Or sign up using Facebook

おみやげ Omiyage Question for upcoming trip

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

dat5h
Been Around a Bit

おみやげ Omiyage Question for upcoming trip

Postby dat5h » July 1st, 2008 12:58 am

Hey everybody,

I hope this question doesn't seem silly or strange, but I will be moving to Japan this fall for graduate school. I was wondering who I should prepare to give Omiyage to. Here's who I am thinking as must give:
- My Research Adviser
- Head of the Graduate Program
- Head of the Engineering School

Other people I am unsure about:
- Admissions office staff
- Other Grad students in my lab
- ?! others ?!

Also, I was wondering if all gifts should be the same, or if gifts should be based on hierarchy. Thanks a lot for any advice I can get from you all.

デレック

attwad
Been Around a Bit

Postby attwad » July 9th, 2008 2:35 pm

Same here, I'll also come to Japan in fall and I plan to give to my research adviser high quality chocolates.
A guy that went to the same place as I will 2 years ago told me that it was well appreciated among everybody at the company so I think I'll go with chocolates...

I think that if you come from a country that has a specialty that could be offered as an omiyage that would be nice, try to think about it ;-)

Join by May 6th
Rod Wadd
Been Around a Bit

Postby Rod Wadd » July 10th, 2008 6:26 am

People you'll be working closely with you might want to give a little something special to, rather than basing it on the hierarchy. For a group of people in an office I'd say you can't go wrong with individually wrapped snacks from your home area.

dat5h
Been Around a Bit

Postby dat5h » July 10th, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks a lot to both of you. I've got my plan a brewing!
デレック

Return to “General Japanese Culture”