a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

月(つき)?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mikuji
Established Presence

月(つき)?

Postby mikuji » June 22nd, 2006 1:50 pm

I believe the Japanese have many ways of naming the moon according to time of year, appearance etc.

Can anyone direct me to a site that explains the various terms and how they are used?

Thanks in advance

Mikuji

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » June 26th, 2006 3:22 pm

Well two is monday and month which are getsuyoubi and gatsu or maybe you did mean like fullmoon or something?

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: 月(つき)?

Postby Bueller_007 » June 27th, 2006 3:32 am

mikuji wrote:I believe the Japanese have many ways of naming the moon according to time of year, appearance etc.

Can anyone direct me to a site that explains the various terms and how they are used?

Thanks in advance

Mikuji

Are you referring to the names of the months? In Japanese, all months are named using the kanji for moon. So January (一月) is literally "first moon", February (二月) is "second moon", and so on.

Otherwise, the only really "famous" moon is the autumn moon (秋月, shuugetsu). During this time, you get the full moon of the 8th lunar month. This is called 名月 (meigetsu), or "famous moon". This is when the Japanese do moon-viewing (月見, tsukimi).

The name for a crecent moon is 三日月 (mikazuki), meaning "three-day moon".
Half-moon = 半月 (hantsuki)
Full moon = 満月 (mangetsu)

A quick edict search for "moon" should bring up any other less-common "moon" words.

mikuji
Established Presence

Thanks for your reply

Postby mikuji » June 27th, 2006 8:27 am

You are right, Bueller-007,

I meant the phases of the moon and other special words used for how the moon looks like, as I had heard there are plenty of such definitions in Japanese.

You gave me a good few to start from.

どうも 有難う 御座います

Return to “General Japanese Culture”