Or sign up using Facebook

Attitudes Towards People with Disabilities

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

harryhogue
New in Town

Attitudes Towards People with Disabilities

Postby harryhogue » June 10th, 2009 12:21 am

Konnochiwa,

I have been studying the beginning Japanese lessons off and on; I have never posted on this forum before, however.

I am a totally blind twenty-three year old guy about to go for my certification to teach English as a second language. I would love to teach in Japan, because I am fascinated with the culture, the people, and the language. My question is this: How are blind people treated in Japan? I do not fit the stereotype, to say the least. I travel places independently, I use power tools (I love building things with the table saw, miter saw, etc). Woodworking is a hobby of mine. Mainly, though, it is the independent travel I am thinking that the Japanese people may a bit uneasy about. I understand there are supposed to be some sort of textured things on the sidewalk where blind people are supposed to walk; I think I would find these unnecessary, as I travel based on fague directions rather than using direct routes. Thoughts are appreciated.

In case anyone is wondering how I am writing this, I ahve a program which speaks through synthesized speech whatever is on the screen (I do have a Japanese synthesizer, as a matter of fact). Oh, and one other thing, perhaps better placed in the language area, but if anyone is familiar or knows any contacts for learning the Japanese Braille code I would appreciate it.

Peace, all!

Harry

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 10th, 2009 10:01 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Braille
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~dik/english/codes/braille.html

Here are two links to get you started with your request. The sidewalks here have a yellow insert with either bumps at the crosswalks, or long grooves while walking. You can't miss them because the darn things hurt your feet when you're tired.

The crosswalks themselves have either a beep, bird, or music playing long enough so you can get to the other side. The train platforms have a bird playing through speakers, although I have no idea why.

To be honest, I haven't seen many people who are blind. They are now promoting seeing eye dogs, but the concept hasn't been well received.

Get 40% OFF
harryhogue
New in Town

Re: Attitudes Towards People with Disabilities

Postby harryhogue » June 10th, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful links and ithe thorough reply to my question. That is the most helpful information I have received. It is unfortunate about the birds/beeps; they actually make travel dangerous because they block trafic sounds which I use to cross. People ask me why they wouldn't work, and I say simply because no one would reply soley on the green light as an indicator that they can cross the street, they would still look, and noise-makers block that to an annoying degree, but don't make it impossible by any means, I should add.

Thanks again, and I will talk with everyone soon.

Harry

Konnochiwa,

I have been studying the beginning Japanese lessons off and on; I have never posted on this forum before, however.

I am a totally blind twenty-three year old guy about to go for my certification to teach English as a second language. I would love to teach in Japan, because I am fascinated with the culture, the people, and the language. My question is this: How are blind people treated in Japan? I do not fit the stereotype, to say the least. I travel places independently, I use power tools (I love building things with the table saw, miter saw, etc). Woodworking is a hobby of mine. Mainly, though, it is the independent travel I am thinking that the Japanese people may a bit uneasy about. I understand there are supposed to be some sort of textured things on the sidewalk where blind people are supposed to walk; I think I would find these unnecessary, as I travel based on fague directions rather than using direct routes. Thoughts are appreciated.

In case anyone is wondering how I am writing this, I ahve a program which speaks through synthesized speech whatever is on the screen (I do have a Japanese synthesizer, as a matter of fact). Oh, and one other thing, perhaps better placed in the language area, but if anyone is familiar or knows any contacts for learning the Japanese Braille code I would appreciate it.

Peace, all!

Harry[

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: Attitudes Towards People with Disabilities

Postby untmdsprt » June 10th, 2009 10:11 pm

harryhogue wrote:

Peace, all!

Harry[

Can you get the Japanese version for the Mac? I'd love to have my computer talk to me in Japanese to get more listening practice.

harryhogue
New in Town

Japanese Synth for Mac

Postby harryhogue » June 10th, 2009 11:02 pm

Hello,

I actually ahve no idea, becasue i use Windows Vista. Google "SAPI 5 synthesizers+Japanese" and see what comes up. You should be able to find something.

Hope that helps. P.S. It was not free; it cost $50, but for a serious foreign language student it's well worth it. And especially for me, who otherwise has no access to Kanji.

Harry

Return to “General Japanese Culture”