Or sign up using Facebook

Etiquette Tips for Meeting Japanese Engineers

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jaypunkrawk
Established Presence

Etiquette Tips for Meeting Japanese Engineers

Postby jaypunkrawk » March 30th, 2009 7:06 pm

みなさんへ

I've met Japanese businessmen before at my previous job, and everything went well, but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong or anything that could be perceived as rude. We have some Japanese engineers coming to our office later this week, and I would like to make a good impression as I'm the only one in the office that speaks any Japanese. They have a translator from our office in Japan coming along with them, but I would like to be able to interact with them on some level.

Typically in the past I've bowed and/or shook hands depending on what they were doing and said the ubiquitous phrases 「始めまして」 and 「どうぞよろしくお願いします」. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you for your help! 助けることは、ありがとうございます。
ジョシュ

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » April 2nd, 2009 12:38 am

Hmm, well to me it sounds like you're doing everything right! If you have business cards available, you could hand them out when you are first introducing yourself (business cards are always given out while introducing oneself in a Japanese business setting).
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Join by May 6th
shabetaikata
New in Town

Postby shabetaikata » April 2nd, 2009 11:10 pm

Well, depending on how long the engineers will be in town, how full/empty their schedules are, and if it is their first time to America or Texas, you could play Tour Guide with them if time allows.
I was living in Tokyo for 5 years with a small network consulting company, and I was the only foreigner there. And most of my co-workers were engineers/sales people.

You can show them some places to get some good local/American food. If they are here for a longer period, then they might be interested in finding some place to eat fish, rice, vegetables (beyond salad), and/or Japanese food.

If they like karaoke, find out what they like to sing (e.g. - Beatles, ?).
Sports events? Concerts? Historical places? Unique places?

jaypunkrawk
Established Presence

Postby jaypunkrawk » April 3rd, 2009 6:31 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for the tips!

I think I did okay in meeting them and exchanging 名刺. We're going to a nice sushi bar in Dallas on Sunday evening. That should be a great time to converse and get to know them and of course practice my Japanese. I spoke with one of them in the breakroom yesterday about his hometown, Texas, and the Alamo...of all things. It's his first time here. I'd love to do some karaoke, but I'm not sure if time allows. Hopefully, though, this will lead to more opportunities for me to interact with Japan.

またありがとうございました。
ジョシュ

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » April 4th, 2009 1:25 am

Are you going to take them to a sushi bar in Dallas?
How long will they stay there at the time you meet them?
I wouldn't take them to a Japanese restaurant, except they get homesick for Japanese food.
If I, Japanese living in Japan, were one of them, I would love to go somewhere American I can't touch in Japan.

jaypunkrawk
Established Presence

Postby jaypunkrawk » April 14th, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah, they were taken out to steak one night and something else chiefly American another night. They enjoyed the sushi place, however. One of them had been there once before and thought it was pretty good. I was not in charge of the plans, however, so it was not my decision. Overall, they seemed to have a good time here. I'm keeping in touch with them via email now.

Thanks for the advice!
ジョシュ

Return to “General Japanese Culture”