretty much anything that's good.

Random list of things bands I like, if anyone knows any Japanese language bands that are similar to any of these (P. S. no black metal or hard to understand singers. This is more for hearing the language)

Led Zeppelin, Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, Journey, Judas Priest, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Satriani, Eric Johnson, Rhapsody of Fire, Megadeth, The Byrds, Greatful Dead, Buddy Guy, Bob Marley, Moody Blues, The Band, The Who, Seal, Three Dog Night, Frampton, Doobie Brothers...

That should be good. Like I said, I'm looking for any type of music (though I steer clear of pop-y stuff)

Thanks for any suggestions!

P. S. I need stuff I can find easily on YouTube or elsewhere free online!

Before I start this post, I have to say you are the man! You got a fellow musician here (guitar player) who is a HUGE Prog/Power metal fan (you have no idea how happy I was to hear someone mention DT, Satch, and Megadeth on a site not related to any of those!) as well as a fan of a lot of the music you mentioned on here as well.

There are two bands that I can think of (I don't think they are mentioned yet, maybe the first one but definitely not the 2nd one yet) that may be of interest to ya, X Japan and Kotoko. X Japan isn't really my cup of tea but they have some good songs, and a good bit of em do fall into progressive rock/metal. You should be able to find many videos and songs of theirs easily on youtube and the rest of the internet.

The 2nd band isn't really a band, but a singer. Kotoko I would say falls more into general rock (she has songs that range all over the place from hard rock to Jpop to trance and techno and everywhere in between) but what I like most about her (and you being a musician yourself will appreciate this!) is that she writes her own lyrics, her own vocal melodies, and even composes a good bit of her songs, though not all of them (one of her singles, Kirei na Senritsu, is composed by Marty Friedman, and you can tell it is him once he starts the guitar solo!). I've actually got a video series on Youtube on how to play her songs on guitar so definitely check that out and hit me up on their (http://www.youtube.com/rocker3829), always good to talk to another DT fan

Hope that helps!

Get 40% OFF
Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » December 3rd, 2009 12:34 am

Oh, X-JAPAN is an excellent suggestion for someone who is into rock/metal :D Yes, I recommend checking them out.

And since you both mentioned liking Megadeth, I have to ask... did you know that former member Marty Friedman nows lives in Japan and is fluent in Japanese? :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Friedman_(musician)#Japanese_life
I see him on TV here every once in awhile. Even though he was part of a heavy metal band, he's reeeally into Japanese pop music.
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

brad12
Been Around a Bit

Postby brad12 » November 2nd, 2010 9:23 am

I love music, play the piano and violin and enjoy composing Korean and Japanese songs. I have been studying Korean and Japanese for 3 months so far. Currently a Chinese, Korean and Japanese translator at DBSKnights.

** Learning Japanese |Hiragana | Katakana **

visisl124984
Been Around a Bit

Postby visisl124984 » March 31st, 2011 2:07 pm

Very nice things here! Thanks a lot!

Return to “General Japanese Culture”