Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Friendships with Japanese people

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » October 6th, 2010 3:10 pm

untmdsprt wrote:It seems to me that all of the Japanese people I've met are too self-centered around their English learning to actually be a true friend to me.

I've heard others mention it, but personally I can't relate to this experience. It seems that the majority of Japanese have quite a low level of conversational English. Once your Japanese gets above this level, most are too intimidated to speak English. I feel the same about speaking Japanese when somebody is especially good at English.

When there's a big gap, it can be quite a problem to switch actually. If I made a Japanese friend with low-level English, I'd be happy to practise with them, but there are limits. If you're at the pub, you just want to relax and have a fun conversation, not slowly struggle through a conversation while explaining tens of words and grammar points.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » October 7th, 2010 1:21 am

More often than not I get invited to English related activities and never to Japanese related ones. I'm here to learn Japanese and the culture, not participate in stuff related to the USA or other English speaking cultures. I finally had to be direct in speaking to these people that I will only say yes to activities where I'm neither required to speak or teach English, that's also not in a classroom setting.

@Javizy - very true about the pub.

Get 40% OFF
fcheng821469
New in Town

Postby fcheng821469 » October 9th, 2010 3:52 am

I travelled to Japan earlier this year for my first time. I was alone but I did have an online friend who was willing to meet with me, show me around, and teach me a little about their culture.

When I met her I was completely shocked. Here was a woman that I've only met for my first time and she already handed me a large bag of gifts and food. I also introduced her to some of the people in my hostel and she gave them gifts as well. I was very impressed and felt horrible that I didn't bring anything for her upon my arrival. At least she allowed me to pay for her meals but next time I visit I'm going to try to properly return the favour.

Return to “General Japanese Culture”