Or sign up using Facebook

Start of a class period in Japanese jr high and sr highs

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

deibedo
New in Town

Start of a class period in Japanese jr high and sr highs

Postby deibedo » September 1st, 2008 3:33 am

Senseisamas:

In Japanese, what's it called at the start of a class period when the teacher walks in?
You know...
kiritsu
chumoku (Is that right?)
rei
chakuseki

I'm going to be teaching Japanese 1 at my high school in California soon and would like to have a heading for this routine. Yoroshiku, ne!!

emccormick
New in Town

Postby emccormick » September 1st, 2008 5:50 am

I thought it was just classroom etiquette, from the word of the same name, 礼式, which is れいしき. Individually the kanji are bow and ceremony.

If you don't get a better answer, I know where one may exist. I have a copy of a book I'll have to find. It is on Japanese etiquette, and was used in Japan as part of their formal instruction. It covers such topics as the proper way to bow depending on the situation, how to properly kneel before sliding open a door, the proper uniform for students, so on and so forth. It is a very old Japanese book, and has the foundations for many still practiced formalities in there.

Have not gotten far in the translation, myself. Not enough skill or time. But you can look and see if it covers what you want.

Go to this site:

http://kodomo4.kodomo.go.jp/web/ippangz/cgi-bin/KJN.pl

タイトル sort, under the ア section, the first book, 絵入少国民作法読本 / 大日本儀礼研究会∥編. -- 清教社, 昭和14

Give that a try for children's manners.

Join by May 6th
emccormick
New in Town

Postby emccormick » September 1st, 2008 6:24 am

Oh, and if you think an old book on Japanese manners is odd, try something American.

In the "Complete Book of Etiquette" by Amy Vanderbilt an entire chapter was dedicated to "The Smoking Problem." What it covers is when and where you should smoke, and if I recall, what to drink when smoking. Nothing about health.

Somehow she managed to fit that in after weddings, honeymoons and anniversaries, but before teenagers and travel. But it has been years since I looked at a copy, so I can't tell you all of what her words of wisdom were.

Sometimes I wonder why I collected all these things.

deibedo
New in Town

How about touban?

Postby deibedo » September 1st, 2008 9:08 pm

Arigatou, EMcCormicksan!

As a follow up, "touban" just refers to the person who leads the greeting, deshou?

Yoroshiku, ne!

emccormick wrote:I thought it was just classroom etiquette, from the word of the same name, 礼式, which is れいしき. Individually the kanji are bow and ceremony.

If you don't get a better answer, I know where one may exist. I have a copy of a book I'll have to find. It is on Japanese etiquette, and was used in Japan as part of their formal instruction. It covers such topics as the proper way to bow depending on the situation, how to properly kneel before sliding open a door, the proper uniform for students, so on and so forth. It is a very old Japanese book, and has the foundations for many still practiced formalities in there.

Have not gotten far in the translation, myself. Not enough skill or time. But you can look and see if it covers what you want.

Go to this site:

http://kodomo4.kodomo.go.jp/web/ippangz/cgi-bin/KJN.pl

タイトル sort, under the ア section, the first book, 絵入少国民作法読本 / 大日本儀礼研究会∥編. -- 清教社, 昭和14

Give that a try for children's manners.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » September 1st, 2008 10:18 pm

my school doesn't do those traditional greetings, but we do have a touban each day.... it's the person who is responsible for erasing the blackboard between classes and keeping the class notebook for the day. (the class notebook contains all the handouts from each class, a description of what we did that day, notes from the board, etc)

Rod Wadd
Been Around a Bit

Postby Rod Wadd » September 2nd, 2008 1:42 am

I always hear "ごれいお願いします” from the teachers at the beginning of the class.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”