Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Politics: Is Japan primarily conservative or liberal?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

HeyItsBryan
New in Town

Politics: Is Japan primarily conservative or liberal?

Postby HeyItsBryan » June 27th, 2007 2:17 am

I'm talking about the typical Japanese citizen... do most people lean more toward one side of the fence? Or is it like the U.S., and split pretty fifty-fifty?

I know next to nothing about Japanese politics, and was just kind of curious. I guess I'm talking mostly about moral and social issues (abortion, gay rights, the death penalty, maybe the war in Iraq). I'm probably sounding really clueless, because I don't even know what the hot topics are in Japan right now... I was just using those issues as possible examples.

P.S. I am not asking about your guys' politics... I don't want this to turn into a flame war. 8)

peace123
New in Town

Postby peace123 » July 19th, 2007 1:22 am

I think it's a pretty mixed bag. In a far too simplistic nutshell, when it come to things like family, divorce and gender roles it is pretty conservative compared to the UK and US, but with things like abortion, media and sex it is pretty liberal.

Get 40% OFF
ThisistheHenry
Been Around a Bit

Postby ThisistheHenry » July 26th, 2007 12:13 am

It's hard to compare, really, since conservativeness tends to be so connected to Christianity in the west. Tradition is honored and the family unit is strong (though weakening), but from what I have both come across and heard, such traditions are valued as individuals and traditional morals are not forced onto others. Such as a gay couple wouldn't get looked down upon as they may in America, although a family may be disappointed that their son isn't going to have a traditional life.

However, my experience with Japanese culture is limited compared to a lot of other members on this board and what I have seen of Japanese conservativeness/liberalness may not be as accurate as what others have to say. These are my observations and may very well be wrong.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » October 18th, 2007 12:13 am

Peace123-san! :wink:

I agree with you, we now live in a world were money, morbo, moe is the king! :twisted:

Return to “General Japanese Culture”